FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Coupe for the 25 Hours

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the good wishes! Happy Birthday Carson!
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! We spent the day making our final plans, and like another fast guy that stops by this time of year, checking our lists twice, to make sure we have enough tools, parts, awnings and electrical cords to be both naughty and nice...

We're down to T-Minus 8 days and counting until the start of the 25 Hours. Took the Coupe out for a test ride last weekend, and it performed very well. Jeff Awender has graciously agreed to rebuild our light bar, adding some high intensity lights for all of us drivers....Should be a welcome addition for all of us "seasoned" drivers.

We'll be heading up to Thunderhill on Thursday morning, to begin setting up our four-day encampment...We have a tremendous group of folks signed up to support the race team this year, and we are very grateful to have the assistance of so many great folks. A number of other folks have also contacted me, looking to help the race team and just experience the whole event....Everyone is welcome, so if you're reading this a few days from now, and wondering if you'd be welcome, just know the answer is, "Yes." Team Thunder Valley Racing will be in pitstall #5, and will be there all weekend.

Watching the weather closely, and so far, so good....Still nine days to go though, so we'll keep a close watch on it: http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USCA1244:1:US

Karen
    Last edited by vnmsss; 11-25-2011 at 01:21 AM.
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Karen. Loved meeting you over the phone last night. Hope your Thanksgiving was as good as mine. I am looking forward to helping in any way I can this weekend. I will bring my specialty, pulled pork, and plan on being there Friday morning. If you end up testing Thursday I can show up then. Don't hesitate to let me know what else I can bring. Otherwise I will be doing a crash course on NASA and 25 hour of Thunderhill rules so I can be as useful as possible. Thanks again for the opportunity to contribute to your team this weekend. I will be the tall guy in the dark blue Dodge Powerwagon pickup.

Thanks, Jeremy White

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd say best of luck but after watching vids of you driving you don't need it.
    You've got something better: skill.

Post Thanks / Like
    2011 25 Hours of Thunderhill
    December 1-4, 2011

Schedule

Wednesday:

Paddock access and setup from 5pm until 9pm. No entry after 9pm. (no race engines after 6pm, no
    exceptions!) Gate closes at midnight.

Thursday:
    Paddock access 7am. From 7am until midnight teams should be allowed access to all areas of the
    paddock. It is the teams’ responsibility to setup properly, in a proper location, and obtain approval from
    the event staff. Those teams that setup without approval may be ordered to move or make changes. We
    will attempt to start teching cars Thursday morning, even though tech does not officially open until Friday
    at noon. This means that we will tech your car early if you are ready.

Friday:
    Testing will start at 9am and run until 4:30pm with a one hour lunch break. Lunch break – slow parade laps on shortened course to check
    transponders. On Friday there will be an open practice/qualifying session at no charge from 4:45 until 5:45 for all teams.
    Qualifying will be between 5:15 and 5:45. If you did not sign up and register to test on Friday morning,
    you must sign up by 3:45 to run in the 4:45 to 5:45 session. (no exceptions)

Friday (cont):
    12:00 PM – 9:00 PM NASA Tech opens and Registration opens.
    (see Saturday)4:45 PM – 5:15 PM warm-up / practice (95 dBA @ 100’)
    5:15 PM – 5:45 PM qualifying. (95dBA @ 100’) [No race engines after 6pm!]
    6:30 PM – Drivers and Officials meeting at Race Central. Mandatory for at least the team owner or
    authorized representative. Driver attendance recommended.
    Registration closed at 8PM and will not reopen. Teams failing to pickup up the Registration Packs by
    8PM will be excluded from the event.

Saturday:
    9:00 – 9:30 AM Officials and Flaggers meeting at Race Central. (ANYONE may attend; driver’s
    encouraged)
    9:00 – 9:30 Pit Marshal meeting on the 1st floor of the main building.
    9:30 – 10:30 AM Mandatory Pre-Grid. Any car not gridded by 10:30 AM will start in the rear.
    10:40 – 10:50 AM All personnel to stand near their cars. No working on cars. Military announcements,
    demonstrations, etc. will take place.
    10:50 – 10:55 AM Drivers belt in and prepare. Resume warming engines.
    10:55 AM Five-minute board.
    11:00 AM Pace car takes the track.
    5:00 PM Sound limit warnings end and black flagging begins.
    5:00 PM Checkered Flag for 6-Hour drivers

Sunday:
    12:00 noon Checkered flag.
    Last edited by CheckerFFR; 11-27-2011 at 02:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck this year gang! I really wanted to come out and surprise you but it's just
    not going to happen. Drive it like you stole it!
    FFR4784CP - The first coupe with a "Falk'n Bubble"
    http://www.replicapromotions.com

Saleen - Power in the hands of a fool!

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Karen,

Wishing you a great race with a great car! Wish I could be there but it will be Road Atlanta for me that weekend.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Godspeed, Karen and Thunder Valley Team.
    I've been there with one of the 240Z teams and I know that you all have a daunting challenge in store.
    I also know that your meticulous preparation will pay off and that you'll make us all proud.
    Stay safe, stay warm, and have a great time!
    Trout <Ί{{{><

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
    Al Einstein

Coupe S/N 377 Purchased April 4, 2008 from John Cameron, Agua Dulce, CA

Photobucket site:http://s885.photobucket.com/albums/a...20in%20Tucson/

The Plan: 398 ci Cleveland, CHI Heads & Intake, Crane Roller Lifters, T&D Rockers, Ferrea Valves, TKO600, Quicktime Bellhousing, IRS, 3.55, Torsen, FuelSafe, ISIS, Kirkeys, Konis, 17" Team III LT-III, Wilwood triple m/c & pedals, Orange w/ Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ted.....The shipment arrived today!!! Replica Promotions jackets and hat designs, and the attention to detail on the stitching are simply amazing! Kudos and thanks for making us look good once again this year! I know you're heading in for some medical attention in the near future, and you'll be in our thoughts!

Garry, Trout and everyone...Thanks again for the good wishes! We have well over 30 people coming up to support our race effort, and I know there will be a whole lot more out there cheering on our team from afar. You guys are amazing!

Jeremy.....It was great meeting you over the phone as well. It's very cool that you'll be coming up to the event! Thanks! The weather looks good, and the car is ready to go....See you later this week!

Karen
    Last edited by vnmsss; 11-29-2011 at 02:33 AM.
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this shown by any of the TV networks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

25 Hours Live Broadcast

NASA will be hosting a live radio broadcast of the 25 Hours this year (first time ever).....Check it out!

From NASA 25 Hours Website 11/28/2011:
    It's been a long time coming, but Endurance Radio is proud to announce the very first live and exclusive coverage of NASA's 25 Hours of Thunderhill! One of the best kept secrets in motor racing will finally be brought live to the world on December 3-4, 2011 from Thunderhill Raceway Park in Willows, CA. Join lead broadcaster Brendan Kaczmarek on Saturday morning December 3 at 10:45AM PST (1:45PM EST, 18:45GMT) for pre-race buildup as he sets the expected 80+ car grid and introduces you to a West Coast all-night classic. A full 25+ hours of coverage will bring you right through to the checkered flag on Sunday, December 4 at 12:00 Noon Pacific. Thanks to the organizers, you'll also get live timing and scoring for the ultimate enthusiast experience. Best of all, if you're already at the track, join us in the drivers' lounge or listen in on your smartphone from in the pits or around the track for the ultimate solution for following what is bound to be a classic event.

In addition to being on livestream and at http://www.enduranceradio.net, the broadcast will be embedded at nasa25hour.com in the week leading up to the broadcast. If you'll be at the circuit, feel free to stop by for an interview during the race - I'm going to need some company!

If you're a team or a company, please check out the EnduranceRadio website and view the sponsorship opportunities we still have available. This is a great opportunity to reach enthusiasts, teams, and drivers on a club-racing and semi-pro level. Personally, I'll be at the track from Friday morning onwards - please feel free to stop by on the first floor of the tower and introduce yourself!
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish I could make it down there, sounds like a blast! I will definately try to tune in to the broadcast. Your car is amazing and you are so motivational to me. Kick some A out there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Is this shown by any of the TV networks?
    Hi Dave......No TV networks (at least not yet. ;.) This will be the first year for live radio broadcast of the 25 Hours, and given that there are more than 85 teams registered, and that the event is drawing top teams from here in the US and now overseas, it's just a matter of time until someone figures out that this is the premier endurance racing event in grassroots motorsports today.....Really proud to say there are four Factory Five Racing entries in the field.

Karen
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Testing on Thursday

We finalized the last of the work on the car this evening, which included last minute cleaning of the headlights, installing driver's names, and a final tire/wheel count. We made the decision today to head out to the track on Wednesday, and do a final shakedown and test session on Thursday.

Karen
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Firechicken.....Wow! Thanks so much for the kind words! Would love to have you join us for a future event.....In the meantime, the Coupe is ready for a final shakedown and then the green flag for the 2011 25 Hours!

Karen
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vnmsss View Post
    Hi Dave......No TV networks (at least not yet. ;.) This will be the first year for live radio broadcast of the 25 Hours, and given that there are more than 85 teams registered, and that the event is drawing top teams from here in the US and now overseas, it's just a matter of time until someone figures out that this is the premier endurance racing event in grassroots motorsports today.....Really proud to say there are four Factory Five Racing entries in the field.

Karen
    Thanks for the info. Someday they will smarten up and broadcast this.
    Surprised that someone like the Speed Channel doesn't do it.
    Maybe we should get a petition going and send to them..

Decided that I might as well contact them and make the suggestion. Done.
    Last edited by Movieman; 11-29-2011 at 04:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Karen,
    Sitting here in the Southeast reading your posts. I can't wait for the drop of the flag, and I'm nowhere near your area. By keeping us regularly updated on race preperations, testing, etc, I (and I am sure that I am not alone on this) feel like I am part of your fantastic race team. I hope with all the support you are going to have that someone keeps us posted throughout the race. We are cheering for your team all over the USA! No pressure, just win. Have fun, be safe, drive fast. Your extended teammates are behind you all the way.
    Steve
    MK 3.1 #6422, Complete Kit, 340hp Ford Racing Crate Engine, WC T-5 Trans, 3.55 Rear, Barcelona Red Mica Metallic, Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks so much Steve. ;.) We'll be posting regular updates from the pits, and plan to have the live webcam going again as well. Not sure if we'll have the in-car video up and running, but we'll do our best to keep folks updated.

Thanks to all of our extended Thunder Valley Racing Team!!!

Karen
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    Will there be a link to the webcam? Not very tech savvy here. Be sure to point me in the right direction.
    Steve
    MK 3.1 #6422, Complete Kit, 340hp Ford Racing Crate Engine, WC T-5 Trans, 3.55 Rear, Barcelona Red Mica Metallic, Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We'll post a link once it's up and running.
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Karen, I was hoping to be there, but again this year will not
    I'll throw your links up on the FFR website and FB page as well. Good luck, All of us are rooting for you guys and praying for your safety!
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    karen i heard that the event was cancelled due to weather.... hi in 60's low in the upper 30's no rain, snow, hail, high winds, or fog.....what better conditions can you have for december.
    see you friday morning. call if you need anything...........mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Best of luck Karen and Team Thunder Valley Racing. Its going to be fun following the race live. I can't wait.
    F5R1006211RD, Blue Granite Metallic with Titan Silver Stripes by Jeff Miller (Batman)
    4.6 SOHC, 3.73 R&P, 3 Link W/Koni's, 17x9 Cobra R's with 255 45zr 17 BFG Tires, Champ Pan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Too funny Mikee!!! Hey, I have a surprise for you when you get here...;.)

Thanks for the good wishes Marty and all, and for posting the links Dave! Ed spent the last couple of days with us in Healdsburg, "re-packing" the trailer with all the parts Honey Badger delivered with the #85 last month. He says he's gonna wait for the guys this morning and watch them unload all of this stuff...;.)

We arrived at the track last eveing, and are set up in pitstalls 5 (Thunder Valley Racing, 6 (Kneeds Adjustment Racing), and 7 (Boothman Racing)....A number of of our team members will be arriving throughout the day, and we'll begin the process of setting up our encampment (hot pit, cold pit, and hospitality areas) later this morning.

It's very windy today, with 40+ mph winds outside already. The good news is that the winds are expected to settle later this evening, and then the forecast is for clear skies, 0% chance of rain for the entire weekend (Can you hear the jubilation from out west?)...We know the reason the weather will be good is because we have working windshield wipers and brand new set of Hoosier rains! (We also think Andy may be up there with a big tire iron guarding the faucet...;.)

We're heading out to warm up the car for our test day today. Will check in later....Thanks again to everyone for the good wishes!

Karen
    Last edited by vnmsss; 12-01-2011 at 11:38 AM.
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    All the best Karen and crew! Stay safe!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ain't that the truth Karen. You add a feature or bring a spare part just in case and seems to keep you from needing it.

(We also think Andy may be up there with a big tire iron guarding the faucet...;.)
    That just made me laugh diet coke into my sinuses.

I'll be rooting for your teams success and safety from Buttonwillow all weekend.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are living a dream to most of us. I love reading your posts and wish your team all the best. I hope to meet some of you guys some day.
    Owner MK4 7642RD, 393 stroker, Gordon Levy Super Alloy T5, HDX Clutch, Moser 3.31 3-link with disc brakes, 17" Bullit wheels, NT05's, Seat heaters donated by WarmSeats.com, door panels donated by Herbs Door panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyWinner View Post
    You guys are living a dream to most of us. I love reading your posts and wish your team all the best. I hope to meet some of you guys some day.
    Well said sir!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks guys....Agree that we have to pinch ourselves from time to time....We're really glad that a number of Forum folks are coming out to the track this year so they can live the dream as well.

The car ran very well this morning, but we began having some driver's side axle issues toward the end of the morning. The left rear axle popped out of the diff at least four times.....We tried replacing the clips and even playing with the boot. Everyone seems to think it's fine now, as we took it out for three more sessions, and it performed very well..

USAF F-15 fly-over tomorrow morning at 11:30 PM! Qualifying tomorrow evening.....

Karen
    Last edited by vnmsss; 12-03-2011 at 03:17 AM.
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Karen, Phil and I are in Sacramento tonight.

See you bright and early tomorrow!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unhappy .......and it was all going so well.......

The entire crew worked their tails off all day setting up the pits and doing all of the final preparations on the car. John Card installed the new Chase cam system, and the team decided we would replace the steering rack, since we had a bit more movement than we liked.

Dave Riha went out for practice at 4:45 PM, and quickly got up to speed, turning some solid laps in short order. Nick Steel then jumped in and was able to get only two slow laps, as one of the competitors was off track at the exit of one, so the session was black flagged. With less than 20 minutes remaining in the qulaifying session, Nick was called in and the decision was made to put Dave back in the car to qualify the car.

Dave went out at 5:25, and was on his first hot lap when he entered eight and dropped a wheel into the soft dirt in the high speed left hander. The car quickly snapped into an uncotrollable spin, digging very hard in to the dirt on the left side, and causing the car to rollover, coming to rest on its roof in a ditch. Dave was OK, but the qulaifying session was shut down, as it took the safety crew almost an hour to bring the car into the pits.

Damage assessment includes a broken rear lower control arm (along with the frame tabs, which were bent beyone repair as well), broken windshield, front end damage, left rear quarter damage, broken camera, broken door hinge, and a forty acre field of dirt in the car. Everyone pitched in to assess then damage and begin making repairs. We were fortunate in that we had thought ahead and had spares lined up for virualy everything, including having a spare windshield in the trailer. The car started right up, despite having laid upside down for almost 30 minutes, and time will tell if the engine is OK.

Everyone worked on the car until well after midnight, and the car has some bandaides, but we're planning to have it on grid in the morning. Hats off to the entire Thunder Valley Racing team for the yoeman's effort and tremendous teamwork displayed tonight. These are indeed amazing people, and we are very grateful for their support. Needless to say, this was not the way any of us wanted the day to go........

Karen
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    Many times good things don't start out that way.
    We're all rooting for you and your team.

( This place needs more smileys, these don't fit what I want to convey)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, look at it this way, you have the car upside down in the dirt part behind you now. It's nothing but rubber on the road for the next 25 hours. Nothing but good karma for the race. Go Thunder Valley Racing!!!
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Up unusually early for me, especially on a Saturday. Today's the annual Christmas party for the Arizona Cobra Club up in Scottsdale and its a two hour drive from my place so an early start is called for. Unfortunately I'll be driving the MR2 since my coupe is still in the creation stage. I also wanted to get the early report from Thunderhill.
    I'm truly sorry that the start is so bleak. On the silver lining side of things, no one was hurt and the car is repairable. Those facts are a credit to your racing skills which extend far beyond the driving duties. Good job!
    Keep a close eye on Dave. Roll overs are not the best exercises for head and neck health.
    The prayers and positive thoughts will continue from this fan's corner of the universe...
    Trout <Ί{{{><

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
    Al Einstein

Coupe S/N 377 Purchased April 4, 2008 from John Cameron, Agua Dulce, CA

Photobucket site:http://s885.photobucket.com/albums/a...20in%20Tucson/

The Plan: 398 ci Cleveland, CHI Heads & Intake, Crane Roller Lifters, T&D Rockers, Ferrea Valves, TKO600, Quicktime Bellhousing, IRS, 3.55, Torsen, FuelSafe, ISIS, Kirkeys, Konis, 17" Team III LT-III, Wilwood triple m/c & pedals, Orange w/ Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about the qualifying accident. Pressure is off now, bad luck is behind you, nothing left to do but go forward. I know you guys can do it.

Marty
    F5R1006211RD, Blue Granite Metallic with Titan Silver Stripes by Jeff Miller (Batman)
    4.6 SOHC, 3.73 R&P, 3 Link W/Koni's, 17x9 Cobra R's with 255 45zr 17 BFG Tires, Champ Pan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Anybody got an update on this race? I'm in the UK and can't get any of the links to work (radio, live updates etc.)

Wonder how all the teams are getting on!

Martin
    Previous forum name was "Fezzek"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Got it working (came in through a different proxy).

After about 16 laps.

Team Prototype Development Group, 7th, best lap 1:55.159
    Team Boothman, 14th, best lap 1:58.154
    Team Thunder Valley Racing, 45th, best lap 2:07.135

I'm missing a team somewhere, but I'm not sure what the 4th team is called. Anyone?

The leading team is Team Mercer Motorsports, and they are clocking in the 1:45's.

Martin
    Previous forum name was "Fezzek"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    KneedAdjustment Racing is the 4th FFR entry. Rough suspension work was completed on the coupe late last night and Karen made the starting grid. As long as the car lasts one more hour Salvaggio racing will win the WERC championship. So far the race is going smoothly under cool but crystal clear skys!

More later..

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    car 4 gtm 7 place time 158
    car 28 coupe 38 place time 204
    car 21 roadster 59 place time 207
    car 85 roadster 9 place time 201

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the updates glad Dave and the car are OK
    Thanks
    Jeff

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast