Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: Building a my Coupe of tea!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Building a my Coupe of tea!

Hello guys!

I have been wanting to build race-ready daily driver for quite some time now. I have looked into several kit cars and production cars, and always come back to either an SL-C, the Datsun 240z, and the Coupe. I cannot justify the cost of building an SL-C, and the Datsun requires considerable amount of work for what I have envisioned, perhaps as much as the Coupe, but without some of its advantages. So I have decided that the Coupe is the way to go for me!

This is basically what I want to do with the Coupe. I want to put a BMW N54 engine in it, and an automatic ZF 6HP transmission. I know this engine and how to work with it. I can get a lot of power with little investment, and a good stream of replacement parts for cheap. I know this might feel sacrilegious to some of you, but I believe the spirit of the original Daytona was to show the ingenuity of people that are willing to push boundaries, and to win by doing that. Besides, what's the point of building your own car if you don't get to build it the way you want it!

Now, I am planning on making the Coupe AWD, running ABS and DSC from a BMW with similar wheelbase and fairly close weight to a finished coupe. Also, I will be installing a a power steering system, but I am not much concerned with that.

My biggest concerns at the moment are: 1) front suspension geometry given that the AWD system would require a different steering knuckle than the one provided by FFR, and modifications to the strut mounting points to clear the CV Axle, and 2) matching tone rings for the ABS/DSC system. I am not sure whether using Mustang outer CV joints all around would play nice with the BMW system (the tone rings on the Mustang are bigger), or whether I am going to have to find a way to mate the BMW outer joints to the rear Ford Axles (I will be using the IRS with Mustang axles, but the front axles will come from a BMW).

Any advice on how to tackle these two issues?
    Last edited by SlugSpeed; 12-11-2019 at 03:15 AM.

2. Likes MSumners liked this post