Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: How much garage space?

Post Thanks / Like

How much garage space?

Hi everyone, I've been following along and toying with the idea of building a roadster for years and I'm close to ready to take the plunge.

An elementary question: I don't have a very large garage. It's really a one car garage with about 20' of length, 15' width, and a 10' ceiling. The garage door tracks are 7' high. I'll have to store the parts elsewhere on site, likely in a shed.

Is this impossible to work with, or possible but really unpleasant to try this with that kind of limited space availability?

Sorry if this is a dumb question and thanks for the input. Just want to make sure I don't have a lift and kit arrive at my house and it quickly becomes apparent that there's no way we'll be able to build it!

Thanks,
    ST

Post Thanks / Like
    Stay organized. Keep a journal of where stuff is. You'll be surprised how much you can get done if you know where things are and stay organized.

Just my .02 cents.
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

Post Thanks / Like
    If you look at some of these build threads I'm amazed at how small some of these garages are. Obviously more space is nice but motivation will keep you going in the right direction. Once you get a rolling chassis things get much easier because you can move it around.

Post Thanks / Like
    You will almost certainly feel cramped at times, but you can certainly build the roadster in your garage.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    consider storing your body in the ceiling or make an elevated body buck on casters.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can certainly build in that - I built mine in a smaller space .
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    I stored my roadsters body outside on a buck all the time I was assembling the rest of it. It survived with no issues through the summer sun, and winter snows. 15' is plenty wide if you park it in the middle. The roadster even with the body on is only 14' long, so lots of room lengthwise too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    ST,

Welcome to the forum.

I think you have plenty of room in 20x15x10, especially if you build storage shelving and use a 4 post lift. You can use the lift to access high shelving.

The lift make life a lot easier, but is not required to build in a space that size.

I've built one in a 20x20x8 space. I'd love that extra 2' height:

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes, You Can Pull It Off With No Problem!
    Here is my massive shop so I think you will be A-Okay:
    https://youtu.be/IGYtX-3p7xk
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-25-2021 at 06:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It will be a bit aggravating but absolutely doable. I would work out a rope and pulley system to hang the body from the ceiling. A separate setup for the front and the rear. Put it right in the middle of the space so you can then use it to install and uninstall the body to the frame. The body goes onto the frame at the front first and then the rear is lowered so that is why I say two separate systems.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is all super helpful and very reassuring.

Now I just need to convince my wife of the wisdom of this whole project...

Post Thanks / Like
    I've always had the luxury of space but many others have done it in small 1 and 1 1/2 car garages. Heck, twenty plus years ago Ariel Ayubo built what became known as "the man in the box" car outside his apartment in the wooden shipping container it came in! Unless a tree falls on it the body can stay outside without ill effect.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been working in half of a two car. Not to far off from what you are describing. I have made is work. I keep the body on a off site storage as my HOA wouldn't allow the body to sit outside. The only issue is banging my head once and awhile on the bicycles that are hanging over head. Quckjack 5000 have also made it quite easy. I didn't realize how many times I would go up and down with the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a rolling body buck to build mine. It just takes a few minutes to roll it out of the way and back when you need more access to the chassis.

Kyle

20161106_173900_resized_1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Body outside on the ground as long as there is no snow load in your area. Tight space will make you tidy. I have big space = STUFF SPREAD "FROM HERE TO KINGDOM COME".... (betcha haven't heard that one in a while)...da Bat

16. Likes nucjd19 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered the complete kit and blue print engine at the same time. I put the engine crate on two furniture dollies so I could move around the garage. I found it to be the perfect work bench. I am 6’2” and it put the top of the box slightly at lwr chest height when I am standing. I prefer to worm standing up and it is easy to move around on the furniture dollies.

I also have the luxury of tall ceilings so I suspended my body from the ceiling using two kayak hoist purchased off of Amazon

Hope this helps (sorry for photos being rotated) . 99069483-A0FB-45F2-A826-FED78E87D4FD.jpg09DC4F34-4B60-4C7F-8664-08EBCBD2972C.jpg
    Mk IV 9968 complete kit, 3 Link, PS, 15” Halibrand, Wilwood Brakes
    Blue Print 347, TKO600

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...358#post446358