Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brake Vent Screens

Post Thanks / Like

Brake Vent Screens

Got vents from Finish Line and they look way too big. I thought they went inside the openings, these are even too big for the lip on the backside of the opening? How do you attach them?
    MK4 #9121 - Complete kit - Stroked 351, T5x, 3.55 Rear End, 3-Link - Pickup 6/17/17, 1st start 12/2/17, Go-Kart 12/9/17, Road Worthy 4/27/18

Post Thanks / Like
    They fit over the body openings from the back side. I trimmed mine so the screen was flat against the back of the opening and used silicone to attach.

HTH

Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Norm, I'll give it a shot..
    MK4 #9121 - Complete kit - Stroked 351, T5x, 3.55 Rear End, 3-Link - Pickup 6/17/17, 1st start 12/2/17, Go-Kart 12/9/17, Road Worthy 4/27/18

Post Thanks / Like
    I just did the same but have not updated my build thread.

I trimmed the plastic piece to make it fit better but the screen still didn't look right so then I put the screen on the back side of the vent and shaped it and trimmed it more aggressively. Once I got the screen the way I wanted it I cut the plastic piece more to fit. I plan to glue/silicon this in place. I used a golf ball to push the screen forward and get that rounded shape. I looked at lots of photos I have and noticed that most screens fit flat but some had shaped them with some curvature. Hadn't ever noticed it before. Personal preference.

Hope that helps
    -Steve
    Last edited by Straversi; 04-12-2018 at 12:28 PM.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    I might be just cheap, but isn't this the same metal mesh people use to lay tiles? I have seen something like this in HomeDepot.
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Could be. I bought the Finish Line kit because the plastic scoop (not shown) that fits behind the screen funnels the air to the ducts used for the foot box fans. If you are not installing foot box fans, then you could try any aluminum screen.

Whatever you do, do it before paint if possible. I was pressing up against the body pretty hard to get theses shaped.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Could be. I bought the Finish Line kit because the plastic scoop (not shown) that fits behind the screen funnels the air to the ducts used for the foot box fans. If you are not installing foot box fans, then you could try any aluminum screen.

Whatever you do, do it before paint if possible. I was pressing up against the body pretty hard to get theses shaped.
    -Steve
    Will do. I was told by Jeff that the car should 100% done before the paint job.
    I am not using the scoops, only to cover the openings.
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    anyone have Mark Reynolds (Breeze) screens installed?

Post Thanks / Like
    I might be just cheap, but isn't this the same metal mesh people use to lay tiles? I have seen something like this in HomeDepot.
    Yes they are!

anyone have Mark Reynolds (Breeze) screens installed?
    Not yet, I fit them in place and they do fit good. I haven't installed them yet because I cant get over the fact I used the same material as a backer when I parged my foundation block on my first house.

I may use these as a template and get some other material, a quick look on the interwebs and found customcargrills.com, maybe the grill material for the Mustang would look better.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used 3M HSRF to bond my screens in place. They are still good as new 10 years later.