FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  83
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Bruces Chopped 35

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it with the scoop. I want mine to have a filtered high velocity stack.

I hate chrome....but you have just enuff on your truck, that I might consider chroming your grill surround (the silver part)....and blacking out the center (grill fins).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RuffShod View Post
    I like it with the scoop. I want mine to have a filtered high velocity stack.

I hate chrome....but you have just enuff on your truck, that I might consider chroming your grill surround (the silver part)....and blacking out the center (grill fins).
    I'm with you. To much chrome spoils. Think I'm going with black chrome outer and black satin grill bars. i just spent 3 hrs polishing aluminum

3. Likes RuffShod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bruce,

I am having the same issue with my hood? My hood is really bad

Post Thanks / Like
    Bruce,

Where did you get the flush moldings?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sperger72 View Post
    Bruce,

Where did you get the flush moldings?
    The guy that did my glass had it on his truck but this is the stuff.

https://www.gtglass.com/products/aut...9de4d384&_ss=r

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Sir

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished all the interior that I could. Still have to make some small panels for the A pillars. I left a couple inches open so I can remove the dash easily. Finished the power windows and door panels. I tried using the clips on the panels but they are so heavy I was worried about pulling the panels off when closing the door. So just went with the screws I did get some smaller less obvious interior screws to attach. All and all I'm pretty much done! Need to pull the engine and trans this week to send the trans in for repair I put a carb spacer on to see how would affect the looks. Think I like it better so have a high raise single plane on order. Doesn't seem to affect the low end much due to this thing being so light. Waiting on some 1" X 1-1/2" tubing to finish the tailgate latch.

So except for some touch up and finishing a few small things this thing is done!

PS: Think Ive made up my mind to black chrome the grill when I pull the engine and trans....
    PS: PS: think next one I do (and there will be another) I'll take a little more off the top and try laying the windshield down a little plus take some out of the space between the windshield and top. Reduce the forehead look a little. Plus next one will have a blower on it!

5-10-2020 5.jpg5-10-2020 4.jpg5-10-2020 1.jpg
    Last edited by bnelson; 05-10-2020 at 09:45 PM.

9. Likes RuffShod, ztoolman44 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If this was your warm up, I can’t wait to see the second act. Great work. Thanks for sharing this build. I imagine we’ll be seeing a lot of your work imitated in the future.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    If this was your warm up, I can’t wait to see the second act. Great work. Thanks for sharing this build. I imagine we’ll be seeing a lot of your work imitated in the future.
    -Steve
    Thanks Steve Really appreciated. The good thing is Ive got all the BS figured out on the first build and can focus solely on aesthetics on the next! Maybe I can get FFR to give me a discount to build something they can pull a mold from

12. Likes RuffShod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, a 2nd FFR project? You’re an ambitious man Bruce!

Congratulations on finishing up this truck, it looks SO great!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got my grill back from coating but wanted to fix the lower radiator hose issue while i had it apart. Before, the lower outlet on the radiator pointed straight at frame member with the grill all the way down on mounts so had to have it raised up a little to barely get the hose on and routed through everything. Was really tight going through the shocks and was a sloppy mess. And there's no way I was going to run the hose on underside of frame as shown in the book. So welded an extension at a slightly different angle with a 90 to come up through the shocks. Came out pretty clean. Was a little tight trying to get it maneuvered on the truck but after loosening all the brackets was able to get it in place.

5-30-2020 1.jpg5-30-2020 2.jpg5-30-2020 3.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow.

Nice fix!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    Stewart says pick up on the 13th now. Ugh..... Got most of my engine parts in so could at least work on that. Made some wire looms out of 1/2 round. Have to look at them a while to see if I like them.

Attachment 108250Attachment 108251Attachment 108252
    Bruce....are those Corvette Super Comp headers?

No way they would fit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bruce....are those Corvette Super Comp headers?

