Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Paint Protection Film

Post Thanks / Like

Paint Protection Film

Before I start driving my cobra I want to get Paint Protection Film installed across the front, top of doors and front of rear fenders. Any recommendations for installation near Chino Hills would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ken
    MK4 Roadster # 8548, Ford Performance X427, TKO 600, 8.8 3 Link, Paint by Jeff Miller, Suspension setup by Frank Maslowski I.E.427

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I bought a large enough piece on amazon. Put some on the front lower corners of the front end. Not all over the front. My painter recommended just touch up paint for the chips. The corner protection is for hitting cones accidentally. Hit one and did its job. Top of passenger door piece for excited riders that flip the shoulder belt to the paint. Spats made out of them for rocks and dirt. Easy to make. Make a pattern with blue tape right on the area and transfer it to the 3M product, Cut, Install and your done.
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

3. Likes Cobradavid, cgundermann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used this for my Mk III. It has held up really well and saved countless chips. I heard a few years back they were developing a Mk IV kit - would be worth asking.
    https://www.autotrimdesign.net/Facto...ction_MkII.asp
    Geoff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RR20AC View Post
    I bought a large enough piece on amazon. Put some on the front lower corners of the front end. Not all over the front. My painter recommended just touch up paint for the chips. The corner protection is for hitting cones accidentally. Hit one and did its job. Top of passenger door piece for excited riders that flip the shoulder belt to the paint. Spats made out of them for rocks and dirt. Easy to make. Make a pattern with blue tape right on the area and transfer it to the 3M product, Cut, Install and your done.
    I did the same as Jim it worked out good and a lot cheaper. Jim more driving less writing.
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

6. Likes RR20AC, cgundermann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got a quote from Octintshop in Orange County to do the front, top of doors and front of rear fenders. Are you ready for this! $1998. I guess I will be attempting this myself like you guys.
    MK4 Roadster # 8548, Ford Performance X427, TKO 600, 8.8 3 Link, Paint by Jeff Miller, Suspension setup by Frank Maslowski I.E.427

Post Thanks / Like
    It is hard to find a shop that will even want to do it as there is no premade pattern like they use for all production cars. This has to be a custom job and with basically the entire front being one curve to the next it is tricky to even find someone competent enough to do a really good job on the entire front end. I put some around the oil cooler opening and it has held up nicely.

You quote seems in line with what I would expect. I paid about that for the front half of my 911 and the front of the rear wheel arches and that was working from a precut pattern.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

9. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How long has the paint been on? Don't even consider it until at least 90 days. That said...2000 bucks is ridiculous in my opinion.

Jeff

11. Likes cgundermann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had the front done half way up to the hood, spats and top of doors. 3M product done by a local shop. This was done 14 years ago. Took 2 days and $500.00. The shop owner swore me to secrecy never to tell anyone where I got it done because he never wants to do it again. Still looks fantastic. Do not use a power wheel on it though.

Troy
    " The journey is the reward" Chinese Proverb
    FFR Roadster #5380
    FFR Spyder GT #030

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff H View Post
    I used this for my Mk III. It has held up really well and saved countless chips. I heard a few years back they were developing a Mk IV kit - would be worth asking.
    https://www.autotrimdesign.net/Facto...ction_MkII.asp
    Geoff
    This is something that I would be really interested in. Hmm, wonder how difficult it is to install? Does it need to be shrunk with a heat gun like window tint?
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    https://premierarmor.com/clear-bra-p...otection-film/

My friend shopped around A LOT and got his stingray done here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TMartinLVNV View Post
    This is something that I would be really interested in. Hmm, wonder how difficult it is to install? Does it need to be shrunk with a heat gun like window tint?
    No heat needed. Just soap/water solution, sponges, squeegee. At the time I had never done anything like it so hired it out. Now I have done a couple of cars and it so quite easy to work with. But the help of a friend makes it much easier.

Geoff

Post Thanks / Like
    I seem to recall NiceGuyEddie used to have a drawing/pattern for the spats if you want to do it yourself.

David
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Post Thanks / Like
    I indeed have a pattern for the fender spats. Prints 1:1 from a .pdf or dxf. P/M me for my email if interested.

There once was a "free" share site to host files, I only wish it were still free.

