Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  132

Thread: Cliff's 33 Hot Rod Build in Virginia

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

4 Way Flashers and Daylight Running Lights

I could not resist working on the car to find out why the 4 way flashers were not working. First thing, in the manual it says to cut the horn and flasher leads from the steering column. Why would you not want those functions to work from the steering column? Beyond me.

I found out the flasher socket in the Ron Francis is not making connection on one side. I bypassed the socket with some wires and spade connectors. Now they work. That is the second problem I found with the Ron Francis wiring harness. I'm not confident of that part from FFR!

When wiring the headlights to use the daytime running light, the front lights will not flash unless the key is on. I don't know if that is a problem with state inspection. I will check with my son as he is a state inspector.

Yup they have to work with the key off. Well I'll have to use my electronics background to solve this one. A few diodes. Parts on order.

On the head light there are the green and red wires. The red is for the DRL (white) and green for directional (amber). However for the amber to work 12 volts needs to be applied to the red wire also. So I wired up some diodes to both allow voltage from the green wire but block that voltage from feeding back thru the brown wire which I changed in the wiring harness to the electric choke circuit, which was connected to the red wire. The diodes I got were off Ebay 6A2. A bit over kill.

Connect the two negative sides of the diodes together (the side marked with the gray line) and to the red wire after disconnecting the brown wire. The other end of one diode connects with the green and blue wire. The other end of the other diode connects to the brown wire that was disconnected from the red wire. It should look like the pictures. Disconnect the battery first!
    100_2380.JPG 100_2382.JPG

The 4 way flashers now work with key off/on and directional working fine.
    Last edited by colsen23153; 12-06-2019 at 09:59 AM.
    '33 Hot Rod Chassis #1118, Gen 2, hard top, bike fenders, AC, electric steering. BluePrint Engines Chevy 383 Fuel Injected with the 700R4 transmission 8.8" rear 3.55.

2. Likes HVACMAN liked this post