Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wilwood set - options, options, oh boy they look cool

Post Thanks / Like

Wilwood set - options, options, oh boy they look cool

Hello,

I have the the standard set of brakes, whatever comes in a kit. (solid rear end axle)

SOOOOO, been looking around and kinda,sorta like the Wilwood setup Now, I checking the FFR site and see different prices (I guess one price for kit order, other for after that)

I am wondering, can someone please provide the part numbers? That way I can compare prices from different vendors....front/and back.
    Also, if you can provide -OK-GOOD-BEST levels brake sets.

I am in trouble now, this build just keeps giving...or taking LOL

Lastly, do I need any other parts to make the switch work? I am guessing Ebrakes cables, how about the front spindles?

Thanks,
    Martin
    Last edited by broku518; 03-22-2018 at 01:10 PM.
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, you can see two sets of prices for Wilwoods on the Factory Five website. On the kit price lists as options, where they are usually an upgrade to the kit provided brakes where applicable. In the on-line parts catalog, those prices represent an outright purchase. So the prices are higher.

As for your other question about part numbers and pricing -- probably not too practical. I have the optional Wilwood big brakes on my current Gen 3 Coupe build and also my #8674 Roadster build. The boxes that came from Wilwood had no less than 11 different part numbers (rotors, hats, calipers, bolts, shims, mounting brackets, etc.) in the front pair box and the same number for the rear pair. Many different. You're better off IMO to work with someone, like Factory Five or Gordon Levy, who can configure what you need that matches your setup. There are just so many variations. Regarding prices, I've shopped around a little when a needed something. Like a new master cylinder or whatever, and I don't see a big variation in Wilwood prices between the various sources.

I agree the Wilwood stuff looks cool. It does perform well too. But depending on your situation may or may not make a big performance difference. Depends very much on your intended use. But will make a sizable dent in your wallet. Just saying.
    Last edited by edwardb; 03-22-2018 at 01:19 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Yes, you can see two sets of prices for Wilwoods on the Factory Five website. On the kit price lists as options, where they are usually an upgrade to the kit provided brakes where applicable. In the on-line parts catalog, those prices represent an outright purchase. So the prices are higher.

As for your other question about part numbers and pricing -- probably not too practical. I have the optional Wilwood big brakes on my current Gen 3 Coupe build. The boxes that came from Wilwood had no less than 11 different part numbers (rotors, hats, calipers, bolts, shims, mounting brackets, etc.) in the front pair and the same number for the rear pair. You're better off IMO to work with someone, like Factory Five or Gordon Levy, who can configure what you need that matches your parts. I've shopped around a little when a needed something, like a new master cylinder or whatever, and I don't see a big variation in Wilwood prices between the various sources.
    Thanks Edwardb,
    Right, even with the parts numbers I may be getting over my head. I will reach out to FFR and Gordon to see what it would take to switch with the least amount of trouble.

Thanks,
    Broku518
    Last edited by broku518; 03-22-2018 at 01:33 PM.
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Gordon's kit for 15" FFR rims. I'm pretty happy with it. It's a complete setup, brackets, soft brake lines, etc.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Martin, you can come over and check out my brakes if you want. I've got the Wilwoods front and rear. The only difference is I have IRS and you have a solid axle.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    Martin, you can come over and check out my brakes if you want. I've got the Wilwoods front and rear. The only difference is I have IRS and you have a solid axle.
    Hi Al,
    I am in trouble I am about to order the red front/back Wilwood 6 piston kit. Oh boy!

But, before I do that I would like to see them...this weekend?
    Last edited by broku518; 03-22-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    i will text you.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Levy View Post
    Gordon’s front brake have a removable caliper bridge bolt that allows quick pad removal from the top. The FFR kit now has a very annoying fixed bridge that requires removal of the whole caliper to swap pads.

I recommend Gordon’s setup if you swap pads for track events like I do.

Here are FFR part numbers and kit detail on Wilwood website.
    http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...f+8.8+Rear+End
    Last edited by totem; 03-22-2018 at 07:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    These are the instructions for the older FFR kit : Pads installed from top:
    http://www.factoryfive.com/wp-conten...ont-brakes.pdf

Current FFR kit, up to date instructions from Wilwood, same part number : Pads installed from below :
    http://www.wilwood.com/PDF/DataSheets/ds834.pdf

Gordon’s kit use this caliper with 1.1" thick disk (vs 1.0" for FFR):
    http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/Cali...Radial%20Mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Al_C
    Are you happy with the upgraded Wilwood set up, and did you order with your kit?
    Thanks
    Jimmy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by totem View Post
    Gordon’s front brake have a removable caliper bridge bolt that allows quick pad removal from the top. The FFR kit now has a very annoying fixed bridge that requires removal of the whole caliper to swap pads.

I recommend Gordon’s setup if you swap pads for track events like I do.

Here are FFR part numbers and kit detail on Wilwood website.
    http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...f+8.8+Rear+End
    Thanks for the info. I called FFR and their front pads can be removed from the top as well. I can also see this in pics on site.
    Good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubasommer View Post
    Al_C
    Are you happy with the upgraded Wilwood set up, and did you order with your kit?
    Thanks
    Jimmy
    Jimmy, Yes to both. Nevertheless, you should know that I'm not on the road yet. I went this route because I like big brakes and I know that Wilwood has a stellar reputation. You also get to learn new skills (possibly) as the front rotors are two piece units and you'll need to safety wire the bolts holding them together. I seriously doubt that my car will see a track more than once or twice, so the Wilwoods are probably overkill, but I'm happy with the choice I made.

Post Thanks / Like
    The caliper I use use a much larger pad than the dynapro caliper. I also include upgraded pads that work well on the street or track.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broku518 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I called FFR and their front pads can be removed from the top as well. I can also see this in pics on site.
    Good stuff.
    Can you explain how?

This is the current FFR caliper:
    http://www.factoryfive.com/wp-conten...06/55A1542.jpg

The picture on the FFR online catalog is an older kit.

If you don’t swap pad often, that’s not a big deal to remove the caliper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by totem View Post
    Can you explain how?

This is the current FFR caliper:
    http://www.factoryfive.com/wp-conten...06/55A1542.jpg

The picture on the FFR online catalog is an older kit.

If you don’t swap pad often, that’s not a big deal to remove the caliper.
    Hi,
    I guess that would come with the kit. I am pass that. Looking here: http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/12-8...ood-brake-kit/
    (you can see the removable pin on top)

Post Thanks / Like
    Jimmy, Yes to both. Nevertheless, you should know that I'm not on the road yet. I went this route because I like big brakes and I know that Wilwood has a stellar reputation. You also get to learn new skills (possibly) as the front rotors are two piece units and you'll need to safety wire the bolts holding them together. I seriously doubt that my car will see a track more than once or twice, so the Wilwoods are probably overkill, but I'm happy with the choice I made.
    Thanks AL