You can cut the cost down from a pro job if you do the fenders yourself, they are really easy.

While we are on the subject, I had good luck with my SECOND go at spray bra. Lay it on thick and it will peel right off. It doesn't look perfect, but it's a great way to protect the nose if in the event you were going to take a long road trip to another state, etc.

It's also good for a track day, if you are afraid to put tape directly on your paint this is a good under-layment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqXJ4DwhiqQ

Post Thanks / Like
    NiceGuyEddie thanks for the referral. I found them in google search and already asked them for a quote. Do you have a pattern?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    p/m sent to Kobra01 with my email

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ed for sending me the spat pattern. Jeff your friend out here on the west coast painted my car over 6 months ago so I'm good to go. Got another quote locally and it was $1500. Guess I will try the fenders and door ledges myself. If I screw it up just peal it off, right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Even with all the $$$ & labor involved with body & paint work... "Them's hard-earned battle scars".

I'll take FFR's slogan "Built... Not Bought" to another level. "Driven... not Trailered". I've already got a serious DENT in the lower corner of the windshield frame from a big rock. An inch up & over would've been new glass. If I built the car to "flip", it'd be a different story. I built this one to drive.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    I've tried to submit a question about updating their design to the Mk IV to AutoTrimDesign a few times but keep getting error messages. Are there significant differences between the front end of the III and IV?
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting ready to try autocross this spring so I thought I would see if anybody had tried the auto trim product on a mark 4 cobra. Also wondering how much of a job it is to remove this stuff if my first attempt goes poorly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just found this stuff on Amazon,looks perfect for auto cross or track days.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F3DW4TQ...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    “Privateer”
    289 USRRC Chassis #9188 p/u 9/11/2017 Go kart 3/18/2018, road legal 6/16/2018
    Ford full roller 306 built by my son and me Holley Sniper EFI
    TKO600 2015 IRS 3:55. 17” FFR Hallibrand replicas, Power steering
    FFR Vintage instruments, Wipers and Heat/defrost
    Lots of parts and advice from Mike Forte & Mark Reynolds (Breeze Automotive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    “Privateer”
    289 USRRC Chassis #9188 p/u 9/11/2017 Go kart 3/18/2018, road legal 6/16/2018
    Ford full roller 306 built by my son and me Holley Sniper EFI
    TKO600 2015 IRS 3:55. 17” FFR Hallibrand replicas, Power steering
    FFR Vintage instruments, Wipers and Heat/defrost
    Lots of parts and advice from Mike Forte & Mark Reynolds (Breeze Automotive)

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqXJ4DwhiqQ&t=1s

The two products above look very promising for track days or a cross-country run. If you use the roll on stuff, be sure to lay it on thick, otherwise I'd suspect too thin a coating will result in my dilemma above....

Post Thanks / Like
    I had xpel ultimate plus paint protection film applied on my car yesterday. Very happy with the company in Corona that did it, it looks great and the price was very reasonable. If anybody wants to check it out your welcome to come to my house and see it. This is what they did. https://www.facebook.com/10000678369...6426097260151/

Post Thanks / Like
    For those who may be considering Paint Protection Film, autotrimdesign.net now has a MKIV precut kit. Their prices are going up! I just paid $480 with shipping for the nose area kit. Michael, at auto trim design, says the install is pretty straight forward for someone who does this professionally and the install time is 2.7 hours.
    MK IV Base Kit #9370 w/ FFR Lower Control Arms, donor 1996 Cobra 4.6 L DOHC; stage 2 Comp Cams, Manley forged Pistons & Rods, IMRC Delete Plates, T-45 transmission HD extra build w/ single disconnect reverse mod, 3-link w/ Koni Coil Overs 3:73 rear end. Painted and re-assembled Jan 2022.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used 3M product from amazon. Installation was a struggle.

Post Thanks / Like
    I saved the templates I made for the rear spats. If you do these yourself, I can copy these if you want...

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kobra01 View Post
    I got a quote from Octintshop in Orange County to do the front, top of doors and front of rear fenders. Are you ready for this! $1998. I guess I will be attempting this myself like you guys.
    I was quoted $2,500!
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kobra01 View Post
    I was quoted $2,500!
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.