Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

John’s Mk4 Build Thread - Winter punch list - wipers

Latest post is ...

>>> HERE <<<

Well, this isn't going to be a typical build thread, because:

• this isn't a new kit, and
    • its not the beginning of the build

but, other than that, it should be awesome.

It still makes sense to me to keep all my build-posts in one thread, for a couple of reasons. First, I realize how much I enjoy going through other's build threads, not just skilled & repeat builders, but also those who are tackling this for the first time. I've learned just as much just by reading about the experiences of other first time builders as from reading the build threads of seasoned ones. Second, although folks on this forum are always a very helpful bunch, I have to think its more satisfying to answer the questions of someone who's shared a bit more of their journey than just their questions. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that - I've been doing it so far - so maybe I just decided this is what suits me best. Finally, when you post your build status and include a few pictures, experienced folks will chime in with things to think about that you hadn’t thought of, which is really helpful. As a first-time builder and not exactly a car guy, this is really reassuring.

So, I’m not sure I can add anything brilliant here, but maybe I can at least add another example of someone with the right desire and persistence delivering an end result they can be proud of.

A quick thanks to the many folks who share their experiences on this site. There's a wealth of knowledge that's freely shared here, and there's absolutely no doubt that this has increased the build quality and the value of these cars tremendously. Bob was extremely helpful on the other forum with my early questions and helped me refine my thoughts about the build config. Paul has been a huge help with his great build threads and invaluable advice. Jeff has a ton of practical advice and top-notch build demonstration on both sites. John, Scott and Carl all have great threads on first time builds which have been very helpful and inspirational. Vendors have been very generous with time and advice. Thanks a bunch to anyone who shares information here.

This is a MK4 complete kit with IRS which was delivered in (yes, that's right...) August, 2012. I had to get rid of this, which I should have done before I got the car. That was done in 2013, and my Dad (and chief builder back in the 1970s) got to see it fully restored and sailing, which was cool. Then...I realized that a build in Minnesota isn't going to get done without heat in the garage, so I insulated, dry-walled, painted the garage. Doing the DIY route along with a busy job and finishing raising kids took some time. I did get to go to build school with my boys before they went off to college somewhere in there, which was a blast.

Now the kids are off on their own, the wife and I get all the quality time we want, so it’s a great time to crank up the thermostat and get back to work on the car. There’s nothing better on a below-zero Saturday than taking the short walk through the snow in the back yard, coffee mug in hand, and stepping into a warm garage.

Okay, getting closer to car and build stuff.

Basic approach to the build is for a well-mannered street vehicle which is suited for cruising and maybe a bit of autocross now and then. The IRS will be hooked up to a small block and T-5 up front. The only option I regret not adding to the complete kit is … cutouts. So, I'll have to do this myself when I get to the body, which isn't a disaster, just work I realize I should have left to Factory Five, particularly considering what they charge. Quite a deal. No other real regrets with what I ordered, so not so bad.

I'll go through build status in a second post.

Cheers,

-- John
    Last edited by John Ibele; 03-25-2024 at 08:49 PM.
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

2. Likes Gbeck liked this post