Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Factory Five Halibrand Wheels Non Pin Drive - These do not look right

Post Thanks / Like

Factory Five Halibrand Wheels Non Pin Drive - These do not look right

I just received my Factory Five Replica Halibrands and they do not quite look right. 17X9 Fronts and 17X10.5 Rears

The faux center does not extend past the knock off the same distance from front to rear. There seems to be approximately a 3/8" to 1/2" difference in the amount the centers extend past the knock off ( spinner ) from the front wheels to the rear wheels. Not sure if I am doing something wrong of if it is just an issue with the wheels. The machined surface on the rear side of the wheel is different by the same amount that the centers stick past the knock off.

Does not look right.

Front Wheel ----- Rear Wheel

P1010156.JPG P1010155.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump

Post Thanks / Like
    They look just fine for a faux knock off. Just like my last two FFR's had.

Bill S.
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmargheritis View Post
    Does not look right.
    No, it doesn't. I've got a Mk4 here with 15" FFR wheels. Both front and rear look like the photo of your front, with a thread or so exposed after the spinner is run down. Looks like the center is not seated at full depth on the rear wheel for some reason Can't say why that may be without seeing inside the wheel though.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to asnwer for the techs casue this it their forum but I know why its like that. If you read my post on here about the FFR fronts not fitting, the fix was to machine the fronts deeper so the wheel will seat on the hub. To do this it moves the spinner hub out about 1/2". My corrected wheels jsut arrived Thursday and when I opened them I saw what they did to resolve the problem. If you look inside the wheel you should see the shiney area that was cut away.

HTH
    Denny
    Mk IV #7365 Ordered 9/27/10, Pick-up 10/30/10, Go Cart 7/30/11 302 cid 030, Carburetor, T-5, 4 Link, Completed 5/27/12, Grabber Blue / Kona Blue
    "One day your car will be working and you'll see a reflection of yourself in a shop window, and trust me on this, that will be good" J.C.
    http://s841.photobucket.com/user/BLTFRDTUF/library/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BLTFRDTUF View Post
    I hate to asnwer for the techs casue this it their forum but I know why its like that. If you read my post on here about the FFR fronts not fitting, the fix was to machine the fronts deeper so the wheel will seat on the hub. To do this it moves the spinner hub out about 1/2". My corrected wheels jsut arrived Thursday and when I opened them I saw what they did to resolve the problem. If you look inside the wheel you should see the shiney area that was cut away.

HTH
    The fix is apparent in the photos below. My front wheels were machined pretty much as far as they could go. I understand that there were issues with fitment on the donor spindles but that this was not the case with the Factory Five Spindles on the Mk4.

The end result is that now the front center section protrudes out past the spinners approx. 1/2" further than the centers on the rear wheels. this makes for an odd look and the fact that mine are the 15 Year Anniversary Centers makes the difference that much more apparent.

I am in hopes that I can get a pair of unaltered front wheels for my build as this issue was not one which affected my build.

Below are a couple of pictures that show the machined fronts and the unaltered rears. the picture of the altered wheels is of the wheel that was machined way too far. Almost all the way through.

P1010158.JPGP1010159.JPG
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 07-15-2011 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Pictures not shown

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your pain but I have been waiting for wheels that fit since October 2010 when I ordered the kit and I'm at the point that I'll take what I can get. Apparently they are machining them all for inventory reasons (again, I'm not a Tech and this is their forum). When I first saw how they corrected the problem my though was it was just a patch and not a real fix since I was told it was a casting issue. The replacement fronts that arrived on Thursday didnt come with spinner hubs, I dont know if they have a plan to send out different, shorter hubs for the fronts but somehow I doubt that is going to happen. Again maybe a Tech can chime in.
    Good Luck
    Denny
    Denny
    Mk IV #7365 Ordered 9/27/10, Pick-up 10/30/10, Go Cart 7/30/11 302 cid 030, Carburetor, T-5, 4 Link, Completed 5/27/12, Grabber Blue / Kona Blue
    "One day your car will be working and you'll see a reflection of yourself in a shop window, and trust me on this, that will be good" J.C.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ttt for the techs...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    The rear adapter looks like it is not pushed through and threaded all the way. It must be spinning behind the wheel while you are trying to tighten it. You can try to silicone where the threaded adapter touches the wheel to stop the adapter from spinning.

Best regards,
    Brian Zakrzewski
    FFR Tech & Sales

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian

Please refer to the photos on post number 6.

The centers from front to rear are off by the same dimensions as that which has been machined out of the fronts. The centers are properly seated. I do not know what is going on with the current castings. I suspect that they changed something when they machined the front wheels. Perhaps the centers were longer on the previous batch. I may take a drive south to a friend that received a set of anniversary wheels from the earlier batch. he states that his are all correct with no issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can any one give me the overall length of their centers for the Halibrand wheels?

I am willing to bet that the new front wheels I received were machined to fit the donor hubs and have shorter centers for proper fit. I also beleive that Wheels Replica sent me four sets of the new front wheel centers and spinners. My 15 year anniversary centers are supposed to be on their way to me. I bet that the two for the front will be too long.

All speculation on my part but nothing else makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can any one give me the overall length of their centers for the Halibrand wheels?

I am willing to bet that the new front wheels I received were machined to fit the donor hubs and have shorter centers for proper fit. I also beleive that Wheels Replica sent me four sets of the new front wheel centers and spinners. My 15 year anniversary centers are supposed to be on their way to me. I bet that the two for the front will be too long.

Your right, do the math, if you machine 1/2 out of the wheel the spinner hub is going to stick out farther. I'm jsut going to machine a 1/2 spacer to go in back of the spinner for the fronts in hopes it wont be as noticable.
    Denny

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you're going the wrong way Denny. In the photos accompanying post #1 above the front is correct and the rear is wrong. The spinner needs to engage ALL of the threads on the center adaptor (see how there is some thread visible on the front). The rear is obviously not threaded on fully and although you can't see it in the photo it doesn't look like it is on far enough for the spinner's setscrew to tighten onto the center adaptor. I think the answer is removal of material on the rear wheel so that the center can protrude farther out the front face.

Here's a shot of a properly fitted spinner/center. Notice that it is like the photo of Lmmargheritis' front wheel.

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Kleiner; 07-20-2011 at 04:42 AM. Reason: added photo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I think you're going the wrong way Denny. In the photos accompanying post #1 above the front is correct and the rear is wrong. The spinner needs to engage ALL of the threads on the center adaptor (see how there is some thread visible on the front). The rear is obviously not threaded on fully and although you can't see it in the photo it doesn't look like it is on far enough for the spinner's setscrew to tighten onto the center adaptor. I think the answer is removal of material on the rear wheel so that the center can protrude farther out the front face.

Here's a shot of a properly fitted spinner/center. Notice that it is like the photo of Lmmargheritis' front wheel.

Jeff
    Jeff your right, if the rears were macined also they would be the same. My rears have vertually full thread contact. The reason the fronts were machined was to correct them not fitting the fox spindles. Orginally I was told it was a casting issue. So if what your saying is correct, I should be seeing a set of new rear wheels in my future. I'll live with these. Just dont point it out when ever you see my car in the future
    Denny

Post Thanks / Like

Luis I sent you a PM with the measurement.
    Denny