Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  49
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NUHale's MKIV 7275 Build Thread - FFR Premium Top Review

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm considering replacing my intake manifold with this one from Holley.

https://www.holley.com/products/inta...s/parts/839031

I'm gonna be honest that the move is more for the jewelry box aspect as I'm not in love with the plastic gen 2 cover. It's ok... This manifold with the chrome coil covers would look sweet IMO. I'm in the process of finding a tuner so would prefer to pay for this once as replacing the manifold will certainly require a tune. Anyone make this change and could share their experince?

Thanks!

UPDATE 10/15/20: After several discussions with performance shops decided not to go this direction. Lots of negitive feedback from the pros on this (or similar) intakes ranging from they don't seal well to heat transfer to the aluminum. Several reccos for the new gen 3 GT intake or if wanting "jewelry" the Boss 302.
    Last edited by nuhale; 10-15-2020 at 08:45 AM.
    MKIV #7275 Acquired June 2019 (2010 partial build), Gen 2 Coyote by Forte w/TK600- PRO 5.0 - McLeod RST twin Clutch-QT Bell, old style IRS, 8.8 3.55 Rear, Gas'n Headers/Pipes, Power Steering, Hydroboost by Forte, Breeze Roll Bar, Heated Seats, 17" halibrand w/ Nitto G2, Maradyne Fan Controller, Paul Proe Vent Kit, Russ Thompson Signal w/ FTP- Received June 2019/First Start April 2020/Go Cart May 2020/Legal September 2020/PAINT BY SPOTLIGHT CUSTOMS JAN 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Check hood clearance. Looks good!
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed an aluminum intake manifold from Modular Motorsport Racing On my 2016 Gen II. . Very similar to the Holly you show. I had the same expectations; something that looked better (to my personal taste) than the factory plastic. I’m very happy with it. Looks good, fired right up with the factory tune and hasn’t given me any problems. I did have an aftermarket tune because of the intake and headers. There are pros and cons of giving up the CMCV system and supposedly some low end performance drop, but I love the look and don’t notice any lack of performance. Can’t post a photo from my phone but my build thread has plenty if you are interested.
    -Steve
    Last edited by Straversi; 09-17-2020 at 10:47 AM.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Sad end to the day yesterday. 7275 was tucked in for a long slumber in storage as winter is approaching. Did all the maintenance including oil, flushed coolant, greased joints, full tank etc. On a positive note we've had some pretty good fall weather unto this point and was able to log 1500 Miles on 7275 from getting her registered in September. I'm a junkie! This has been an amazing experience and driving the MKIV truly is the icing on the cake... Can't wait for spring!!!!!

Now just pick up the garage, get the daily drivers back in place which will make wife happy and wait for the call from Kleiner that my number has been pulled.
    Last edited by nuhale; 10-15-2020 at 09:00 AM.
    MKIV #7275 Acquired June 2019 (2010 partial build), Gen 2 Coyote by Forte w/TK600- PRO 5.0 - McLeod RST twin Clutch-QT Bell, old style IRS, 8.8 3.55 Rear, Gas'n Headers/Pipes, Power Steering, Hydroboost by Forte, Breeze Roll Bar, Heated Seats, 17" halibrand w/ Nitto G2, Maradyne Fan Controller, Paul Proe Vent Kit, Russ Thompson Signal w/ FTP- Received June 2019/First Start April 2020/Go Cart May 2020/Legal September 2020/PAINT BY SPOTLIGHT CUSTOMS JAN 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Had some favorable weather today so was able to wake up 7275 and go for a nice fall afternoon drive. All was well a couple weeks ago going into storage. Apparently a Gremlin broke in and messed with my oil pressure gauge/sensor.

Here's the issue... Gauge shows "0" until above 2500RPM (almost exactly) then jumps on. Once I fall back below RPM the gauge goes back to "0". Checked for loose connection on sensor but didn't appear so.

Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    I will bet, what are Speed Hut gauges, for $50, Alex.
    Last edited by Railroad; 11-03-2020 at 09:48 PM.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes speedhut. I'm seeing some noise on the 2-wire... which is what I have.
    Last edited by nuhale; 11-03-2020 at 09:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had to replace several Speedhut pressure senders when they have gone belly up. Speedhut knows that they are prone to failure and will send you a replacement if you call. If they are sending one with the molded connector rather than the two studs ask them to include the matching pigtail as well. I believe the failures are vibration related and have begun taking the sender off of the engine and remote mounting them to the chassis or F panel using a short section of -3AN hose and fittings---none of those have failed.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Update that 7275 is going to paint. Working with Spotlight Customs in Georgia. Now the fun part of getting it down there. I'm leaning towards renting a U-Haul flat car hauler and taking it myself to save a couple $$. This is a bit of a hike from Chicago. Any feedback or pointers on these trailers and distance? Will run into some grades in the Appalachian range so have some concern on the surge brake setup on these U-Haul's. Using a chevy express work van to tow.
    Last edited by nuhale; 11-20-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The trailer is heavier than the car. I pulled those trailers before buying one.
    They are heavy duty, and I had good luck with them. Some dealers will not rent one for a too small of a tow vehicle.
    I do not think my 2 wheel drive F150 qualified at the time.
    Might want to check the vans towing and hp numbers with the rental site.
    The trailer comes with wheel strap tie downs.
    If you have the tow power, you will be fine.
    good luck,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nuhale View Post
    Update that 7275 is going to paint. Working with Spotlight Customs in Georgia. Now the fun part of getting it down there. I'm leaning towards renting a U-Haul flat car hauler and taking it myself to save a couple $$. This is a bit of a hike from Chicago. Any feedback or pointers on these trailers and distance? Will run into some grades in the Appalachian range so have some concern on the surge brake setup on these U-Haul's. Using a chevy express work van to tow.
    I used one of these trailers to bring mine to CA for paint with Jeff Miller. These trailers are built very tough. I never found braking to be an issue. I pulled it with Vegas Jack's Nissan Frontier with ease. On I-15 from Las Vegas, we go through plenty of ups and downs plus the El Cajon Pass which is a long descending highway with sweeping turns.

Give the trailer a good look over. Some of them are old and have been used hard and put away wet.
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    The express van will be more than enough as it has tow pack. Think it's 8000lbs. EDIT: It's a 2500 3/4 ton with over 10,000 towing capacity... no problems there.

I know the recommended speed is 55mph. Not that I'm looking to hit triple digits but did you experience any oddities at ~70MPH. Thanks for the feedback!
    Last edited by nuhale; 11-20-2020 at 02:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope. 70 was fine. Check the air pressure on the tires. I think the 4 trailer tires ranged from 25 to 60 psi. The recommended pressure is on a sticker on the trailer.
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as the weather is not going to be messy, that is a great trailer... The surge brakes work GREAT and you will not even know they are there except when you hit the brakes and then realize you do not feel the trailer pushing you as much as you would expect. When are you going to be taking it? If needed, I could be interested in assisting you with transport with my enclosed trailer. PM me if interested.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Have a couple action items before 7275 goes to paint. Much of it is some final body fitment as I rushed to get it on the road to enjoy for the end of this driving season. My body is sitting PS about 5/16" so back at it to adjust.

Windshield mounts are eating at me a bit as I have some ADHD. AT LEAST THE ISSUE IS SYMETRICAL so there's that... Anyone have a tip or trick to bend these? I understand this is a common issue. Was thinking about taking out the side screws while supporting the windshield with a 2x4 against the rear cab body. Two popsicle sticks between a clamp and some leverage should do it?

Post Thanks / Like
    My other punch list prior to paint:

1. Adjust body PS to DS roughly 1/4"-5/16" in front
    2. Clean up hood mount latches. Plan to use Paul's method for threaded bases and notched angle on body
    3. Prep side louvers (DONE, polished and was a pain)
    4. DS door adjustment. I have the latch catch coming off the frame mount way too much. Will adjust body, re-adjust the door then remount latch
    5. Trunk "tear drop" cover for inside (bought from dark water customs). Plan to use alum rivnuts to mount.
    6. Telescoping Trunk prop from Period Correct install. Alum Rivnuts on trunk and #8 countersunk into body.
    7. Minor electric work. Plan to put in a diode or two as getting some minor backfeeding thru my grounds somehow from bilge pump fan & russ thompson flash to pass setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also taking a stab at a custom Gen2 Coyote cover. Not sure how this will turn out but starting to fabricate a custom made cover that will incorporate this aluminum oval air cleaner cover and cammer style coil covers. I bought these blank ones off Ebay as have access to a laser engraver that I can put the "Ford" logo on and save a few $$.

Drawing up some sketches soon so will post to get some feedback from this community. Looking for that modern retro look. Maybe watched one too many "*****en Rides" episodes during the pandemic.

Last edited by nuhale; 11-24-2020 at 01:30 PM.

18. Likes BadAsp427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got the coil covers and air filter cover. These are some pretty robust parts. Very solid. Mocked up a look with the cover elevated roughly 3/4" over the coyote plastic cover. Would plan to have the plastic coyote cover painted guardsman.

Afraid to ask but... what do you'all think? Maybe a little over the top but kind of gives it that classic look

Last edited by nuhale; 11-28-2020 at 05:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm liking the concept... Why have the cover elevated? How's it look flat down?

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600

Post Thanks / Like
    Bryan,
    As I said this afternoon, I like it! Now after seeing the big picture I'm wondering if it might not work better to have the sides if the intake cover done in a crinkle/texture black rather than guardsman so that they disappear a bit rendering the iconic oval air cleaner and the cammer covers the prominent focal points. If you do so I'd lose the 5.0 badge as well. But hey, that's just one guy's thoughts

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Great feedback... in poking around the internet I found a hammered finish on the cover and over the 5.0 emblem. Looked pretty cool. Looked kind of like a subtle embossment. I like the black idea. Still may want to highlight with the stripe with either an aluminum insert or paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    I'm liking the concept... Why have the cover elevated? How's it look flat down?
    I looked at it different ways and the raised gives it that classic look. Loses effect when flat against the cover

Post Thanks / Like
    Seeking dimensions for the side louver location, not the hole size itself. 7275 had pre-cut holes and they are almost 1-1/2" off side to side off the floor (right height is set). I cant seem to find the spec from originals or what typical builders do outside of "eyeballin' it". Gonna keep one or the other and re-glass the opposing side.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 5 cars here right now and just measured all 10 louver locations. From the lower edge of the body to the bottom of the opening they range from 11 1/2" to 12 5/8". They are consistently inconsistent! I have to tell you that aside from when I've had to cut them into cars that didn't have it done at the factory this is the first time I've ever measured and compared side to side

Cheers!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    just about 12" on mine. 7 inches from the side pipe cutout.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine are 11 3/4" DS and 13 5/8" PS. It's noticeable.. or at least to me. Maybe this is another sign of my OCD but nevertheless I think its gonna have to be addressed.

Thanks Al & Jeff!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine are 11 3/4" DS and 13 5/8" PS. It's noticeable.. or at least to me. Maybe this is another sign of my OCD but nevertheless I think its gonna have to be addressed.

Thanks Al & Jeff!
    Dam, that is really far off. Did FF do that? I would have a chat with them about this and see if they have a remedy. Perhaps they could at least send you a couple of the cut out pieces they have laying around to use as a hard filler if you go that route.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Al & Jeff!
    If you are using the Stock Louves they will cover larger holes than the upgraded pre-bent set so you can likely open up the smaller hole and make them match.
    Just know that bending the stock louvers doesn't always come out looking very good but if done with a make-shift break can actually come out looking great.

Louver Bending Description Video:
    https://youtu.be/QyMN73IW6I8

Graduation Video Has A Good Louver Close Up Shot Around One Minute Into It:
    https://youtu.be/9WEe6-wdNtA

Should you NOT feel like doing the bending, then please know I'll be happy to bend them for you.
    Just ship them to me and I'll take care of that task for you because helping each other is what this forum is all about.

Good Luck, Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas & Know That I'm OCD Too!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-12-2020 at 10:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a upgraded pre assembled set from ********** ready to be installed. Thanks for all the suggestions! Just gonna have the painter glass over one side and match to the 11 3/4 side.

31. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Big fight with my roadster DS door. I thought I had it... then I didn't... Had to call in a favor from a great guy in Indiana. Finally after wrestling with it for hours I got it and won this round. I've been reminded that this isn't my job but what to make sure I have it set when I deliver it next week to spotlight in GA for paint. Also got the hood perfect and latches complete. Everything is lining up and pretty damn straight.

Thanks again Jeff for taking time and being patient with me!

Hanging up my gloves for the day. Tomorrow will finish up most of the punch list stuff and will get things packed up and ready for transit at the end of the week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The driver's door is a pain in the neck, but it can be fixed without pulling the body.
    Not sure if this is a path you want to take, but it worked for me none the less.

https://youtu.be/6UK6K2jcwTU

No harm in hanging the gloves off to fight another day.
    It keeps you from throwing tools and breaking something in your shop.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-12-2020 at 06:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Always good talking with ya' Bryan! Happy to help you guys out any time---I think Go Dad had me on speed dial

...I've been reminded that this isn't my job...
    Like I said...it isn't unless you're going to MAACO

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Always good talking with ya' Bryan! Happy to help you guys out any time---I think Go Dad had me on speed dial

Like I said...it isn't unless you're going to MAACO

Jeff

Yes, I Do Have Sir Jeffski On Speed Dial!

