Quote Originally Posted by Hotyacht View Post
You have to remember that I am talking NZ$ so we are talking US$15,500 and the quotes are from guys who have painted Cobra's before and or Hotrods, Corvettes etc. All excellent painters but I simply don't have that sort of money to spend - and that price is with me doing all the prep work..
I was aware that you are talking NZ$. I was hoping that you were just getting quotes from the wrong people. Have you tried a quote away from Auckland?

I know that some things pretty much follow the exchange rate, and some are way more expensive. But, OUCH! That is still easily $5000 over what it would cost here for the whole body / paint job (not to rub it in). When I lived there, I went to Repco to get a set of spark plugs for my Alfa 156 and was quoted over $200 for 6 plugs. I almost fainted. $9 a plug here for Bosch Iridium. I guess paint jobs are one of those things. A friend of mine owned a collision-work shop in Christchurch. No wonder he's loaded!

Having access to a booth means that you are WAY ahead of the game. Read the threads here and on the other forum by our pros and your paint job will stand up against the $25,000 one. And you will get a lot of satisfaction out of it. I may have to repaint mine before I move back down there, just so it's fresh.

Love those stacks!!!