Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: How to Cut a Long Extrusion Lengthwise?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cut the leeding edge? The cut will not need to be as precise and some deformity in the front is probably better than the rear

If you did this you may be able to cut it with a sharp blade
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jmccoh View Post
    How about a Dremel table with a cutoff wheel. Those things are pretty thin.
    I am also looking at this option, but it would require a very steady hand to make a straight 4ft. cut!

Quote Originally Posted by Zach34 View Post
    A little late to the party, but 2 more cents: The bandsaw blade idea is great as long as you can rig it up TIGHT. Your hot-wire idea is good, too. The only other way I can think of using common tools would only work if you can get a second airfoil. You could mark your line and rough-cut on both ends with a grinder, then sand to your line and bond the two halves together around the bar.
    Yes, I'm still thinking about how to rig the blade up really tight. I want to only cut one half so the there is no alignment issues. By cutting only the trailing edge, the foil snaps around the bar like a clamp and keeps its shape well.

Quote Originally Posted by Just puttering View Post
    Cut the leeding edge? The cut will not need to be as precise and some deformity in the front is probably better than the rear

If you did this you may be able to cut it with a sharp blade
    The foil is a hard ABS plastic and would not cut with a sharp blade. I thought about cutting the leading edge, and I may still do that if I can't cut the trailing edge well enough. Luckily I have another piece if I screw up!
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A