Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Driddell's Mark IV 427 Roadster Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Post Driddell's Mark IV 427 Roadster Build Thread

Hi everyone,

My name is Danny and I am very excited to be a part of the great Factory Five owner community. I live in the Oakland, CA area (anyone else?) and have watched this forum for years while I dreamed about this experience. I have a lot of enthusiasm for learning and the experience, but like some others, I am completely new at this type of work. After watching the amount of knowledge and help this community has added to others has given me the confidence to have a run at it myself. Thanks in advance to everyone that is willing to help me along the way, it is greatly appreciated, and needed .

After watching on the sidelines for years, a couple of weeks after my father passed away I decided to go for it to honor and keep my dad in mind, while sharing a new experience with my family and helpers Siena, Ryan, and wife YJ. I received my Complete Roadster kit on Saturday, August 29th. Here is my configuration…so far:

16613 Powder coated chassis Black, includes Powder coated Drivers side roll bar
    16794 - Headers: 351W stainless steel 4-port
    13083 - 302/351W Mounts
    16350 - 31 spline driveshaft for small 302/351W with Tremec TKO 500 or 600 transmission
    16213 - Leather Roadster Seats
    16799 - Power Steering Kit (requires pump and bracket)
    12066 - Standard Width Tubular Front Lower Control Arms
    14758 - 3-link deluxe rear suspension
    16004 - Factory Five Racing Vintage GPS Gauge Set
    14816 Heater-Defroster
    15549 Vintage Wiper Kit
    12469 Brake Duct Wire Mesh, preformed
    12453 Battery Cutoff Switch
    15158 - Roll Bar Grommets (grommets with trim rings and stainless steel hardware
    15659 - Assembled Side Louver set
    16590 - trunk gas strut
    16204 - standard 8.8 rear axle housing with 3-link
    15370 - 12.88 front wilwood brakes - red
    15358 - 12.19 Solid Axle Wilwood rear Brakes, Red Calipers, Drilled & Slotted
    34158 - hydraulic clutch master cylinder kit
    Standard dash with cutouts

Engine:

427 ford 490 HP/500 torque
    Dart 4 bolt main roller cam Block.
    Black intake assembly.
    Cobra Black 427 Valve covers.
    Cobra Black oval air cleaner.
    Black block. Black wires with red looms. Black MSD coil. Black MSD distributor cap. With electronic distributor.
    Holley Sniper electronic fuel injection.
    Tremec TKO 600 transmission.
    External Hydraulic Clutch fork actuator.
    Cvf custom Wraptor system with 160 amp alternator, Ps Pump and AC Idler for future AC installation.

Wheels & Tires (a bit non-traditional)
    Forgestar F14 Deep Concave 5X114.3 18X10 +20 Matte Black // Forgestar F14 Super Deep Concave 5X114.3 18X11 +12 Matte Black
    255/35/18 Yokohama ADVAN A052 // 315/30/18 Yokohama Advan A052

The delivery had its challenges, but we did get it to our house and I have worked through inventory, body removal, drawing on the alum, and other initial tasks. Starting to hit some of the real stuff now and am starting to hit some mini-walls that I will start confirming that I have done correctly on this forum. Thanks! Danny

image7.jpegimage8.jpegimage9.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Driddell; 09-06-2020 at 08:01 AM.

2. Likes Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations and welcome. You’ve definitely done your research. Looks like a great build plan. The F14s are good looking wheels. Can’t wait to follow along.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    You’ll get all the help you need here and then some. Congrats, looking forward to the build thread.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks GTBradley and Straversi, looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I am hitting my first area of concern and I am hoping to have someone confirm that I have these Moser Rear end and the Wilwood Brakes set up in the correct placement and directions. I was following the FFR build video for Wilwood and Moser rear end but the bracket is different on mine (and this is the only angle that seems to fit) than his which if giving me a different angle between the brakes and Axle than in the video. I have not fully bolted in everything as I am hoping to have you guys take a look before I lock it down. Here are some photos...

Also, the video says some Axles need the silver circle adapter between the axle and the brakes, does anyone know if my configuration needs it, or how I might confirm that? Also, the arrows on the rotor points towards the front of the car correct?

Thanks for any help you can give!

If I am looking at the silver metal in the center of the Moser unit, these are on the LEFT side:

IMG_0369.jpgIMG_0370.jpgIMG_0371.jpgIMG_0372.jpg

and these are from the RIGHT side:

IMG_0363.jpgIMG_0364.jpgIMG_0365.jpgIMG_0366.jpg

Danny

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Danny. I'd love to hear an update. I'm starting a cobra build and was thinking about going with Forgestar F14s as well.

Wes

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on your build, 427 is a great engine in these cars. Can't help you with the Moser rear (I went IRS), but I am sure someone will chime in. Looking forward to following your build. Have fun and enjoy the journey!

Here is a link to some more supplemental directions that may help you out during your build:

https://www.factoryfiveparts.com/instructions/
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

Post Thanks / Like
    I started my build in 2019 when my son was 12. the pic of your boy on the creeper brings me back as that is EXACTLY what my son would do when hanging out in the garage with me

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, Danny. It looks like you have a solid plan and a great support crew to help you out. And of course you have access to the most helpful crew on the forum to help you as well. If you haven't pulled the trigger already on a transmission and haven't looked at the TKX, I'd suggest taking a look at it as a possible alternative to the TKO 500 / 600. I don't know enough to have a preference, just thought you should be aware the option is out there.
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard! Great community in the Bay area as well as here in the Sacramento area!
    #10333 Complete Kit, Carbed 427w, TKX, IRS and many other upgrades

• Order Date: September 11, 2021 - 20th Anniversary of 9/11
    • Delivery Day: April 1, 2022 - April Fool's Day
    • First Start and Go-Kart: January 20th, 2023
    • Graduation Date: July 4th, 2023 - Independence Day!!
    • Legal Registration Date: October 4, 2023 - My Birthday!!

Visit my MKIV Build Thread (#10333)