BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Rsnake roadster build thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to Wilwood, those master cylinders are pretty much fail proof. That being said, I've had two (clutch) masters leak. I've put about 400 miles on the car in gelcoat. After the body was removed for painting a few months ago, I noticed some very minor "wetness" around the rubber boot on the clutch master. Peeling it back it was very wet inside the boot, and obviously leaking around the piston. As much as I hated to open up the clutch plumbing ( I HATE working with brake fluid, nasty messy stuff) I figured I needed to replace the master. Ordered a new one from Wilwood and installed it. As I was bleeding in in the car, paying attention to the slave and not the master, I ended up with brake fluid pouring out of the master around the piston/boot again, this time a lot. I sent both units back to Wildwood, and both were bad according to them, so they sent me two replacements. Installed one of the replacements (this being the third unit on the car) and got it going. So far no leaking around piston, not sure about the fitting on top from the reservoir though. I'm keeping an eye on it. I'm going to have to really hold my breath when I close up that foot box area, and get the body back on. And yes, to answer your question, I don't see any way to do any maintenance or work on those master cylinders with the body on and footboy panels installed. It's going to kill me not being able to at least see what's going on with those masters, let alone not able to work on them.
    Last edited by boat737; 06-02-2018 at 10:57 PM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread