Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Miller Time MK4

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was a post not to long ago of common/must do mods. Here's a link...

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...highlight=mods

Don't click it unless you want to spend money.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 10-05-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

2. Likes PeteMeindl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Yama-Bro for the links to the mods. Could not find what I was looking for the eBrake cables so did something on my own. I got past the initial dislike of running the cables under the 4" cross member, but very unhappy with the inability to make up for the inherent misalignment caused by the cable bracket being vertically positioned which causes the cable paths to be different lengths. The Clevis picture is the minimum misalignment possible in my case.

EBRAKE CABLE MISALIGNMENT.jpg

I live in the Kettle Moraine, parking on a hill is common. Having only one side engage is not acceptable.
    Created a bracket that places the cable ends in alignment and also puts the cables in the correct geometry to avoid the normal bends before going under the 4” tube. I will need to make a linkage since the cables are now too short but this is simple.

EBRAKE BRAKET.jpg
    EBRAKE CABLES.jpg

Two questions: 1) Is this bracket likely to be in the way as the build progresses. 2) If it's OK where it is, thoughts on bolting vrs welding.
    Thanks
    Last edited by miller7448; 10-08-2018 at 01:36 PM.
    Mk4, IRS, (Forte: 427 with EFI, T-56 MAG, hydraulic clutch, mechanical linkage, reverse lockout control module) (Breeze: Front and Rear Double adjustable QA1's, Cockpit cubby, LED Lights, Fan Shroud, Fan Lower Support, Oil Cooler Coil, power steering hose kit) (Russ: Drop Trunk, Turn Signal)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by miller7448 View Post
    Thanks Yama-Bro for the links to the mods. Could not find what I was looking for the eBrake cables so did something on my own. I got past the initial dislike of running the cables under the 4" cross member, but very unhappy with the inability to make up for the inherent misalignment caused by the cable bracket being vertically positioned which causes the cable paths to be different lengths. The Clevis picture is the minimum misalignment possible in my case.

EBRAKE CABLE MISALIGNMENT.jpg

I live in the Kettle Moraine, parking on a hill is common. Having only one side engage is not acceptable.
    Created a bracket that places the cable ends in alignment and also puts the cables in the correct geometry to avoid the normal bends before going under the 4” tube. I will need to make a linkage since the cables are now too short but this is simple.

EBRAKE BRAKET.jpg
    EBRAKE CABLES.jpg

Two questions: 1) Is this bracket likely to be in the way as the build progresses. 2) If it's OK where it is, thoughts on bolting vrs welding.
    Thanks
    Before I make the final bracket with gussets and have it powder coated could anyone tell me if the location will cause build problems later on? Guess I can just leave it clamped until later.

Thanks
    Mk4, IRS, (Forte: 427 with EFI, T-56 MAG, hydraulic clutch, mechanical linkage, reverse lockout control module) (Breeze: Front and Rear Double adjustable QA1's, Cockpit cubby, LED Lights, Fan Shroud, Fan Lower Support, Oil Cooler Coil, power steering hose kit) (Russ: Drop Trunk, Turn Signal)

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the alignment done and she drives smooth now. Went for 120 mile ride and nothing fell off! Purrs like a kitten at 2100rpm. (anything else and well, I guess some form of ear protection might be in order)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by miller7448 View Post
    Got the alignment done and she drives smooth now. Went for 120 mile ride and nothing fell off! Purrs like a kitten at 2100rpm. (anything else and well, I guess some form of ear protection might be in order)
    It feels great to be driving down the road in a creation you built with your hands. Enjoy your beautiful car.

Yes, ear protection is a must. I'll drive around city streets with no ear pro, but I put plugs in before I get on the highway.
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I guess I'm graduated. Got insurance through Grundy $344 per year, was quoted over $800 from Hagerty. Only thing remaining is a full alignment but local shops are all swamped so will have to wait a couple weeks. Steering seems a bit "twitchy". Might just be the alignment but I ordered a Heidts valve just to give me the adjustment option.

Embarrassing question - went into this with little or no research but with the Forte 427 and 6 speed I'm seeing almost exactly 10mph per gear at 2K RPM. This drives well, just curious if it seems correct? Thanks

cobra A.jpg (Picture before vents, side mirrors, visors, etc installed)

20200830_125942 (2).jpg
    Last edited by miller7448; 09-17-2020 at 02:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was planning to ask that question here. Just to be safe I will take a lighter weight plastic and tape to to the ceiling to reduce overspray. SAS hood, gloves, and feather fill arrive next week!