BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  225
Likes Likes:  365

Thread: 460.465USMC's MK4 Build #9890 - V.I.N. for the Win and Spring Rumble

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips, Travis. I've been putting a small amount of grease on the threads per Mark's instructions. Good to know your fittings didn't need to be bottomed out. The Aeromotive video confirmed this as well. Appreciate very much the confirmation on both items!
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Lines Complete

At last my fuel lines are installed! I bought 3/8" stainless braided PFTE fuel lines (supply and return) from Breeze. It was definitely a learning curve working with the 06AN connectors and the stainless braid.

I also installed a 3/8" return fuel kit from Breeze. I wasn't excited about drilling a 9/16" hole in the top of the gas tank, but it turned out okay. I used blue painters tape inside the tank, just beneath the hole to try to collect as many metal chips as possible. But there were still a few escapees inside the tank. Vacuum with a narrow nozzle made quick work of the chips. It was a little challenging to hold the bulkhead connector against the top wall of tank from the inside with just two fingers. I only had to fish out the small o-ring once...not too bad for a guy with two left thumbs.

The parts I bought from Breeze came with Ham-Let Let-Lok connecters: one installed on the engine side of the fuel filter, and one on the 3/8" fuel rail on the motor. Installation seemed too easy. I watched a YouTube video just to make sure. Guess I got to hit the Easy button on that one. These connectors seem quite solid.

It took me a bit to learn how to assemble the 06AN connections to the stainless braided PFTE fuel lines. Stainless is not particularly fun to work with--get ready for your thumb to turn into a pin cushion! Between Breeze's instructions, YouTube videos, advice from Edwardb, and advice from Fman, I think (hope) the connectors are correctly installed.

My first step was to make a bracket for the Aeromotive pressure regulator. Following Edwardb's advice, I made the bracket so there would be a 1" gap for the Coyote harness to go behind it. It attaches to the bottom side of the 2" square tube where the firewall attaches. It just so happens I had this metal bracket in my goodie stash. [Editor's note: my goodie stash only contains hardware. Not to be confused with other types of stashes]. Miraculously, the existing holes in the scrap bracket I found matched the regulator perfectly. I just had to shape the half moon cut out with my bench grinder, than clean it up a bit with my Dremel.

The top bracket came with the Aeromotive pressure regulator.

Pressure regulator installed.

As far as routing, I followed the typical route:

Underneath the PS footbox. I added a piece of clear tube around the braided hose to protect it from contact/vibration.

Down the PS 4" chassis tube.

Up the PS 2" square vertical

Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Lines Complete (continued)

Attached to the diagonal cross support above the rear UCA, and headed toward the tank and filter. The Ham-let Let-lok adapter on the front of the fuel filter is partially visible.

And, connections to the fuel filter and return on the tank. I followed Mark's recommendation to go with the longer rubber hose in the unlikely scenario I need to drop the tank. This should make that task easier.

Close-up view of the return connection/adapter, and the pinched off 1/4" return line--using the recommended 3/8" return line instead.

Here's a close-up of the protective tube I slid on over the stainless braided line where it makes contact with the cross support tube under the PS floor.

It was good to complete this portion of the build. If I ever have the opportunity to try it again, I would like to try hard lines (Ni-Copp).

P.S. I forgot to mention I opened up the 3/8" ends on the fuel filter (both sides) and the 3/8" supply on the fuel pump. The manufacturers taper these ends, and by opening them up with a 19/64" drill bit I increased the openings 10% - 20%. Pretty substantial.
    Last edited by 460.465USMC; 05-09-2021 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Note re: 3/8" openings
    Chris

4. Likes Straversi liked this post