Hello All,

First time post, been a lurker for a few months reading build threads. I want to thank everyone for being such a great community. This is such a fantastic resource and is one of the reasons I am planning on a MK4 build with my son. The creativity, passion and willingness to share just blows me away. I am a total noob and will need all the help I can get. To me the Roadster combines so many things I love and am looking forward to sharing the journey with my 17 year old son. It’s a rare thing these days to have a kid who dreams about what he wants to build not buy and I definitely want to foster that.

I am currently researching what I want on my build but one thing that is concerning me is the current change on how California law enforcement will now handle exhaust noise violations. With it no longer being a “fix-it” ticket (see AB 1824) but having a mandatory fine ($25-$1000 depending on who pulls you over) and possible referee inspection, I do not know how a Cobra replica with side pipes would be able to pass such an inspection without blowing the 95db limit. From what I have read the FFR side pipes are over 100db at idle.

Have you CA owners being pulled over much in the past? How did you “fix-it” to get your ticket cleared? I am leery of spending 1-2 years on a build only to get a noise violation that cannot be cleared making the car unusable.

I was thinking the Boig Quiet Pipes would be a good option combined with a healthy dose of awareness and mindful throttle control (always good idea anyway). Even so, these would not be quiet enough to pass a referee inspection if it ever came to that.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!!