Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is my driveshaft too long?

Post Thanks / Like

Is my driveshaft too long?

So I was having difficulty installing the driveshaft because it would contact the IRS differential. I ended up needing to lift up the engine to get it installed. I got it all bolted down and even the driveshaft safety loop installed, when I looked at the inventory list that FFR sent stating that the driveshaft they sent me was a 31 spline 9.25". My original order form listed a driveshaft that was 8.375". Oops! Did they send me the wrong driveshaft? Do I need to take it all out? Those bolts now have blue loctite on them... Here are the photos below. I have a Blueprint 427 with IRS. The gap on the yolk is about 1/4 inch. From what I have read, that should be more like 3/4 - 1 inch. If my only problem with this setup is that I would need to lift the engine again if I have a problem with the driveshaft in the future, then I may just leave it alone. But if there will be interference problems with a gap this short, then it would make sense to correct it now.
    Thanks for your advice on this!
    -David

MK4 Roadster #9138
    Blueprint 427 with Sniper EFI, TKO600, IRS, complete kit
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    With IRS, the diff doesn't move. So there shouldn't be any operational issues. Like you explained, the main issue would be removing in case of required repair/replacement. The more normal 3/4 - 1 inch of exposed slip yoke allows it to move with a solid axle, and also provides the needed clearance to push the slip yoke all the way in and then drop out the driveshaft without taking anything else apart.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd leave it as is.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you have 3/4", measure from the transmission, not the dust seal lip. It's fine just as it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Perfect, thanks guys!! I will move forward!
    David
    MK4 Roadster #9138
    Blueprint 427 with Sniper EFI, TKO600, IRS, complete kit
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...8-Build-Thread