....My Car Turned Out Great Because Sir Jeffski Was My Guardian Kleiner!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-12-2020 at 09:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post

Yes, I Do Have Sir Jeffski On Speed Dial!

....My Car Turned Out Great Because Sir Jeffski Was My Guardian Kleiner!
    I'm just waiting for somebody to photoshop a couple of wings onto a photo of Jeff...
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a new found appreciation for the guys who do body work on these (the Jeffs and more...)

I found this frustrating but also rewarding in that I have understanding of where the body work needs to be. Good learning experience. Many posts out there about how to align the DS door. I was attempting to even up the door jambs from the door to the body without realizing the the body in front of the DS door top takes a significant dip in. Ran some string lines to show these areas. Please no criticism on the windshield upright holes. Really botched that up & will be repaired.

Last edited by nuhale; 12-13-2020 at 10:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like I told ya'...one of the many nuances of these things that not everybody knows or realizes But it's still not your job

Question: You have a fiberglass scoop, right? If so maybe we'll make a deal to trade for the later ABS plastic kind.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished up all the punch list items. There is a back feeding issue that can occur with the RT flash to pass wiring diagram whereas if hazard is on and turn signal engaged it opens 12v back feed to fuse block and electrifies the coyote PCB. Not that these would ever be used in combination, just want to make sure I don't accidently blow fuses or cause some issues. Installed a diode in the turn 12v feed (see pic & yellow circle).

I also have an electrical issue that I may just leave well enough alone. I bought flasher relays for LED as I wanted to convert all indicator & brake lights to LED. The hazard relay works fine both on/off ignition. The turn flasher relay goes bananas when I have my bilge fan on and turn signal engaged. Went back to the analog flasher & incandescent and works. Probably just keep it this way unless someone can call me on my brain fart.

I finished installing the aluminum oval air cleaner to my gen 2 coyote engine cover. I plan to have spotlight customs paint the gray wings of the cover in guardsman. I think in the end this will come out really sharp and give 7275 just a little differentiation from the rest of the coyote pack. Used some spectre wing nuts holding it on an aluminum plate offset to the cover using some spacers.

Leaving to trailer 7275 down to Dahlonega, GA Friday AM. Somewhat in disbelief that I'm moving on to the body and paint steps. Going to rent a UHaul flatbed as the weather looks favorable.
    Last edited by nuhale; 12-16-2020 at 02:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the LED flasher polarized? If so, are you sure it's correct? If not does it make any change if you swap + and -? Are the relay and fan grounded to the same lug, terminal or under the same screw? I realize all grounds are common (and have often repeated what my old professor taught me---"ground is ground is ground is ground until it's not") but I've also seen funny things happen when a device is seeking the path of least resistance and winds up backfeeding through another. If they share any commonalities maybe try separating them to see if it forces a change in path.

Looks like it's supposed to be a dry day here; have a safe trip and don't hesitate to give me a shout if you run into any trouble when you're in my neck of the woods.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Is the LED flasher polarized? If so, are you sure it's correct? If not does it make any change if you swap + and -? Are the relay and fan grounded to the same lug, terminal or under the same screw? I realize all grounds are common (and have often repeated what my old professor taught me---"ground is ground is ground is ground until it's not") but I've also seen funny things happen when a device is seeking the path of least resistance and winds up backfeeding through another. If they share any commonalities maybe try separating them to see if it forces a change in path.

Looks like it's supposed to be a dry day here; have a safe trip and don't hesitate to give me a shout if you run into any trouble when you're in my neck of the woods.

Jeff
    It's not polar specific to my knowledge. This is a grounded flasher- LED electronic style. The bilge fan is mounted on the outer F panel above wheel and is grounded to that panel. As you stated, yes they share a common ground as they all do (ground is a ground is a ground...). They do not connect at same point. The PS bilge fan doesn't cause this to occur. Again, more of an annoyance but have it functioning with incandescents and a non grounded standard mechanical flasher.
    Last edited by nuhale; 12-16-2020 at 03:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    7275 on the trailer and ready to go. Hitting the road first thing and will deliver to spotlight customs first thing Saturday AM.

43. Likes GTBradley liked this post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast