Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tire options when using the factory five wheels are terrible.

Post Thanks / Like

Tire options when using the factory five wheels are terrible.

When I look at the tire sizes recommended, for the factory five 818 wheels, it looks like they are recommending a very short sidewall and also a size combination that is near impossible to buy matching tires (same brand and style for front and rear).

additionally, when i look at the width of the rim vs. the recommended tire width, the fronts seem to be one size too narrow and the rears one size too wide.

before i try to reinvent the wheel......has anyone run this combo? they are available in a ton of brands and styles, and fit the width of the wheels perfectly.

852EB62B-F969-4BF5-9DA6-6316892FE89B.png

Post Thanks / Like
    The front tires are the issue. If you go much taller than the recommended size you run into rubbing issues. Its worse on the first gen cars. They enlarged the fenders when they redesigned the nose.

With the size you selected for the front 225/45 R17 you are likely to have to make modifications so the tires do not rub the frame when turning lock to lock.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are going will all-season tires, I agree there are limited options with the FFR wheels.

I went with these with no frame rubbing issue in the front:

215/45R-17 BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE980AS XL
    255/35R-18 BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE980AS XL

Cheers

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    'No complaints here with Yoko AD08's in what I think are the "stock" sizes- 215/40-17 & 255/35-18. The fit on the wheels is fine too. It looks like they now have another model for less $$.
    I do get a slight rub at full lock- but I try not to spend too much time at full-lock...
    I can appreciate a bit more sidewall with the crap road conditions around here, but this car & sizes do have limits. As an S and a street car, I don't plan to drive in the rain and have only been in damp conditions, so I can't comment on tread or rain use.
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out the third link on post #1:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...mp-Tire-Thread
    It's a spreadsheet of possible wheel and tire combos

I'm running:
    F 215/40/17 BFGoodrich g-force KDW2 on Drag DR-31 17X8
    R 255/35/18 BFGoodrich g-force KDW2 on Drag DR-31 18X9.5

The fronts rub slightly on the frame at full lock but I'll be fixing that with rack limiters soon. The rears needed 10mm spacers but I'm also going to install Wayne's trailing arms.

Post Thanks / Like
    I totally agree that it is really challenging to find tires to the recommendations that FFR gives for their wheels. Assuming that they are correct and 215/40/17 works on the front and 255/35/18 works on the back, I narrowed my search down to just Yokohama, Dunlop Direzas and Pirelli PZero Nero GT.

There are Yokohamas that will fit but too expensive for me. The Dunlop tread is too shallow for me to feel good about using it as a driver.

I think I am going for the Pirellis. $682 for a set on TireRack. I'm not racing the car so they should be fine for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Tire Rack lists Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's in the factory size recommendations at $193 front and $228 rear. I also use Discount Tire and when they don't have the tire I want, they can always get them (probably at Jobber pricing through The Tire Rack) in a few days for competitive pricing. Usually a few bucks more but no hassling with other installers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the factory recommends 215/40/17 for the fronts. That is what I am finding is the most challenging.

I don't think the Pilot Sports come in that size. They are 215/45/17.

Post Thanks / Like
    Right...... what started all this was not being able to get Michelin tires in the "recommended" sizes.

I have 2 options if I go to tire rack right now, and basically nothing on discount tire...... although I assume that they will order and match with tire rack does since they carry all the same brands?