Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: front wheel wells

Post Thanks / Like

front wheel wells

still waiting on stewart to bring my car ,but have been thinking about how to fasten front wheel wells to hood,i was thinking i could use 3m panel bond to glue few studs in place
    then use small angle clips ,what have others done to bolt these on??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhit View Post
    still waiting on stewart to bring my car ,but have been thinking about how to fasten front wheel wells to hood,i was thinking i could use 3m panel bond to glue few studs in place
    then use small angle clips ,what have others done to bolt these on??
    Do you mean the splash guards that are attached to the underside of the hood? There's already fiberglass ribs, part of the shell pieces, that you rivet them to. Shows that in the instructions and works fine.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Do you mean the splash guards that are attached to the underside of the hood? There's already fiberglass ribs, part of the shell pieces, that you rivet them to. Shows that in the instructions and works fine.
    i have not seen that i quess the manual that comes with kit must be differnt than down loadable that i was sent
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, you gen III guys are lucky. I had to make my own!

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    i have not seen that i quess the manual that comes with kit must be differnt than down loadable that i was sent
    thanks
    The same instructions are in both. Just checked. "Rivet the panel to the nose flange and silicone the backside of the weatherstrip to the side of the nose." In the section near the end where all the splash panels are installed. Don't get too lost in the weeds before your kit arrives. You'll have dozens of these kinds of details to work through when the time comes.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    The same instructions are in both. Just checked. "Rivet the panel to the nose flange and silicone the backside of the weatherstrip to the side of the nose." In the section near the end where all the splash panels are installed. Don't get too lost in the weeds before your kit arrives. You'll have dozens of these kinds of details to work through when the time comes.
    your are right i am trying to have everything planned out before it arrives
    thats just how i am

Post Thanks / Like
    thats just how i am
    Having reached a certain milestone in my build, I was actually writing a post for my build thread just about thinking ahead and reflecting on work done so this seems very fitting. You might be a little ahead of yourself thinking about splash panels but I think you're smart to think ahead. Looking for solutions before you hit problems is a good idea. Thinking about how things interface, how one thing can affect another is important and by thinking ahead the build quality of your car will be much better. Everyone's skill level is different, for me I am seeing most everything for the first time having never built a car and thinking ahead, reading, asking questions and absorbing what everyone is sharing has helped me tremendously. By thinking ahead and researching you're not necessarily seeing things for the first time because it's been in your mind for a while. By the time you've reached the next point you've built that part of the car in your head a few times. That said I am careful not to jump to far ahead. I take things in smaller chunks. For example I haven't even thought about splash panels or really any sheet metal rear of my engine as of yet. I just try to think about the next task, for me taking in the whole thing in is overwhelming. After having my engine installed I want to tackle plumbing and just make the cleanest job possible. I haven't even thought about electrical yet except to say I know it's coming up so as I am doing the plumbing I am noticing ways to conceal the wiring or route it in a way that will look great. You'll notice in my build thread I reference whats to come a lot and really it's my way of bring those subjects to the forefront of my mind and start thinking ahead. You're on the right track. Keep the questions coming it's all good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    thats just how i am
    It seems that most new builders run into similar problem areas around the parts that move ie: hood, doors and rear glass. Going through the build threads can show you different ways people have solved them. You'll also see the different creative ideas people have come up with you may not have considered and want to incorporate that may change how you do other things.

just trying to give you more stuff to over think.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.