BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Motor are you thinking about putting in your F9?

Post Thanks / Like
    How about some love for the 6 cylinder?

Ford Barra
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Barra_engine

GMC Vortec 4200
    https://jalopnik.com/one-of-the-last...our-1794604005

Toyota I6 (Supra). JZ
    https://jalopnik.com/one-of-the-last...our-1794604005

all very capable of easy Turbo power. And sounds. Don't see many V6s that I like. Mostly because the V6 is usually a 90 degree engine. Should be 60 Degrees to sound right.
    Last edited by KenWilkinson; 04-18-2020 at 08:55 AM.
    FFR 35 p/u # 0014
    I used to think I needed a Rolex watch, now I’d be happier with a Swedish K!

Post Thanks / Like
    I vote for a twin turbo aluminator with Borla exhaust. It would be up in the 700 hp. My question though on the car is the aerodynamics at high speed. I've always wanted to build a car that was capable of 200 mph, but not of its stability at that speed. The coupe is proven at that speed though.
    Last edited by TBull; 04-18-2020 at 09:44 AM.
    FFR #4402 MKII Supercharged 308 445 RWHP Sterling Grey W/ Black Sapphire Stripes, Purchase 8/22/2008 Sold 12/04/2018
    FFR #8249 MK IV "Milano" Kit purchased 10/5/2018 - In-Process with 3.27 IRS, Multiport, Fuel Injected Supercharged 347 Big bore with Coil On Plug running Holley HP engine management, 576 RWHP, 510 Torque
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?29980 Milano thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Tbull,
    Our Coupe should be pretty well north of 200mph, though we have only had it to 180. At 180 it is very stable and even without windows, it is amazingly quiet with virtually no wind noise at that speed. When I was at FFR late last year, I had the opportunity to look at the design in quite a bit of detail. Though I have not worked on aerodynamics since my college days, I am feeling pretty good about the body shape. That being said the drag is product of the drag coefficient and the projected front area. The frontal area of this car is substantially larger than the coupe as it is a fair bit wider. When I looked at it the width was somewhere in the 81" range therefore if Cd were the same as the coupe it would still require more power to achieve the same speed. That being said...It looks fast sitting still which isn't bad.

We are super stoked to get started on one as soon as possible.

Chris
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Derald Rice View Post
    When you are done removing your governor, you are welcome to come to Colorado and remove our governor.
    Then head further down the road to Michigan and remove ours too please.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would do a Coyote. Sounds great and plenty of power for this weight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a manual gearbox that would mate up to the HO Ecoboost that Ford uses in the new Raptor?
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I would probably drop in a BMW 3.0L inline 6 turbo motor for reliability or a Ford 3.5L EcoBeast.

Post Thanks / Like
    The new supercharged LS5. Sufficient horsepower and a warranty. I love Ford engines but until until Ford releases a crate Voodo I think a reasonable alternative is the LS5. Let the stone throwing begin.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mercury Marine's 7.0 DOHC Crate Engine!

https://www.mercuryracing.com/automotive/

It's A Pretty Motor That Makes Some Serious Pony Power!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Mercury Marine's 7.0 DOHC Crate Engine!

https://www.mercuryracing.com/automotive/

It's A Pretty Motor That Makes Some Serious Pony Power!
    Ok that's seriously impressive! I did not know Mecury Marine had an automotive division.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    That is pretty cool looking and fits the exotic bill any idea on the cost of that thing?

stack
    FFR MKI Roadster FFR2202K Built in 2000 sold
    FFR Hot Rod #39 under construction

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about something like this: https://treperformance.com/i-2390097...SABEgJD6vD_BwE

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuftster View Post
    How about a Mercedes V12 with equal length headers? Might not be the fastest engine but sure would sound good.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big...-sounds-f1-car
    https://jalopnik.com/how-to-make-a-u...nda-1611782156
    I would love to find a way to stuff an AMG 5.5l V8 Biturbo with the 7 speed MCT twin-clutch transmission into a build. It's rated at ~575HP but rumor is that's conservative, and the real number is north of 600HP. I fear that the electronics voodoo involved in putting this into a project car would be horrendous.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I could buy one of these F9s, I would put a Hellcat in it, backed by a Bowler Performance 4L80E with a Lokar Sport Shifter or a Tremec T56 Magnum.

Post Thanks / Like
    If Chris at fromacars.com produces a V12 Coyote then that motor with an 8-speed paddle shift transmission. If you want more power then you could twin-turbo it.
    Another choice would be the C8 Corvette Z06 5.5L twin-turbo flat plane crank engine with an 8-speed paddle shift transmission.
    You can’t beat the paddle shift on shifting speed and with the power you can keep both hands on the steering wheel. A lot of exotics are using automatics because of the faster shifting.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    Ok that's seriously impressive! I did not know Mecury Marine had an automotive division.
    https://youtu.be/Tajqa6T5Dw0

https://roadstershop.com/engines/mer...cing-sb4-dohc/
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-29-2020 at 09:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've looked all over the net and no price for these which means crazy high price
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    They cost about $30k.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has nobody mentioned Fords new 7.3 pushrod motor? That has already been stuffed into a Fox body, all motor was able to make 600 crank, and with a supercharger kit from whipple it is at 700. SIGN ME UP

20. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not certain that I would want more than 400hp considering I want to actually drive it around town and not at a race track. The BMW V12 (M70) or even the tried and true BMW Straight Six with the right massaging would easily be a great and somewhat exotic powerplant...smooth to! http://racingpowerplant.com/bmw_m70.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me pull something from way out in left field. The Connaught 2.0L V10 from the Connaught Type D Syracuse GT. Yes, 2000cc of pure supercharged goodness.

