Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  38
Likes Likes:  152

Thread: Carl's 20th Anniversary #8690 - Graduated... 15,000 miles

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    I was just looking at the most recent RF manual on FFR Instructions page. I think that the lights will actually dim with the headlight switch. At least according to page 55, 56 of the instructions. That would be kinda cool, but I'm not really that concerned as to how I dim them. They actually recommend to turn the small knob to full clockwise and zip tie it up with all the rest of the wires in the dash and just use the headlight switch.
    Well, that's nice but it's wrong. The backlighting on those gauges is AC powered panels. Speedhut has technical details on their website. It only dims with the inverter and the variable knob included with the gauges. The only thing turning the headlight knob does is vary DC voltage, which turns the Speedhut backlighting from full on to full off when it falls below a certain threshold. You don't have to take my word for it. You'll find out for yourself when you wire it up and see how it works. Pretty sure this error in the manual has been discussed before BTW.

Speaking of the manual, I'd encourage again to be careful with that version of the manual. The harness you have with your kit is the earlier version, and I'd recommend using the harness manual that came with your kit. I received the new version of the harness and manual with my Gen 3 Coupe kit, and I've had the chance to compare the two side-by-side. There are differences.
    Last edited by edwardb; 09-22-2018 at 10:32 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.