Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 6MT Male Stub Shaft In/Out Play

Post Thanks / Like

6MT Male Stub Shaft In/Out Play

Hi: I am changing the shaft seals on my 01/02 JDM 6MT. When I took the axle off the passenger side, I noticed some in and out play in the male stub shaft that is sticking out. I have not pulled the stub shaft yet, and I have new circlips to put in.

Questions:
    1) What is a normal amount of in and out play/movement on the stub shaft?
    2) As long as the stub shaft doesn't fall out, should I be concerned?
    3) Do I need to pull the stub shafts to replace the seals? It seems, from the looks of it, that I could work the seal back over the shaft while screwing the sundial back in - if I am careful. For sure on this model, I have to pull the sundials and put the seals in from the back side. I know to precisely count the number of turns and to put it back exactly.

There is no radial play, just in and out. While I am "doing surgery" I want to make sure I get everything fixed.

As some background, I drained the oil from both pans and pulled the small pan (could not get bolt out). The small pan has a ring magnet that had some "gunk" on it, presumably from years of use, but no metal flakes or shavings.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Happy New Year.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm no expert but having rebuilt both the 5MT and 6MT transmissions I do have some knowledge to pass on.

1) Some amount of end play is normal. Exactly how much depend on your stubs, circlips and front diff so there is no exact answer.

2) As long as the stubs don't pull out without a firm tug, your ok.

3) You can replace the seals with the stubs in but its much easier if you pull them. When pulling the sun dials, make sure you only do one at a time so things do not shift in the front carrier.

Sounds like you got this
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A