Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  29

Thread: Building the Twins...finally had time to update

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Building the Twins...finally had time to update

Good evening all, after much internal debate i figured its time to lets the proverbial cats out of the bag. In order to do so i will start with a little bit about my self and then get in to the builds. My name is Tommy. I have been in the custom car industry for just shy of 20yrs.. I began my career after graduating from Wyotech in 2001 working for a NASCAR Team and did a season with them and transitioned to becoming a driving instructor..not a bad gig for a single 21 yr old..lol.. But as life goes things tend to "pop" up..you know..like kids. So i left the racing for a bit and managed to get on the team at Unique Performance building the GT500E for Shelby.. Aside from the debacle that happened at Unique the experience for me was great. Did a few tv shows Rides, Over-Haulin and American Chopper. I worked there for almost 5 yrs starting in the fab shop, then ending as a lead final inspection..meaning i got to do 100 mile shake down on the completed vehicles..that was fun.. While I was there i had a very "Unique" experience..it was a saturday..i was one of 3 guys who came in to get a car ready for Barrett-Jackson, as Im elbow deep in the engine compartment of a Super Snake i see a shadow out of the corner of my eye approach and stand on the other side of the car.. "What-cha working on".. a voice that i recognized but never heard in person.. I look up and its him..my idol. Mr Shelby himself is asking me a 24yr old kid what im working on..I was speechless...as far as im concerned god just asked me about what im doing to the car with his name on it.. that pretty much cemented my passion for Shelby. And I got to go for a rip in THE yellow 289 cobra race car, that was cool too.. After leaving Unique I continued to work in the custom car industry, then in 2013 I tried something a bit out of my wheels house...I went Off-Road racing with the Team at Tribe 16.. We managed to win 3 consecutive national championships in the Ultra4 series and ran King of the Hammers 4 times with a field of 5-7 cars..while crew chiefing and running pits for said teams...What a completely amazing experience..that off road stuff is a different beast in its self. While at Tribe we built a SEMA Car and when I was boarding the plane to return home i bump into a friend of mine whom I havent seen in close to 10 yrs..we start talking..one thing lead to another then 2 years later Im working for him and back building custom cars..which brings us up to speed. Now 41 and a father of 2 boys, I am shop manager for a small shop in Ft. Worth TX. Injected Customs where we specialize in pre-1970 cars. Ill throw a few pics up of the shop when i can. We are small..just myself and 3 other guys..counting the owner/Friend from way back. Anyways...boring i know.

SO to the meat of it ALL.. Since the GEN1 coupe came out I have been wanting to build a coupe..I have considered it my personal unicorn.. Through my career I have built just about every classic that is popular to build and when it comes to first gen mustangs and Camaros..lets just say im over that ****...lol

We have a customer who was interested in doing a project...something different...after a few ideas I suggested why not build a Coupe? Not only did I get the green light but we bought 2!! thats right friggin 2! One base coupe (S-Car) and one R model (R_Car).. To say I am gitty like a kid before xmas would be an understatement.

So here are the details:
    I'll start with the Standard Coupe, which we call the S-Car..she will be the "Gentlemans" version..lol..
    It is going to be a Tribute to CSX2299, I say tribute because i have no intent on it being a "replica". She will have the same Guardsman Blue Paint/Wimbledon White Stripes, Roundells #13, All period correct sponsor decals...everything to replicate the "Look" of CSX2299.. Along with the appearance we will be using some of the same components the Daytonas pioneered such as air jacks for example.
    Components:
    FFR Coupe Gen3 Complete Kit w/ IRS, A/C
    Ford Performance 427c.i./535hp Boss Crate Engine
    Aviaid Custom rear Sump Oil Pan (they made the original coupe oil pan)
    Borla 8-Stack Fuel Injection
    Holley Dominator ECU with traction Control
    Tremec T-56 with Quicktime bellhousing and ACE twin Disc clutch
    Racetech seats and Hans-Comp Harnesses
    Wilwood Aero6 with 14" Rotors in front with Aero4 and 14" rotor rear (we had custom brackets made to fit the front brakes)
    Classic Instruments Custom gauges with 200mph GPS speedo and gauges with built in warning system
    Forgeline RS6 wheels-finished like originals with white center Front 19x10 with 305 tire Rear 19x12 with 335 tire
    Goodyear tires...cuz the original had em
    Fuelsafe fuel cell
    Holley dual intank pump with hydramat
    Vintage air front runner system with KRC upgraded powersteering pump
    Full interior with Alcantara covered dash and console, suede headliner, carpet
    Dynamat lite with lizard skin thermal and acoustic
    Rugged radios Intercoms with bluetooth
    KC Hilights Gravity LED headlights and driving lights
    Ron Davis radiator
    Engine Oil cooler
    Hotchkis Coil Overs
    Air Jacks

Im sure im forgetting a lot but just ask..

And now the R-Car:

Now this one is going to be a bit different..our plan of attack was to approach this build as if the Coupe were to be built today.. Lots of techy bits, modern engine and controls. And Violent unapologetic speed. She will be built to compete-SFI/FIA approved components, with a focus on Open Road Racing like the Big Bend Open Road Race and Silver State Classic, And of course banging doors on the circut.

FFR Complete Gen3-R with IRS, R-Nose with canards and splitter, carbon rear wing, front and rear aero scoops
    Custom Belly Pan and rear diffuser
    5.2XS Aluminator Engine 580hp
    Aviaid 4-stage Dry-Sump system
    Borla 8-Stack injection
    Holley Dominator ECu with Traction Control and Ti-VCT control
    Racepak Smartwire Power Distribution Module
    Racepak IQ3 Dash
    Racepak Vantage CL2
    Tremec T-56 with custom gearing for the high revvin 5.2
    Quicktime bellhousing and ACE Triple disc clutch
    Racetech Seats with head restraint, Hans-comp. harness,
    Racetech Vintage dish steering wheel with centering stripe
    Racetech Door pulls and Tow Straps
    Hotchkis Electronic Coilovers
    Wilwood Aero6R with 14" Rotors in front with Aero4R and 14" rotor rear (we had custom brackets made to fit the front brakes)
    Front and rear Brake Cooling
    Forgeline RS6 wheels-still debating finish options Front 19x10 with 305 tire Rear 19x12 with 335 tire
    Michelin Pilot GT2 Tires
    Fuelsafe fuel cell
    Holley dual intank pump with hydramat
    XRP Hoses and Fittings
    Full interior with Alcantara covered dash and console, suede headliner, carpet
    Dynamat lite with lizard skin thermal and acoustic
    Rugged radios Intercoms with bluetooth
    Rugged Radios Helmet Fresh Air System
    LeadNav Navigation system (For the open road races)
    Lifeline Electronic fire suppression system
    Air Jacks
    Trans and differential coolers with thermo switch with fan and manual overide
    Engine oil cooler
    Powersteering cooler
    Ron Davis radiator

thats all i can think of at the moment.. there are a number of pics already posted as im playing catch up with the build thread..
    Last edited by TommyF; 11-25-2019 at 12:39 AM.