Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Track and Post your Tranny Temps with IR Thermometer or a Gauge

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Track and Post your Tranny Temps with IR Thermometer or a Gauge

Hi Folks,
    I'm doing a survey of what tranny temps our cars are running on the track. Please, the next time you are on a track, when you come in from a session check your transmission in a few places with an IR Thermometer and report what you find here. Or use a temp sensor - trans gauge to report your readings. I've been having trans temp issues and I'm wondering if it's just me? I didn't notice it until I added a trans temp sensor/ gauge. I've confirmed it's reading with an IR thermometer.
    I know Dragonfly welded their trans at the PIR Enduro two years ago about 4 hours into the race. I'm wondering if some of the 5 speed failures we are seeing are not because of the weak Subaru 5 speed design, but rather overheating.
    This doesn't apply to street driven 818s, although it may be a good idea. But I can drive my 818 for an hour on country roads and have no problem with trans temp. This only appears on a race track where I hit 255 degrees in 15 minutes.

I am running a Cusco plate type LSD and Redline 75W90NS gear oil. I suspect the issue may be the Cusco LSD, so the next step will be swapping in a Quaife LSD.

The IR thermometer is useful for checking all around the engine too!

Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 06-22-2020 at 11:33 AM.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer