Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Opie's Mk IV

Post Thanks / Like

Opie's Mk IV

Yikes.
    I did it. I pulled the trigger and ordered the kit. Oh boy.

Here's what I've got on order so far:
    Mk IV complete kit
    IRS
    Powder coat (of course)
    Coyote kit
    Coyote headers
    17" Halibrand wheels
    Chrome roll bar
    Grommet set
    3.55 center section

Coyote engine

That's it so far

Q: Hydraulic vs manual clutch

Opie

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations and welcome. The planning and decision making is half the fun. I went with a hydraulic clutch from Forte.
    You are going to have a blast. Look forward to following along with your progress.
    -Steve.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, glad to see another Coyote build. I have similar a setup I just finished and sent out for paint. Hydraulic versus cable is discussed often on this forum. I finally decided to go old school and low tech with the cable and it seems to be fine for driving. There doesn't seem to be any real advantage either way, just a personal preference. I've read that the hydraulic doesn't reduce the effort, but may be a bit smoother though.

You'll get to it, but the big discussion is always power steering or not for most new builders. I gave up on the manual steering after reading that most do power steering not for the reduced effort at slow speeds, but for the "driving geometry". I hear it makes for faster times in autocross competition too.

So what part of the country are you in?
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would go with 4 into 1 Coyote headers, ball flange and hyd slave cyl clutch.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    Welcome, glad to see another Coyote build. I have similar a setup I just finished and sent out for paint. Hydraulic versus cable is discussed often on this forum. I finally decided to go old school and low tech with the cable and it seems to be fine for driving. There doesn't seem to be any real advantage either way, just a personal preference. I've read that the hydraulic doesn't reduce the effort, but may be a bit smoother though.

You'll get to it, but the big discussion is always power steering or not for most new builders. I gave up on the manual steering after reading that most do power steering not for the reduced effort at slow speeds, but for the "driving geometry". I hear it makes for faster times in autocross competition too.

So what part of the country are you in?
    Hotlanta GA!

Post Thanks / Like
    What part of ATL? My kit should be finished and ready for pickup mid October. I am in Suwanee and work in Midtown. We can connect if you would like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_V View Post
    What part of ATL? My kit should be finished and ready for pickup mid October. I am in Suwanee and work in Midtown. We can connect if you would like.
    I’m in Brookhaven, behind the Costco.

That’d be great.
    Here’s my ph spelled out so I don’t get harvested:
    404-seven eight six eight eight eight four

Text or call

Post Thanks / Like
    While I was at the Factory Five factory tour last week I tried on all the cars in the showroom. Some had manual clutch, some had hydraulic. I also asked Dan what would be best for a street cruiser. He convinced me that a hydraulic clutch would be much easier on the left leg. I live in the DC area and the traffic around here would make driving a manual clutch painful most days.

Just my .02

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by opie.boodalatski View Post
    I’m in Brookhaven, behind the Costco.

That’d be great.
    Here’s my ph spelled out so I don’t get harvested:
    404-seven eight six eight eight eight four

Text or call
    Send you a text. Soemthing tells me we will be wrestling with many of the same questions.