Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Getting rid of shell?

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Getting rid of shell?

I'm trying to get rid of my wrecked shell

after several buyers flaked out I put in some info down at the "we buy any car places"

got one offer for $300 but when they called said it must include radiator engine trans rear and cats... GTFO the cats alone are going for $600

waiting to hear back from the others.

besides cutting up, anyone have success getting rid of the shell?
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Metal scrap yard.

Post Thanks / Like
    It may be different where you live, but we have scrappers drive around the Chicago suburbs on a regular basis. I stuck my shell at the end of the driveway with a sign that said "free" on it the day before garbage day and a scrapper came by within a few hours. I had some family over and we flipped the shell on its side and slid it up onto his landscaping trailer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajzride View Post
    Metal scrap yard.
    Got $175 for mine.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    I got $41 for mine at the scrap yard.

Post Thanks / Like
    I paid someone $50 to cart my mustang donor away. no wheels or drive train made it worthless, and of little scrap value. I tried to find someone to give it to, but there were no takers.

Post Thanks / Like
    a few questions first:
    Has your 818 already been inspected? Some states will require the donor to be present
    Do you have the title? I'm assuming so, but recycling yards will require it

I had a local metal recycler pick up my shell. Rolled it out of the garage on dollies and they winched it up on the flat bed, followed the driver to the yard, signed the title over, they made copies of everything and still paid me! I think it was ~$50.
    Factory Five 818c #456

Post Thanks / Like
    Got $500 for my un-wrecked shell from a guy on CL. I believe they drove down from the Rochester area.
    IMAG0159.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    My shell was busted and I took the VIN plate. Nobody wanted to touch it. My friend added it as a lawn ornament in the back part of his property.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same issues with trying to get rid of the Mustang donor for a Cobra build. Called around metal scrap places and they all said it would cost them $75 for a truck to come out and pick it up and there wasn't enough metal to make it worth their while. I phoned a bunch of places that advertised "any car in any condition", who all told me there wasn't anything usable in the car once I was done with it and they didn't want it. Finally I called the place back that said it would cost them $75 to pick it up and I told them I'll pay the $75 if they came and got it, so they did. Not good that it cost me money to get rid of something that is worth at least a little money in scrap metal, but there didn't seem to be any option.

A Fiero donor I got rid of by cutting up small enough to fit on a small trailer and took it to a scrap metal dealer and got a couple hundred dollars for it.

So while a metal scrap yard is a good idea, it often won't work unless you can get the hulk to them. Depends on the price of scrap metal at the time.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRWRX View Post
    A Fiero donor I got rid of by cutting up small enough to fit on a small trailer and took it to a scrap metal dealer and got a couple hundred dollars for it.

So while a metal scrap yard is a good idea, it often won't work unless you can get the hulk to them. Depends on the price of scrap metal at the time.

Rick
    Totally agree. With a simple sawzall and a Bi-Metal blade and some of your time, you can cut a shell up into small enough pieces that it will all fit into a small trailer or a pickup truck. Every one has a buddy with a pickup
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    I often see a "Push, Pull, or Drag, sale" at car dealers..Check the adverts in the local papers..

Wouldn't that be a shock to them..lol

13. Likes grabera7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone.

yeah none of the we buy any car places wanted it.

car has not been inspected, and yes i do have the title.

I guess i'll start cutting it up this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is something enjoyable in cutting up a car into small bits!

Post Thanks / Like
    Around here, the fastest way to get rid of something you don't want is to put it out on the curb with a sign saying "$100". If you put "Free" on it, it will sit there forever, but if you put "$100" it'll be stolen in no time.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

17. Thanks grabera7 thanked for this post
    Likes Jetfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well I just happened to accidentally put in an online request (all the junk your car sites look the same) from a company that previously said they don't take shells and guess what, they said they'd take it.

a few days later and it's gone.

glad to have the rest of my driveway back

Post Thanks / Like
    I cut mine up, threw it in the back of my pickup, and took it to the scrap yard. $33, might have paid for gas and blades. But it was hella fun and also kind of scary what you can do to a car with a little bit of time and a power tool. I'd post the time-lapse if I could figure out how.
    818C chassis #546. Ordered 8/14/18, picked up 10/6/18. First start 01/16/2021!
    Donor: 2006 WRX wagon, 108k miles.
    Options: Chassis powder coat, CF street splitter, rockers, diffuser, and spoiler, polished shift knob, adjustable rear lower lateral control arms, vinyl padded dash/door, complete carpet set, battery cut-off switch, wiper kit, aluminum shifter assembly, complete CV axles, harness bar mount, matte gunmetal wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    I cut mine up. One place said I could only cut it into two pieces and had to give them the title. The place 5 mins down the road said "if it's cut in little pieces it's just scrap, not a car, we don't need the title. I cut it into pieces I could lift and fit on a trailer.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Put my donor Mustang shell on craigslist after having sold literally everything off it separately. At the time, I only had the 88 Mustang 85 mph speedo. The buyer came and traded me a 140 mph cluster for the shell. Ended up needing it transported, which I did with my trailer. He gave me $50 for transporting it. He planned to build a racecar and it was rust free.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought my donor car from a local scrap yard with the agreement that they would take back what was left after I stripped it. They delivered it and picked up the carcass.

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lance, you get the award for best wheeler dealer so far...