I documented this is in my Gen 3 Coupe build. But a pretty big deal (at least I think it is…) so will post a new thread in the Roadster area which seems to get the most traffic. Today finished the last details before first start, so went for it. No particular surprises really. Put fuel in the tank for the first time. Nearly all of a 5 gallon can and shows a little under 1/4 full on the gauge. Good. Took a bit to get the Aeromotive regulator set. Needs to be 65 PSI, according to the Ford instructions, for the Gen 3 Coyote. The short bursts of the fuel pump when turning the key to run was taking a long time and didn't seem to tell me much. So just hot wired the fuel pump so it would run continuously with the key off (clip lead into the RF fuse panel) and that worked. The regulator was way off and I would probably never have gotten it set without doing it that way. Checked all the fuel lines and connections and no signs of any leaks. With that, no more excuses. So set the camera on a tripod, had a fire extinguisher nearby and cranked away. It didn't jump to life like my previous Coyote. But still started and all good. Had immediate oil pressure and tach reading. Plus voltage jumped up a bit so the alternator was working. Some smoke off the new headers, but that cleared. After the first 1 minute or so run, stopped and looked everything over. No sign of any leaks or any issues. Ran it a few more times. Subsequent starts were nearly instant like I'm used to. Water temp gauge and cooling fan work. Since the rear wheels were off the ground, ran the transmission through a couple gears. All good, and the reverse lockout module is working properly. These aren't the greatest videos, but you get the idea. The last video, with the engine at temp, hit it harder a couple times. It sounds angry. I have temporary Roadster side pipes on it right now. BTW, the first video is the real deal. Actually is the very first attempt to start. No camera tricks.

https://youtu.be/4ytnm8CV5ZQ

https://youtu.be/aESV65nw4ok

https://youtu.be/6ZqzZrdcMSY

https://youtu.be/LY6-IUp3na8

A few summary words about the Gen 3 Coyote for those that may not be familiar. It’s a new release with the 2018 Mustang GT. Rated at 460 HP and 420 lb.-ft. of torque. Many sources indicate these are very conservative ratings. The differences are widely documented, so won’t go into that here. But quite significant. There are still Gen 2 Coyote crate motors available, but eventually those will be gone and this will be the remaining option for a new Coyote crate. Between the engine and the control pack, roughly a $1500 price bump. So does come with a premium. For our purposes, this is what I’ve learned based on my installation to date:

- Dimensionally, it’s the same as the previous Coyotes. Motor mounts, exhaust headers, bell housing, all the same. Previous parts used all still fit, including the starter, alternator, KRC power steering, A/C compressor, Moroso oil pan. Not the pickup though. See below.

- The control pack has some differences. New Bosch PCM that’s a bit larger and mounts differently. Harnesses are slightly different. But following the Ford Performance instructions it’s all pretty straightforward. The PDB and accelerator module are the same. Only one clutch switch (bottom) like later version Gen 2's.

- The Gen 3 Coyote uses a dual mass flywheel that isn’t compatible with our usual bell housings or TKO/T56 transmissions. The provided flywheel needs to be removed and replaced with a previous version Coyote flywheel plus a pilot bearing in the crank. Either the stock nodular version flywheel or Ford Performance has an upgraded billet steel version. Usual clutches.

- The throttle body is the same size, but points up at a slightly higher angle. The previous CAI's recommended by Factory Five (Spectre and Treadstone Performance Engineering) may require some fine tuning. I used Treadstone parts in my Coupe build.

- One of the bigger surprises is the inlet to the oil pump is completely different. Moroso is supposed to be offering a new version that’s compatible. I ended up grafting the pickup end from the previous version Moroso to a newly released part from Modular Motorsports. I’m sure there will be better options in the future, if not already.

- The CMCV plumbing is different (again) but it’s an easy connection to a vacuum port on the front of the engine. Detailed in my build thread.

- The new Gen 3 engine cover isn’t great, and people will be looking for options. I still am. Because of the added plumbing and related for the direct injection (DI), it’s no longer possible to use coil covers.

Those are the main things I can think of at the moment.