Post Thanks / Like
    4 rotor of course. I won’t buy a early model mark 1 FFR kit again, but maybe after a couple of years of ironing out the details.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

24. Likes Ajzride, DSR-3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian818 View Post
    4 rotor of course. I won’t buy a early model mark 1 FFR kit again, but maybe after a couple of years of ironing out the details.
    That would be a glorious engine to put in a F9!
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Raptor 3.5 V6 EcoBoost with a T56.

Post Thanks / Like
    now available as a Crate engine. Godzilla v8 from Ford. Cheap too!

https://www.thedrive.com/news/34491/...a-crate-engine

part number M-6007-73, available for a cool $8,150
    FFR 35 p/u # 0014

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KenWilkinson View Post
    now available as a Crate engine. Godzilla v8 from Ford. Cheap too!

https://www.thedrive.com/news/34491/...a-crate-engine

part number M-6007-73, available for a cool $8,150
    And larger and less powerful than a GM 6.2 liter...

https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...s/ls/ls376-525
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    And larger and less powerful than a GM 6.2 liter...

https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...s/ls/ls376-525
    Yeah, but it’s a Ford baby! Almost the same torque at 4000 vs 5200 rpm
    FFR 35 p/u # 0014

Post Thanks / Like
    That Ford Godzilla V8 is clearly all about the torque. Looking at the HP number totally misses the point. A Gen2 crate Coyote makes the same HP but I guarantee that Godzilla will not feel like a Coyote under the hood. It'll feel like a diesel, which is what they designed it to compete with.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    That Ford Godzilla V8 is clearly all about the torque. Looking at the HP number totally misses the point. A Gen2 crate Coyote makes the same HP but I guarantee that Godzilla will not feel like a Coyote under the hood. It'll feel like a diesel, which is what they designed it to compete with.
    I am generally a fan of Ford engines as I believe they are easier to build more power with, although usually end up costing more per HP than GM because of parts availability. That said, the GM 6.2 525 also builds more torque and is a much smaller package. Oh, and because it is much smaller displacement it likely does it with much better fuel economy and is lighter. About the only reason I can see to use the Godzilla engine is price, but because the ECU questions are still out there the LS may also be cheaper once everything is installed and running. I just don't see how this would be a good engine for a relatively light sports car. The Voodoo engine makes much more sense to me if one wants to stay with a Ford...although it has some drawbacks as well.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Or you can really step up to the plate and go Kaase Boss Nine. http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.com...e_engines.html

Yes it's not cheap, but the thrill will give everyone a chill.

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    Voodoo. Talk about a great sound at 8500 rpm...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    Actually they've been around for a while. 30 years ago they built the (Lotus designed) LT5 engine for the C4 Corvette ZR-1: https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...history/week12. Not sure they've had a sustained automotive presence though.
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not planning to do one but if I was, it would have to be a Voodoo. They are just too nasty sounding at 8500 rpm.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a Chevy guy...but I thought it would be cool to put a Ford Voodoo motor in one (with the flat plane crank) just to get the high end exotic sound out of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone ridden in a voodoo swapped car yet? I've heard that the mustang has active dampening for the motor vibrations built into it, and that the voodoo would be brutal in a car not designed for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajzride View Post
    Has anyone ridden in a voodoo swapped car yet? I've heard that the mustang has active dampening for the motor vibrations built into it, and that the voodoo would be brutal in a car not designed for it.
    Yup. Was told that directly by an engineer at Ford. Said there are dozens of unique parts on the GT350 for that very reason, and the engine will never get put into another car at Ford. Also said the rigid frame, headers, etc. for our builds would be incompatible. Things will break. Said that while in my garage shop looking at my Gen 3 Coupe chassis. While the flat plane crank engine sounds cool, and certainly revs, a stock Gen 3 Coyote revs to 8,000 (been there done that) and with just a few tweaks will produce just as much power. The recently introduced Gen 3 Aluminators are another option with even more potential. Cool factor on the Voodoo is high. Practical factor, not so much.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you even buy a Voodoo engine as a crate engine, or do you need to find a salvage? I see that Ford Performance has a 5.2L Aluminator 5.2 XS but it's listed as a cross-plane crank. 580HP out of the crate is pretty healthy but the $23K price tag... wow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Can you even buy a Voodoo engine as a crate engine, or do you need to find a salvage? I see that Ford Performance has a 5.2L Aluminator 5.2 XS but it's listed as a cross-plane crank. 580HP out of the crate is pretty healthy but the $23K price tag... wow.
    No. The Voodoo is not available as a crate. And the same Ford sources I cited before said it won't be. So people are either getting them in salvage or building them up themselves by getting the unique parts.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Helicopter Wrench-Bender ChopperJustin's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Korman Autoworks BMW 6.0L V12 would sound pretty awesome!
    "Gravity, It's The Law"

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a racer. I put a couple thousand miles on an engine and then rebuild or replace it. Yes the flat plane crank engines have their faults, but I have seen (and heard) them in race cars previously. Didn't note any particularly deal breaking issues. Are they high mileage ultra reliable engines like most of us are used to from a OEM crate engine? No. Does the VooDoo sound wicked and make a bit more horsepower with the flat plane crank? Yes, and maybe. Can you make as much HP as you would ever need with an offset crank? Yes, but if one is going to do maintenance at low intervals anyway, why not have that magical sound being produced? That is why I chose the VooDoo, but I have to agree with you that it would likely not be practical for most builders.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast