Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  16

Thread: LSx Powered Coupe Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Waiting for my 65 Coupe nskaats's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

LSx Powered Coupe Build

My car finally arrived today! I'm anxious to get started to say the least. The next couple days will be spent sorting parts and verifying contents. After a quick look through the car and the packing list I already found I got the wrong springs for the coil overs and at least one of the aluminum panels was ripped off in transport (sheered the self tappers). Once I get everything sorted I'll be able to get to work.

The Plan:
    This car will be primarily track oriented with much of it's time spent chasing cones and some occasional road course use. To me everything is a street car no matter how wild, so it's going to be driven as well. It'll be run in local SCCA events, Holley LS Fest, Goodguys Autocross, regional SCCA CAM events, and any other excuse I find to drive it mercilessly. The vast majority of my business is LSx based so I'll be going that route for power. The targets for this build will be under 2,300 lbs and 480-490 rwhp on my Mustang MD1100 chassis dyno.

The Combination:
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit
    LS1 based 347 - Ported 241 castings, hydraulic roller, 12.2:1 compression, flex fuel, 0411 PCM
    McLeod or QuarterMaster aluminum mini twin clutch combo
    T56 Transmission
    3-Link
    Moser 8.8
    Koni Double Adjustables with R-model springs
    Power steering
    Windshield wipers (required for some street car events)
    Carpet kit
    Most likely 18x11 wheels all around to keep it square and allow the best selection of tires for class (200TW required)

The Unknown:
    Gauges
    Seats
    Steering Wheel
    Brakes (Leaning toward Wilwood 14" Front and 12.88" Rear)
    Wheels (Forgeline is a leading candidate but American has one in their new AR Forged lineup that I really like)
    Color (Possibly BMW Santorini Blue)

I'm waiting on a couple more parts before I can fabricate engine mount pedestals for the chassis. Thankfully I kept an old "ventilated" aluminum block I can use for mock up. Once I get those fabricated, find a location to mount some ballast, and add some chassis tie downs for the trailer it's off to powdercoat. I may end up drilling all the rivet holes before going to powder but haven't decided on that for sure. I need to put some thought into that as some panels are going to have rivet nuts and bolts to make for easy track side maintenance. I already got my block and rotating assembly back from the machine shop where everything was cleaned up, honed, and balanced. Assembly on that will begin shortly. Follow along and I'll do my best to update regularly.
    Last edited by nskaats; 03-25-2018 at 09:27 PM.
    --Nick Skaats--
    Gen 3 Coupe #80 - LS1/T56 - SCCA Bound
    Link To Album For Updates