Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: A few CA equipment questions

Post Thanks / Like

A few CA equipment questions

I have a few questions about what's required to register a roadster in CA. If anyone has a document from the CHP (or the relevant agency) outlining what's required, that would be very helpful. My specific questions are:

- Do I need wipers? I would opt not to install them if they're not legally required.

- Do I need backup lights? I'd probably install them anyway, but I'm on the fence at the moment.

- Do I need DOT-approved safety harness?

I know that many folks have gotten away with not having these things in CA because the inspector didn't look for them, but my luck being what it is, I'm sure my inspector would look for them so I'd rather plan for them now and have them if they're legally required, rather than trying to retrofit them later.

With regard to the harness, I'm guessing the answer is no, because the FFR-supplied harness is not DOT-approved and I've never heard of anyone being turned away because of them. The only DOT-approved harness I'm even aware of is this one from Schroth:

https://www.schrothracing.com/item/p...tion-harnesses

If DOT approval is not a requirement, I'd prefer to use this cam-lock harness from Simpson (with the rotary buckle and 2" shoulder straps for a HANS device for track days):

https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/...amlock-harness

Thanks,
    John
    Last edited by JohnK; 06-26-2020 at 01:20 PM.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, John.

Wipers not needed.

I installed a removable backup light under the rear of the car just for inspection, then took it off. I don't know if they checked for it.

I got the car through the registration process using just the Simpson harnesses from the kit. Later on, I switched to Cipher:

https://cipherauto.com/products/cpa4...bolts-sfi-16-1

There are a lot of threads on CA registration. Look for SB100, have all your documentation ready, and if you have an influence on the DMV person on your first visit, try to convince them to use your FFR serial number as the VIN to get the voucher number from Sacramento. Will eliminate one extra visit to the DMV.

- m
    FFR9280RD MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, PS, PB, ABS, TC, CC, PATS, Summit heater, DIY wire diet, RT pedal/trunk/turn signal, FFR LCAs, FFR 3-link, 17x9 FR500s all around, Ford Magnetic Gray with custom Kandy Orange stripes (Ken's Custom Auto Body)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mark. I appreciate the reply. I agree, there are a lot of good threads on the CA SB100 process. I think I have a handle on the paperwork required. My main questions at this point were on the hardware items, as it wasn't completely clear to me whether folks have "gotten away" with not having items because the inspector didn't look for them, or whether they're not legally required.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I have a few questions about what's required to register a roadster in CA. If anyone has a document from the CHP (or the relevant agency) outlining what's required, that would be very helpful. My specific questions are:

- Do I need wipers? I would opt not to install them if they're not legally required.

- Do I need backup lights? I'd probably install them anyway, but I'm on the fence at the moment.

- Do I need DOT-approved safety harness?

I know that many folks have gotten away with not having these things in CA because the inspector didn't look for them, but my luck being what it is, I'm sure my inspector would look for them so I'd rather plan for them now and have them if they're legally required, rather than trying to retrofit them later.

With regard to the harness, I'm guessing the answer is no, because the FFR-supplied harness is not DOT-approved and I've never heard of anyone being turned away because of them. The only DOT-approved harness I'm even aware of is this one from Schroth:

https://www.schrothracing.com/item/p...tion-harnesses

If DOT approval is not a requirement, I'd prefer to use this cam-lock harness from Simpson (with the rotary buckle and 2" shoulder straps for a HANS device for track days):

https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/...amlock-harness

Thanks,
    John
    I don't have a document but my experience was wipers were not required, back up light was required and seat belts just had to be there.

Three inspections. CHP is first and they just wanted to make sure the parts were not stolen. With a receipt for the complete kit and a crate motor, their inspection shouldn't take more that 20 minutes and 15 of that will just be talking about how much they like your car. CHP didn't notice I didn't have a back up light.

2nd inspection was brakes and lights. Mine was done at a smog station near my house when I googled brake and light inspectors. He said I had to have the back up light. I put a 1" light that is under the car. It is a DOT light but he never bent over to look at it, just checked the box. I had to get some stick on trailer reflectors for the side of the car. I put them on my freshly painted car with the minimum tack double stick tape and pulled them off as soon as he took his photos.

3rd inspection was BAR station. He noted that I had a functioning CVS, disappeared into his office for 30 minutes and came out with the prized smog-exempt-for-life sticker.

I'm sure if you are building something from scratch or using wrecking yard parts, this process can get more difficult. This was amazingly simple considering nothing is simple in CA. I feel for the guys in TX and states that treat you like you are building production vehicles that need wipers and door ajar lights.

Thanks for the e-brake boot also.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Calif Vehicle Code requires both wipers and a backup lamp. However, the CHP only inspects the car for stolen components. Our car doesn’t have either and we haven’t had a problem yet.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue