Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: P100DHG Build Thread - Gen 3 Coupe #138

Post Thanks / Like

Paint Progress Update 1

Post Thanks / Like

3. Likes Snowman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    6E68F71B-0EC4-40B1-BE5E-E6AEBC89E362.jpg

Picked up the chassis in Temecula, CA and took it down the street to get an alignment. This was just to get everything running straight down the road. One day when I take it to the track I’ll have a race shop do a full tune on the suspension.

Getting on to paint. If you’re following along you’ll know I do careful editing of my design ideas. Also my ideas are particular to my personal taste and specific to this car I’m building. So without further adieu the metallic blue I liked, I’ve ditched. After careful consideration I don’t want my car to look like someone sprayed glitter on it.* It’s a classic race car and it needs to feel like one. So a very extensive color development is underway. I’ve identified 2 solid dark blues I like and PPG is going to formulate them for me. One is an oddball and doesn’t exist in the automotive world and the other is a highly secretive Glasurit color which we have to reverse engineer (luckily I have a really good sample of it). But the cool part is since PPG will formulate the colors and it doesn’t exist in their catalog I get to name them according to PPG so that’s cool. As for what those colors are I am going to let PPG formulate them, do a spray out and then I’ll reveal them in a separate post and give you the background on how I found them.

Now all this seems very proprietary and it is according to PPG but if you’ve read the rest of this build thread I try to share as much as I can so I’ll post whatever I learn in case someone has to have it. I’m very excited about these colors, it’s going to be stunning. A very chic race car. I had not anticipated such an extensive process in picking the color but I think this will be well worth it and help this car separate itself further from the pack.

As for white I am looking for a cream color. Maybe Wimbledon White will be it but it seems very yellow to me at first glance. Cream color suggestions welcomed! So TBD on white.

* Let’s talk glitter! So first off, every car I own has either a pearl paint or metallic paint job. So I’m not disparaging metallic paints. I just don’t think it’s right on this car. When I say this car, I am saying my car. The silver powder coated panels inside have metallic to simulate that metal look so I’m not saying there isn’t a place for metallic colors on my car. I just want to be clear about this so I don’t offend anyone who mistakenly painted their car a metallic color. LOL I’m joking!!! Your metallic paint job is awesome just not right for the look of my car.
    Last edited by P100DHG; 12-28-2020 at 06:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So rounding the corner here toward upholstery. So some details to share. I finally got around to mounting my pedal cover for the accelerator. I bought a pedal set for a Honda S2000 just used the accelerator pedal cover and mounted it with VHB tape to temporarily hold it in place while I secured it with 4 rivets. The pedal comes polished which doesn’t match the supplied finishes for the brake and clutch pedals so I hit it with some 2000 grit and wet sanded it. At perfect match. Got lucky.

1A3B7592-D505-400E-8F5C-8BC9F8D3A2E4.jpg

Well the seat belts are mounted in and I’ve got one seat installed. Might be getting close to the first road test. I did drive it with no seat in the parking lot of the alignment shop (held on to the roll bar for dear life) got going about 10-15 mph. Clutch is very easy I drove it up on the Uhaul trailer with ease and lots of control. It’s not an on off switch, it can be finessed.

734443E3-EDA3-45E5-A6C5-F73E25EDF31C.jpg

I applied Second Skin over the interior panels that will get leather for added insulation. Gives a good contrast of how things will likely look with leather. Lizard skin made the panels go from a tanging sound when tapped to a thud. Second Skin plus Lizard Skin has almost no thud at all. What does this mean? Probably nothing. I am sure the car will be so loud it won’t matter.

54BFAC5D-01FB-49E8-ACEC-0A916BFA70F2.jpg 1866625A-48D9-4748-95C8-1D3631072D80.jpg

I’m not going to lie I get nervous when it comes to finish work and honestly it’s my least favorite part so I’m hoping everything goes smoothly. As you can see the dash is installed hopefully for the last time and all the electrical is basically done and tested. Tentatively I have upholstery scheduled to begin January 9th so fingers crossed everything goes smoothly and I can meet that date.
    Last edited by P100DHG; 01-03-2021 at 12:31 PM.

6. Likes James Morse, coup in australia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Let’s Kick off 2021 with a Go Kart Video!

Getting the hang of what a good movie should look like and shooting with a drone.

8. Likes coup in australia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice drone footage.
    Where else but in Southern California on the 2nd or 3rd of January can you ride around
    with no roof and short sleeve shirt.
    Angeles Forest Highway?
    MKIV 8851 Complete LS3 376/480 4L70e Auto 2015 IRS 15" Wheels Rear Exhaust

Ordered 2/25/16 Delivered 3/26/16 Still building 1/1/22

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster Lad View Post
    Nice drone footage.
    Where else but in Southern California on the 2nd or 3rd of January can you ride around
    with no roof and short sleeve shirt.
    Angeles Forest Highway?
    That's a SOLID GUESS! Very close to there! I wouldn't be so brazen as to take it up Angeles Forest Highway. I would be too worried CHP would impound my car. I did it up above the Rose Bowl where I live. It's the road that connects Pasadena to La Canada up in the hills. Great stretch of road, nice and wide and I only ever see cyclists.

To get the drone footage on the last two videos I used a DJI Mavic 2. My original intention was to get some aerial footage of the car driving with the drone following me which the DJI can’t do at that speed. The drone I ordered that is capable of doing that, the Skydio came late and arrived Thursday and I filmed the car scene on Sunday so I didn't want to add one more element into it without prior practice with the new drone.

Just to add one other thing is I switched out the stupid latching relay for my high beams with something soooooo much better! I updated the original post but if you're using the Russ Thompson turn signal I encourage you to pair it with this relay if you want a latching circuit (meaning every time you press the button it either switches between two things i.e. high/low beams or turns something on and off. Standard Motor Products LR35 Relay . I am sending Russ the info and link so he's got it also. There is no socket that I could find for this relay so you're left with no socket or designing and 3D printing one, which I don't have the appetite to take on, work is crazy busy.
    Last edited by P100DHG; 01-08-2021 at 08:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

This should give you guys an idea of how close to home these amazing driving roads really are.

12. Likes Snowman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Forest and Crest Highways are much busier than where you drive.
    Since I am close to downtown Palmdale too dangerous to attempt Forest.
    I bet the others on the road (if they are car nuts) must think it is an oversized Ariel Atom.
    Is your flip down lid so the cameras will not know who is driving?
    MKIV 8851 Complete LS3 376/480 4L70e Auto 2015 IRS 15" Wheels Rear Exhaust

Ordered 2/25/16 Delivered 3/26/16 Still building 1/1/22

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the stickers still on the tires.

15. Likes P100DHG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster Lad View Post
    Is your flip down lid so the cameras will not know who is driving?
    No, it’s cause I was driving an open wheel car and didn’t want to get a rock in my face or pigeon poop. I had the Snell rated helmet from a BMW track day I did with my BMW F80 M3. I figured why not use it just in case something went wrong and the shield would keep rocks from hitting me in the eyes.

I know it doesn’t look it but I stayed on residential streets the whole time. Clocked 2.1 miles on the odometer round trip.

CFE4F5A0-EA0B-4E7C-838C-310707BE31B7.jpg

Trip odometer shows 2.2 because the first 0.1 I clocked by spinning the rear wheels by hand with the car jacked up to make sure it would work before I road tested the car. And the odometer shows 4 miles because the first 2 miles came from the shop that built the speedometer for me (must of been done when they tested it).
    Last edited by P100DHG; 01-08-2021 at 08:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Upholstering the Seats & Update on What’s to Come

I was able to strip this video from my upholstery guys Instagram. Very fitting time to show this as my car went to the upholstery shop this weekend.

More updates to come but I imagine it’s going to be slow from here as he’s estimating a solid week of work just to wrap the roll bars in leather and he’s got other customers too.

There is a ton of work so I made him a document to guide him which I’ll post here soon.

I think my car will be out for the next 10-12 weeks before the body and chassis meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    So my leather embossed horn button needs improvement. The embossing isn’t as deep as I would have hoped. That’s because the leather I am using was from my seats which are upholstered in arm chair leather and embossing upholstery leather doesn’t work so well. After doing some research I have to find the right leather.

But! Recently I saw what might be the most amazing restomod I’ve seen of any car. Totem Automobili took an Alpha Rameo GTV and did some insane stuff to it. I encourage you to look them up. Everything is literally custom made but what really made me think was their steering wheel emblem. Now they didn’t do a horn button but I’m intent on doing one. Worst case scenario it doesn’t work like I planned and I start over. But! What I decided was to try to custom CNC a horn button and I think I did a decent job with my little 3018 CNC machine I bought along side my 3D printer. It took 16 hours to mill not to mention about 100 hours of learning CAD, CNC software and learning about the different types of end mills.

1424E69C-9E15-4F35-BAC4-1525ECB15867.jpg 373B75A9-7E62-4347-98C6-87D39B65295D.jpg 15ECB777-20AD-465C-AE62-9BCAFD65CFAE.jpg

Once again the forum has turned my creations sideways for no apparent reason... for the right side up version try my Instagram.

Anyway I’m sure with better equipment I could do better but it should be good enough to send to the polishers, I’d like them to clean it up and then have it bead blasted and anodized and see if it will make the final cut on the car. I haven’t given up on the leather horn button either. So we will see.
    Last edited by P100DHG; 01-25-2021 at 03:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The roll bar is starting to get wrapped. Everything is going slow but all of this is out of my league so nothing I can do to speed it up.

BE90A58B-0D03-4DC2-9095-61D490FF2931.jpg 08622CCA-31B9-4E7D-909B-9E3799256EB6.jpg 0BA7FF48-5B98-49AC-A3AD-2CC7F5B7D0CD.jpg

You can tell by photo 2 that he foamed the roll bar slightly with special foam prior to wrapping it, though nothing is stitched together and there is a long way to go. Photo 3 I was matching the right color automotive leather to the upholstery leather I used for the seats. “Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin” it’s beautiful stuff so soft just amazing looking.

I have been messing around just finishing off stuff. I polished the license plate bracket.

8B382621-CB3C-48F7-B783-B457A3940497.jpeg

And I started removing the milling marks on the horn button. So it’s ready for bead blasting.

5466DB23-FA8D-4F40-ACDF-6A0C1AEA15A8.jpg

Great picture of how the interface looks on the computer. Easel (free web based design software) on the left and Candle (free CNC software to control the machine) on the right

IMG_1032.jpg

Time lapse can be found at the link below. I don’t think it’s YouTube worthy but fun to see how a hobby grade machine can turn out something.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKr3-LND...=14cz5i5w1t0wd

For now that’s all I got. Honestly I miss working on the car. I hope I’m not over sharing but the difference between good, great, excellent and incredible is all in the details.
    Last edited by P100DHG; 01-31-2021 at 01:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got to visit an amazing place last weekend with my son. 1042 Princeton Drive.

0807C22D-4C29-4EC5-918C-5BDCADCDC311.jpeg

We walked in the footsteps of legends. So amazing to have the history of this car so close to us.

Coupe is underway, paint samples have been made, the side pipes are getting polished and ceramic coated, roll bar is ready to be hand stitched and the new horn button is at the metal finishers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Big news this week!

Body Work Update
    Bodywork is well under way on my car. I popped into Jeff Miller’s place this week and was amazed to see the progress. His body guy told me that usually he just has to sand the seams and fill a little bit and they are fairly ready to go but mine required quite a bit of extra attention. Also, Jeff surprised me. We had originally talked about bonding the spoiler to the back of the car and using polished button head screws similar to those in my engine compartment to simulate the attachment; which is a look I quite like but he went a step further and grafted the spoiler into the body which is a look I love.

IMG_1169.jpg

Paint Development Done
    So I waited to reveal this before it was completely settled because I really wanted to make 100% sure I was going to love what I chose. Just to recap for those joining the party now, I agonized over metallic colors before I decided to dump all metallic colors and I went for a solid color which in hindsight was a much harder to figure out. I wanted a dark dark blue not black but a deep midnight blue, a dark blue that didn’t read purple, but as dark as I could get it without distorting the color. I wanted a blue that would be dark blue in the sun and flop black.

I first considered Ferrari - Pozzi Blue but decided against it because I was worried about picking a color without actually seeing it in person, but it was a step in the right direction. I started looking at literally everything for the right color not just cars but literally anything blue, and it came down to two colors, Bentley - Pacific Blue and wait for it Essie - After School Boy Blazer Blue. Never heard of it? Bentley Pacific Blue is made by Glasurit and is some sort of closely guarded secret apparently but we reverse engineered it as I was able to get a hold of a color book from a Bentley dealer. As for Essie After School Boy Blazer... well ask your wives or girlfriends about that color cause it’s actually nail polish.

We formulated both and once again Jeff surprised me and did some awesome large spray outs on scrap fiberglass and when we both saw them in the sun it was unanimous that After School Boy Blazer Blue was the clear winner. The Bentley color just had a touch of purple in it that we couldn’t overlook. As for the After School Boy Blazer Blue it doesn’t read purple, it doesn’t read too blue entering into the royal blues, it’s an amazing, amazing color and the guys who formulated it at PPG knocked it clear out of the park with an exact match.

IMG_1174.JPG

So After School Boy Blazer it is! But what about the stripes and the rest of the white elements? Well I looked at a ton of whites, many were too white, too silver, too pink, too muddy, too gray but a clear winner stood out in my mind and frankly I didn’t have too look far (even though I did for good measure ) because it’s a color we know well Wimbledon White.

But actually I kind of revealed all of this in post #214 in the reflection of the polished license plate bracket as an Easter Egg

Upholstery
    Lastly, the upholstery is coming along. The roll bar is almost done being wrapped, the upholstery shop is moaning about how much work has gone into it. They told me he’s been at it for 4 days already. By my estimate he likely has another couple days on it. Then we are going to have to figure out the other elements. My upholstery guy has strong design opinions so it’s interesting how we are collaborating. So far, so good and clearly we are coming up with good stuff.

IMG_1157.jpg IMG_1156.jpg IMG_1154.jpg

Design Thoughts
    Though the color scheme blue on white isn’t so different I think this particular blue against a creamy white, with a beautiful brown leather interior and silver metal accents both matte and polished and discretely placed wood accents will be like a finely tailored power suit. It’s going to command a presence. It’s going to convey a classy, vintage, gentleman’s race car. And though many of you will probably be lapping me on the track at least when you pass me you’ll turn your head just to get one more glance.

Unrelated But Important
    This week I got one of the most rewarding and absolutely fabulous opportunities that I will cherish for the rest of my life. I think we can all agree, COVID is something that has taken something from all of us in some way, our freedoms, maybe one’s livelihood, for some their health and for others their lives or loved ones lives. It’s been a tragic and negative part of daily life but I got to experience hope, community, human decency and participated in a common mission to rid us of this terrible disease. I volunteered at a COVID vaccine drive thru clinic and the mood was one of hope, one of elation to see us getting past this awful situation. It was also amazing because I saw more people in the first 3 hours than I had seen in 300 days. It was incredible to have that human connection. I encourage anyone who is healthy, willing and able, to find a way to make a difference in their community and I promise the feeling you’ll get for volunteering will be AMAZING.

IMG_1184.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    That rear spoiler grafting is the way to go! The more I see it the more "kit-car" the rivets appear to me...Can't wait to see you finish this!!

23. Thanks P100DHG thanked for this post
    Likes P100DHG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Roll Bar Done:

We decided to do the harness bar which is the only thing remaining. My upholstery guy is encouraging me to let him make me a pair of custom seatbelts to match. We’ll see what happens. Finding the right color 3” webbing will be hard. But two options if we decided to proceed and can’t find brown webbing. 1 is to get a Braum harness in white and die it and another is to get silver/grey harness off the shelf and remove the manufactures patches to avoid the branding (I would do that with either option) and have silver belts to match the metal.

B47528C1-721B-4F91-B9C0-8FAC3528945B.jpg 37E6CFAA-81E6-451E-B059-71D667432F49.jpg D1E98CD8-F106-4724-B8F1-B2DDEEB0F7B0.jpg 0FA2D5D2-0F6F-4BCE-B4F3-4BE6C45971BF.jpg9E8BD6FD-8A7D-405C-90AA-3F31FD256949.jpg 4F5138BA-1A43-4D7E-9D00-1F0C590FF214.jpeg

Paint Samples:

In the shade it looks black and in full sun it’s a deep blue to very dark blue and really has some depth depending on the how the sun hits it, which is what you get from metallics but this color is able to do it without.

Shade:
    ACEE3EA5-53ED-4DAB-AF5A-3C9CEBE2BDB7.jpg

Sun:
    787890E9-E37A-496F-B4E1-FDF43C424B6E.jpg C8FD84FF-B854-428A-A14E-7353EE670CE6.jpg
    Last edited by P100DHG; 03-02-2021 at 10:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, the leather wrapped rollbar looks fantastic! Love that

26. Thanks P100DHG thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMole View Post
    That rear spoiler grafting is the way to go! The more I see it the more "kit-car" the rivets appear to me...Can't wait to see you finish this!!
    I totally agree, I actually can't believe I didn't ask Jeff to do it, so it was a fantastic surprise. On that same level of detail, I was there yesterday, I brought Jeff the rear vent mesh. We are copying Alphamacaroon's idea to install the rear mesh by leaving tabs on the mesh and slots in the body. Found here https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post440014 an awesome, awesome touch that elevates the quality, so big thanks to Alphamacaroon for the great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by jdm65 View Post
    Wow, the leather wrapped rollbar looks fantastic! Love that
    Thank you! I love it, I can't wait to see the pieces of the upholstery come together, I'm so excited and I feel so lucky to work with such talented professionals that can pull that type of stuff off.

At this point I feel like you guys just watching the whole thing come together, I'm along for the ride and just get to enjoy the process.
    Last edited by P100DHG; 02-28-2021 at 07:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Body in Primer & Horn Button Experiment Looking Good

This week's update is short but a good one. Things are clearly looking different and better now.

Horn Button:
    My horn button is back from bead blasting and I think it came out great. Not bad for a newbie. Now to figure out the finish I want to use on it. (Why must it rotate my photos!?!? Face Palm. LOL)

CA4BD0EA-5C20-4678-A3CE-122973321051.jpg

Body:
    The body is in primer and the hood is being body worked.

3366A900-110E-4934-8D37-1EB53B84A57F.jpg 9912248E-582C-4FBB-9E87-05DF612F5934.jpg B8A54831-3CBD-4711-AA49-DBFBDCEBC23B.jpg
    Last edited by P100DHG; 03-05-2021 at 01:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work and vision for a custom one of a kind build, that rollbar looks so well done.

Looking forward to seeing your car finished.
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

30. Thanks P100DHG thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a great build thread. I`m just at the ordering stage of my Gen 3 Coupe and new to the forum. reading though some of the Gen 3 builds I have gained a lot of good information from those of you that are currently in a build or are on the other side and enjoying all of your hard work. hope to be able to contribute to the forum when My build gets started.

32. Thanks P100DHG thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know right where this is. I used to live in South Pasadena and would bike ride all around the Rose bowl area.

34. Likes P100DHG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fman View Post
    Nice work and vision for a custom one of a kind build, that rollbar looks so well done.

Looking forward to seeing your car finished.
    Thank you! I love your roadster what a fantastic car you’ve built with such amazing attention to detail. So many roadsters have been done it’s hard to set one apart like you have. I appreciate your kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by B Campbell View Post
    What a great build thread. I`m just at the ordering stage of my Gen 3 Coupe and new to the forum. reading though some of the Gen 3 builds I have gained a lot of good information from those of you that are currently in a build or are on the other side and enjoying all of your hard work. hope to be able to contribute to the forum when My build gets started.
    I’m glad you’re enjoying it. Please do contribute! It not only documents your work as a journal for yourself but I know I speak for many when I say we enjoy reading these threads for our personal enjoyment, and education. It also gives your car some pedigree and makes it more special in my opinion and certainly elevates the quality with so many experienced builders making sure you don’t misstep.

With my chassis in upholstery and my body 90 miles away and a timeline of 5-8 weeks before they meet again as I learned this week (quality jobs take a long time so I’m not rushing anyone nor am I complaining). I’ve had a lot of spare time to just read and learn and enjoy other people’s journeys and it’s been fantastic. I’ve even been lurking on the Roadster section; might get myself into trouble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Danny, can't wait to see this thing in it's full glory. I know a few places up here in the high desert you'll be able stretch it's legs.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Huntington Beach will happen this year!
    Gen 3 Coupe #268 build: Project Lighting Coyote