Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2001 MK Roadster missing VIN

Post Thanks / Like

2001 MK Roadster missing VIN

Good evening,

This is my first time on the forum and I'm hoping someone can help me with this.

I just purchased a late model MK Roadster and for some inexplicable reason the VIN has been removed from the cockpit above the drivers right knee. Is there anywhere else on the chassis that a serial number or VIN is stamped?

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.

The FRAME ID you refer to exists for MKIII and later kits. Your thread title says 2001. If your kit is from that timeframe the frame ID will be located inside the 2x3 tube viewable on the driver's side behind the left rear tire.

If the local DMV (In Cali it's the CHP) assigned a VIN it could be located anywhere. On my MKIII they did not use the frame ID but instead my VIN is riveted onto the front X-member in between the front tires in the engine compartment.

HTH,

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    There was no factory vin on that generation car. We used to install a stamped vin on the car we build. There is however a frame production number welded into the 2x4 tube behind the drivers seat . I don't remember of you add 1001 or 1011 to it to get the VIN. You can get that production number and call FFR and they should be able to tell you.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...duation/65.jpg

If it's any help at all, my 2004 frame has the number in the cockpit above the driver's LEFT knee.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 4 digit frame number as stated is welded inside the end of the square tube easily visible with the left rear wheel removed. My VIN as originally assigned by Ohio in 2002 is riveted to the clutch quadrant cover in the engine bay and also added to the frame rail above the knees. As stated, could be almost anywhere. Unfortunately Factory Five won’t be much help, although they would like to. They lost ALL their data in a computer system upgrade in 2005. At least that is what they told me when enquiring about my Mk1.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Mike View Post
    I just purchased a late model MK Roadster and for some inexplicable reason the VIN has been removed from the cockpit above the drivers right knee. Is there anywhere else on the chassis that a serial number or VIN is stamped? Thank you!
    Was the car previously registered in a State or Province, or did you buy an uncompleted kit? If it was already registered it may have an assigned VIN, which is what they do in BC. Mine came from the motor vehicle branch, stamped on an aluminum plate, that needs to be attached to the car. Who knows where the previous owner/builder installed it I would think it would be mounted on the frame somewhere, or perhaps the top of the footbox in the engine compartment, firewall, etc.. The assigned VIN number, may, or may not incorporate the frame number in it.

If it's an uncompleted kit, you would have a frame number, but not a VIN. Here is a picture of the spot on the 2x3 frame on an earlier roadster had the frame number. This is the one behind the passenger compartment, seen best as mentioned, with the left rear tire taken off.

This is the location of the frame number on the MK3, and 3.1 models.
    Last edited by AC Bill; 02-20-2020 at 03:46 AM.
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

7. Thanks Toronto Mike thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    FFR supplied this with my MK3.1, already with the serial number stamped out, but it is not a VIN number. It's optional as to whether you attach it. Some fellows put them on the top of the foot-box in the engine compartment.

http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/1385...-number-plate/
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010