FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Blueprint with EFI and Ron Francis wiring harness

Post Thanks / Like

Blueprint with EFI and Ron Francis wiring harness

Hi
    I'm new to the forum, I've been putting together a MK4 since November, I'm at the point of wiring up the motor. I've searched the forum for the info when I've run into questions I've normally been able to find the answers. I haven't be able to find answers on wiring up a Blueprint motor with EFi, and I've got some of the same questions Papa's asked in early Dec. I'd like to confirm a couple things.

in order for the autometer tach to get a signal do you connect from the RF harness - purple coil tach wire to the XFI EFI tach in, this wire goes to the distibutor?

the XFI EFI pink 12volt switched wire to the orange coil/efi wire that comes out of the main portion of the RF harness?

Thanks

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure which distributor you have but mine has a grey "TACH" wire that goes to the XFI and the gauge. (I have the vintage gauges.)
    Yes, the orange coil/efi wire goes to the pink XFI wire as well as to the coil.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    I should clarify. My distributor has a grey wire coming out of it labeled "TACH". I connected that to the xfi tach input wire as well as the RF tach wire. I do not remember what color the RF wire was that i attached it to.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi thanks, I'll get the tach wired up then.
    I wasn't going to run the orange wire over to the coil, but just connect it to the pink. I thought the XFI would energize the coil, but that's not the case? So I need to run the orange over to the the coil also? The orange wire is coming straight from the fuse box after the ignition switch

I've tried to attach an image - I don't know if they'll upload.

Timwiring.PNG

Post Thanks / Like
    I received a lot of help from BB767, Dan at Factory Five, and Johnny at BluePrint. The following is a summary of what I learned:

Assuming that you have the FAST XFI Street EFI system that BluePrint has installed on the engine you should have the following loose wires to deal with from the EFI harness:

- Red: Battery +
    - Black: Battery -
    - Pink: +12v Switched
    - Blue: Fan control
    - Gray: A/C Input
    - Green: Fuel Pump Control
    - Weatherpack connector
    - 36-pin connector

From the coil:

- Gray: Tach wire for the tach gauge (look for the bundle of gray wire near the coil). The coil should already be wired by BluePrint with the loose wire left for you to run to your tach).

Do NOT cut any of the jumper wires at the Ron Francis fuse block as the instruction state!!!

Connections you need to make:

1. Connect the red battery + wire to the positive battery terminal
    2. Connect the black battery – wire to the negative battery terminal
    3. Connect the pink 12v switched wire to a wire that is hot when the ignition is in the on/run/crank positions. The orange RF EFI or COIL wire is a good choice.
    4. Connect the blue fan control wire to one of the RF green Fan Thermo Switch wires. The EFI provides a ground signal on the blue wire when the installed/connected EFI water temp sensor switch closes. This completes the circuit through the RF fan relay and turns the fan on.
    5. The gray A/C Input wire isn’t used unless you are running A/C on your car.
    6. Connect the green fuel pump control wire to the ground wire of the RF inertia switch. This green wire completes the ground connection for the fuel pump, which turns the pump on. The wires coming from the inertia switch plug are clearly labeled as ground and sensor. Be sure to connect to the ground wire. The other end of the ground wire that you cut can be left alone or connected to a chassis ground.
    7. The weatherpack plug on the EFI harness isn’t used, nor is the separate fuel pump relay that came with the EFI.
    8. Connect the loose gray wire from the coil to the purple Coil -> Tach wire in the RF harness.
    9. Connect the large 36-pin connector to the ECM.

I have the GPS gauges, so I didn’t have to make any connections to the speed sensor wires. The blue RF crank wire isn’t used either.

A couple of additional items to think about are where your O2 sensor connector is located. Mine is on the passenger side of the car. Also, there is a plug to connect a handheld programmer or a laptop using the provided adapter. You want this plug accessible in case you ever want to do any custom tuning of the ECM.

I hope this helps you and those that follow!

If you want to get a better understanding of Negative Control Switching, this video helped me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlS56LkAukE

Edit: As you will read further down in this thread, you will also need to provide 12 volt switched power to the + post on the coil.
    Last edited by Papa; 12-29-2017 at 03:09 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you BB767, Papa. for the help. I'll continue wiring things up. Appreciate the help.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Dave, what wire is powering your coil? You may have made the same mistake I did since no one mentions it (Blueprint, FAST, or FFR.) the orange (or other switched power) wire is what powers the coil! I think most EFI systems have a power wire for the coil thus the wire is labeled efi OR coil. In our case it is efi AND coil. The car will not run without it, I tried Brien

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmmski View Post
    Hi thanks, I'll get the tach wired up then.
    I wasn't going to run the orange wire over to the coil, but just connect it to the pink. I thought the XFI would energize the coil, but that's not the case? So I need to run the orange over to the the coil also? The orange wire is coming straight from the fuse box after the ignition switch

I've tried to attach an image - I don't know if they'll upload.

Timwiring.PNG
    Yes, see my question to Papa for more explanation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BB767 View Post
    Hey Dave, what wire is powering your coil? You may have made the same mistake I did since no one mentions it (Blueprint, FAST, or FFR.) the orange (or other switched power) wire is what powers the coil! I think most EFI systems have a power wire for the coil thus the wire is labeled efi OR coil. In our case it is efi AND coil. The car will not run without it, I tried Brien
    Brien,

My coil was wired to the distributor by BluePrint. How many wires are attached to your coil? Mine has two attached - one on each terminal.

Dave

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Brien,

My coil was wired to the distributor by BluePrint. How many wires are attached to your coil? Mine has two attached - one on each terminal.

Dave
    Yes, mine already had two wires attached as well, making it hard to figure out why it would not run! I am not sure where the two wires go but I am guessing the output energizes the distributor and the input (where the orange wire would go) also powers something else although I have no idea what.

Think about it though, if that other wire on the coil input is supposed to be power, where would it (the power) come from? There are no other power wires attached to the engine except the group on the starter and we know where all of those go. I am very curious where it does go, anyone else know?

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys,
    Mine was wired up by Blueprint also. it has a red and orange connected to the coil and a ground. The red and orange run to the distributor then from the distributer I've got a gray wire coming out that connects to the the Tach In from the XFI (similar to your's Papa?)

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I won't know until I try to actually start the car, but I was assuming that the coil was powered by the EFI harness connections through the distributor. The EZ-EFI 2.0 harness actually shows this powered connection.

Of course, the pictured schematic is different than the one on the provided thumb drive. If it doesn't fire, I will pull another wire. I'll put a volt meter on that coil + post today and see if I have power there with the key on.
    Last edited by Papa; 12-29-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went looking thru the paperwork that came with motor, I noticed this.... I see that it has 2 wires to + coil, I'm not an electrical type of guy, I"m guessing there is a solid 12 volts on the orange wire on the RF harness, so we don't need a relay but we need to have 12 volts to the coil. Am I on the same page as you guys? I'll call blue print to get a verification. IMG_1197.JPG.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went looking thru the paperwork that came with motor, I noticed this.... I see that it has 2 wires to + coil, I'm not an electrical type of guy, I"m guessing there is a solid 12 volts on the orange wire on the RF harness, so we don't need a relay but we need to have 12 volts to the coil. Am I on the same page as you guys? I'll call blue print to get a verification. IMG_1197.JPG.
    Nice, that explains a lot!

Post Thanks / Like
    Papa I just noticed that your EZ wiring diagram is different than mine. mine is pn 43227 EZ-fuel harness, mine doesn't show the distributor on it like yours.43227.PNG

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I won't know until I try to actually start the car, but I was assuming that the coil was powered by the EFI harness connections through the distributor. The EZ-EFI 2.0 harness actually shows this powered connection.

Of course, the pictured schematic is different than the one on the provided thumb drive. If it doesn't fire, I will pull another wire. I'll put a volt meter on that coil + post today and see if I have power there with the key on.
    It seems like this should be that case, but again, you personally attached every wire coming out of the XFI harness. Do you see any that send power to the distributor or coil? I think Tim's schematic explains a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I will run the 'Org EFI or coil' wire to the pink wire 12 volt switched and the positive side of the coil. guys thanks for all the help and taking the time to answer my questions.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    So I will run the 'Org EFI or coil' wire to the pink wire 12 volt switched and the positive side of the coil. guys thanks for all the help and taking the time to answer my questions.

Tim
    Sure enough, no power at the coil with the key on. The EZ-EFI 2.0 schematic is one I found on-line before discovering the thumb drive that came with the EFI. You saved me from a big letdown when I finally get to try my first startup. I'll be wiring power to the coil today, and I will use a relay as I'm not sure if that orange wire goes through one or not. My guess is not, but either way it's cheap insurance.

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 12-29-2017 at 02:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure enough, no power at the coil with the key on. The EZ-EFI 2.0 schematic is one I found on-line before discovering the thumb drive that came with the EFI. You saved me from a big letdown when I finally get to try my first startup. I'll be wiring power to the coil today, and I will use a relay as I'm not sure if that orange wire goes through one or not. My guess is not, but either way it's cheap insurance.

Dave
    Tell me about it! What a let down when all it does is crank with no fire! Hopefully you will get that immaculate first start!

Post Thanks / Like
    I wired up the relay today using the EFI/COIL (orange wire) as the trigger and 12 volts switched power to the EFI computer. I'm now getting 12 volts on the coil with the key in the on & crank positions. I pulled the dedicated 12 volt power for the relay off my buss bar, so I'll be guaranteed to have a solid 12 volts through the relay at the coil.