No way they would fit?
    Yea. Stuff I had laying around. Had the engine long before I received the truck. I used Sanderson CC16 for early Camaro/Fiberbird. They are shorty's that exit at same position/angle on left and right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow.

Nice fix!
    For anyone wanting to route the same way I think next one I will go this route. This would make the transmission simpler and adapt straight from the 1-1/2 radiator to the 1-3/4 SS hose. Will make it easier to get the radiator mounted without having to loosen all the mounts.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...sp?RecID=11121

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the grill back and everything installed. Test drove and all good thank God. What a chore to pull all that after everything is done! Finished my tailgate and latches. I but some 1X1/2 rectangle tube uprights in the corners with caps and put some toggle latches inside to keep the outside clean. Just need to finish my bed floor now.

6-10-2020 1.jpg6-10-2020 2.jpg6-10-2020 3.jpg

20. Likes shmelty liked this post
    PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice! I like the roll pan mod!
    16+ FFR kits and counting!

Post Thanks / Like
    That black grill is the ticket!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got started on my bed wood. Got all the strips laminated down and got started sanding. The figure in this stuff is hard as a rock! Will take some time. I'm going to route 5/8" dadoes in between each strip and ebonize some hard maple to inlay.

6-14-2020 1.jpg6-14-2020 2.jpg6-16-2020 3.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    Finally got started on my bed wood. Got all the strips laminated down and got started sanding. The figure in this stuff is hard as a rock! Will take some time. I'm going to route 5/8" dadoes in between each strip and ebonize some hard maple to inlay.

6-14-2020 1.jpg6-14-2020 2.jpg6-16-2020 3.jpg
    I put figured maple floors in my house. Had to buy all new saw blades and replace them again after the project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ztoolman44 View Post
    I put figured maple floors in my house. Had to buy all new saw blades and replace them again after the project.
    LOL. Typically the curly is soft and the birds eye type figure is hard. And I mean hard! This Tineo is somewhere in the middle but still giving me a workout

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the bed wood sanded down to 320 grit. Put on first coat of stain. I made a concoction of orange/red aniline dye mixed with shellac. Can really see the figure starting to come out. After it drys will sand off again with 400 grit. That highlights the figure and gives it a really nice contrast. Probably do 2-3 times depending on how it looks. After satisfied with color will let dry and coat with straight Shellac and then 3-4 coats of satin wipe on polyurethane. So far coming out good. If anybody out there does woodwork you'll appreciate how nail biting it is doing long dadoes that will be seen Plan on building a bed box out of ebonized maple and the Tineo to house the battery and have room for a little camping stuff (and fishing poles)
    6-15-20 3.jpg6-15-20 2.jpg
    Last edited by bnelson; 06-16-2020 at 01:53 AM.

27. Likes RuffShod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bruce, looks great. Worked on the registration yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bruce, looks great. Worked on the registration yet?
    Not yet. Waiting for an opening at Nth TX rod and custom to set up suspension. They said only a couple guys certified for the inspection. One is in Your town. Do you know which shop it is?

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the maple strips ebonized and planed. Now just need to complete multiple layers of finish. Am saving the side pieces till I get it in the truck and will plane for perfect fit on each side. Surprisingly I measured width at front and back and is only about 1/32nd off!

6-16-2020 1.jpg6-16-2020 2.jpg

31. Likes RuffShod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is some impressive woodwork you’ve done!
    Wow

Post Thanks / Like
    Bruce,

Yes, my guy that will do it
    Last edited by sperger72; 07-06-2020 at 02:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

test drive

Was able to do a pretty extensive test drive. Hit the back roads for about four hours yesterday. Trans stayed at 199 max, engine at 190 max, all the bolts stayed tight! I'm getting a bit more comfortable with everything Have the bed completed but need to trim here and there.

6-28-2020 1.jpg6-16-2020 2.jpg

35. Likes RuffShod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bruce....are you thinkin we will be able to get by without windshield wipers?

I am beginning to worry about not havin receipts for my trans and motor that I had layin around.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been told no issues without wipers but haven't done my paperwork yet. Truck should be finished with paint next week.

38. Likes RuffShod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been told no issues without wipers but haven't done my paperwork yet. Truck should be finished with paint next week.
    Cool. I talked to my neighbor who works in the tax assessors office in the registration side and she said that as long as the inspector signs off on it she will be OK with it. Still waiting on a slot at the local rod shop to get the suspension dialed in before inspection. Said she did not require anything for the engine/trans. Small towns have their advantages
    Last edited by bnelson; 07-05-2020 at 06:55 PM.

40. Likes RuffShod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks men!

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got the alignment done and got a 30 day temp permit so I can drive legal out to get the ASE inspection. Charged up the AC and works perfect! Put about 250 miles on er today just cruising around and setting trans shift points and such. 100 degrees out here and engine never got above 190 and trans never got above 195. I drove in 3rd gear for about 5 miles at about 2800 RPM just to see if would get hot. Cool as a cucumber What a blast this thing is! Me and shop dog going on 500 mile + road trip to the hill country next weekend to visit a Military buddy and see how she dose. I'll take a bunch of tools Wish me luck!

7-26-2020 5.jpg7-26-2020 1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations... you have a very bad a$$ ride!!
    Well done,
    Jeremie

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice!! I’m also in a small town so fingers crossed! Congrats on getting legal
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome Day

Post Thanks / Like
    Yall have a good trip!

Truck is allsome!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    So lost compression on #5 this week. Blueprint has really stepped up and taking care of everything. Pulling engine again Was doing short cruise when noticed smoke coming from the breathers and if I romp on it oil spraying the windshield. Did a compression check and #5 was 50% of the others. Did a leak down test and it was only holding 20% of 80 PSI and filling the crank case.

So figured I'd take the opportunity to swap the 4L60E auto with TKO 600 manual while I had it apart. I hate the shift attributes on this auto no matter what I do to the settings. Looks like I'll be pulling the interior and building new trans tunnel to make some more room in the foot box for clutch. Did some initial measurements and looks like I should be able to gain at least 2" if I change the front pulley system and move the engine forward a little and rip out the tunnel and build around new trans and bell housing. Thinking about doing some custom buckets and new center console while I'm at it.

Best thing is I'll be able to get rid of all this frigging wiring associated with the electronic transmission! I was not familiar with it so couldn't wire initially and had to do kind of as an after thought and really made a mess of things. Will be able to clean all that up thank God.

Also thinking about the hood. I really like the look with the hood on so am going to do a couple things. I'm going to take this modified one and do a custom scoop so I can use with the scoop I have on the engine now. Plus I will be able to reinforce and strengthen during the process. And am buying a totally new hood and going to make that one fit with standard air cleaner and no modifications other than fitment to see what I like best. Or just to be able to switch it up now and then Think I'm going to build some custom slip pins in front and make it drop down on flush pins in rear. That way i don't have to monkey with the hinges and it wont have them flopping around in front if I want to run without hood.

8-15-2020 1.jpg8-15-2020 2.jpg

48. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great looking ride! Glad you decided against selling it. Enjoy what you have.
    Jeremie

Post Thanks / Like
    I see you had a low spot in your hood and filled with foam. How has that held up over time. Are you still happy with it? I am working with my low spot and decided to build up with fiberglass mat. Planning a slight ridge down the middle that I saw used by a hot rod guy. Will use 1/4 fiberglass rod embedded down hood center line as a guide, and build glass up to that.
    I also had an issue with rear sides not being flush. I am going with old school hood pins on rear sides to pull them down flush with cowl. Seems to work good, and can eliminate stock hood latch and cable.
    Always a work in progress.
    Ralph
    Last edited by rponfick; 08-16-2020 at 12:38 PM.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast