BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Roll up windows in GenIII coupe?

Post Thanks / Like

Roll up windows in GenIII coupe?

Noob question here... all the gallery pics I see of builds have static or slider windows. Are there any options for retracting windows into the doors?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    ynsinCA,

Roll up windows in a coupe would require custom fabrication. I've seen it done before; I'll try to find the thread.

Welcome to the forum!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

3. Thanks ynsinCA thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Still looking for the build thread but here's a demo they created for how it works:

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...or-the-Type-65

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Still looking for the build thread but here's a demo they created for how it works:

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...or-the-Type-65
    Very cool! Thanks!
    Looks like a lexan window. I was hoping for something similar to a superformance window setup... guess it would require more custom fab.

superformance-cobra-std.jpg
    Last edited by ynsinCA; 01-14-2020 at 04:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ynsinCA View Post
    Very cool! Thanks!
    Looks like a lexan window. I was hoping for something similar to a superformance window setup... guess it would require more custom fab.

superformance-cobra-std.jpg
    The FFR stationary windows seem to work well.
    Similar to the removable windows in Jeeps.

I bet you would like them more than you think.
    You can't beat the racing image of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't seen any updates on this for awhile. But another option might be out there. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Coupe-windows. This thread also has some decent pictures of the current Factory Five fixed window offering. It's what I put on my build and I'm happy with it. Fits the character of the car perfectly IMO.

Somebody has to say it -- by the time you incorporated these and other similar changes into the more race inspired Factory Five version, the Superformance might be the better choice. Just saying. But then "Built not bought" no longer applies, and that's huge for me.
    Last edited by edwardb; 01-15-2020 at 07:57 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Even if FFR supplied the necessary bits, you could count on plenty of time spent getting them to work properly. Most of their other models that come with movable windows take considerable rework to work properly. But, if that’s what you want, you should do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ideally, I would love a build that would be comfortable enough for weekend trips up the coast, can be locked and secured in a parking lot. The race style windows don’t look like they lock... am I wrong? I love the idea of building the car, love the Daytona... for that money I’m hoping for a secure window.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all for the latest thread links and input!
    Great info. Super stoked to see FFR looking into it! Though pricey, I think I would likely want the option for a rollup window... but seeing how the Superformance price is pretty on par for a limited run vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ideally, I would love a build that would be comfortable enough for weekend trips up the coast, can be locked and secured in a parking lot. The race style windows don’t look like they lock... am I wrong? I love the idea of building the car, love the Daytona... for that money I’m hoping for a secure window.
    There is no provision for locks on the doors or rear hatch glass. The Factory Five available sliding side windows don't lock. You have to reach through and pull the door handle. It's a pretty good reach, and most wouldn't know how or where. Some builders also use door poppers to eliminate the reach plus add some security. The hatch glass is a push button that twists after you push it. Probably wouldn't be too hard to source a locking version of that latch. Pretty sure previous versions did have a lock there. A full on security system with a perimeter alarm might be an option if you wanted to go that way. Just hasn't been necessary in my experience. I find people are respectful of these cars and it's not a problem. If someone is determined to steal it, you're not going to stop them with door or window locks, or probably even an alarm system.

Thanks all for the latest thread links and input!
    Great info. Super stoked to see FFR looking into it! Though pricey, I think I would likely want the option for a rollup window... but seeing how the Superformance price is pretty on par for a limited run vehicle.
    Not sure where you got the impression FFR was looking into roll-up windows. Not that I'm aware of. Superformance really is a very different Coupe than the Factory Five version. They share the same background, sort of, but the comparison kind of ends there. And a lot more money. Especially for new.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

12. Thanks ynsinCA thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ahh! I misread the other thread. Not FFR but another vendor considering the electric window design. Frankly, a manual option would be fine for my needs.
    It was interesting to see the door mechanism and the windows were two of the big design upgrades to the Superformance Daytona upgrades as well. The door latch changes coming at Shelby’s insistence from the story I got.
    I’m really looking forward to the Huntington Beach rally this year! Hopefully, I’ll get to meet some of you and check out the Coupe up close!

Post Thanks / Like
    John Nizman from LastChanceAutoRestore.com is developing a power window kit. Looks very promising. His video on finishing a Daytona Coupe I think is really informative and well done.

https://youtu.be/xgS-u0-MNxQ

15. Thanks ynsinCA thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkviper View Post
    John Nizman from LastChanceAutoRestore.com is developing a power window kit. Looks very promising. His video on finishing a Daytona Coupe I think is really informative and well done.

https://youtu.be/xgS-u0-MNxQ
    That's perfect! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's perfect! Thanks!
    FormaCars has a very nice solution I saw at Barrett Jackson.Check them out!

They are a forum vendor
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like

19. Likes Jkviper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This build is stunning! Love the windows and door handles! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STlaN4RH6WE