Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Alabama registration?

Post Thanks / Like

Alabama registration?

Hello,

I'm thinking about ordering a complete 33 kit within the next 1-2 years. But, before I do, does anyone know about registering one in Alabama? I saw a FFR Cobra about 2 hours south of me, last year, at the Barber Historical Race, in Birmingham, that was registered, but couldn't find the owner to ask him what he had to do? I'll also email FF to see if they might now anything?

Thanks,
    Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Wasn't bad on my roadster. Basically you submit a builders affidavit to the state showing all receipts and such. They want to verify you haven't stolen parts and built a car out of them. Then you trailer it to the state driving inspector. Mine was in Montgomery. Im sure they have a couple around the state. He "inspects" the car and attaches the VIN plate. Then you can take it to your local dmv and register it.
    My inspection was a joke. Guy wanted to put it on his lift. I said the car was too low unless you have long ramps. He did not. He basically said well this looks awesome. Good enough or me, where do you want the VIN plate attached. Maybe some inspectors give it a harder look. I registered in 2017. Process may have changed.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Wasn't bad on my roadster. Basically you submit a builders affidavit to the state showing all receipts and such. They want to verify you haven't stolen parts and built a car out of them. Then you trailer it to the state driving inspector. Mine was in Montgomery. Im sure they have a couple around the state. He "inspects" the car and attaches the VIN plate. Then you can take it to your local dmv and register it.
    My inspection was a joke. Guy wanted to put it on his lift. I said the car was too low unless you have long ramps. He did not. He basically said well this looks awesome. Good enough or me, where do you want the VIN plate attached. Maybe some inspectors give it a harder look. I registered in 2017. Process may have changed.
    Thanks! Sounds like it could be a PITA, depending on who you get to inspect it? I've bought some cars out of state and when I went to get a tag for them, Huntsville DMV folks had to "inspect" them as well. It was a joke too. They walked out and looked at it and checked the VIN# and said, looks good. Haha!

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m not ready to register my Coupe yet, but from everything I’ve gathered it’s not too bad in Alabama. Pretty relaxed here compared to most states.

Pinging @Erik W. Treves - who has probably the most experience of anyone in the state of AL with registering FFRs.

BTW I am in the Huntsville area, and there are a couple others as well. Roadster, Coupes, and I saw a 33 Hot Rod at one of our local TAC autocross events back in 2018 or early 2019. After Covid, we need to have a meet and greet of all FFR owners in the region!
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    I’m not ready to register my Coupe yet, but from everything I’ve gathered it’s not too bad in Alabama. Pretty relaxed here compared to most states.

Pinging @Erik W. Treves - who has probably the most experience of anyone in the state of AL with registering FFRs.

BTW I am in the Huntsville area, and there are a couple others as well. Roadster, Coupes, and I saw a 33 Hot Rod at one of our local TAC autocross events back in 2018 or early 2019. After Covid, we need to have a meet and greet of all FFR owners in the region!
    Cool, thanks for the info! I really wanted to find all the drivetrain parts first, then buy the kit, but if registering was difficult, I was gonna scrap the whole idea of trying to build one. I'm on the TAC Facebook group and the auto-x track is just a few miles away from me, but I'm not into auto-x I've been there a couple of times to spectate, but never cared about running anything. This car will be more of a weekend street cruiser/occasional car show (if we'll ever have those again?).

I'm not worried about Covid stuff, as I've been working at my actually job, (not from home), ever since this mess hit Alabama... I'll shoot you a PM and we can talk there.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Mirage775; 08-14-2022 at 03:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage775 View Post
    Thanks! Sounds like it could be a PITA, depending on who you get to inspect it? I've bought some cars out of state and when I went to get a tag for them, Huntsville DMV folks had to "inspect" them as well. It was a joke too. They walked out and looked at it and checked the VIN# and said, looks good. Haha!
    This is definitely a different process than a VIN inspection. This is an actual state inspector. I actually established contact with my guy before I ordered the kit and then checked in with him every few months in an effort to grease the wheels a bit. He knew darn well by the time I showed up I had built the car in compliance with the motor vehicle code. He said he appreciated how I went about it vs people that just show up and expect him to sign off on whatever. So my inspection was quite easy but I think that had a lot to do with me kissing up a bit along the way.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

7. Likes Mirage775 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just got the VIN for my Roadster in March. I live in Madison outside Huntsville and would love the opportunity too for a FFR car get together. Car has not done any car events yet.

Process was relatively straight forward. Submit all paperwork, pay your taxes and wait until they can review and schedule inspection. I have a file with the contact person in Montgomery that does everything and I can walk you through the process. Took about 6 week until inspector showed up in my shop and watched me attach the ViN. For inspection he did a walk around and said anyone that puts as much time and money into a car project has done it right. For title it took about 5 months and a couple of calls, supposed due to the virus. Only hiccup was they titled it as a 2020 replica Cobra rather that a 1965 replica.

Registration was not until June. Only surprise there was I had to pay taxes from project purchase in 2019 and a late fee. Couple hundred $ not expected. Email me and we can swap phone numbers.
    2007 MK3 Roadster, Ford 302, TKO 500, IRS
    Cobra sold and ordered a Porsche that sank with the Felicity Ace- now 2 miles below the Atlantic
    Still no car- should have bought a top and kept the Cobra

9. Likes Mirage775 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottmillhouse View Post
    I just got the VIN for my Roadster in March. I live in Madison outside Huntsville and would love the opportunity too for a FFR car get together. Car has not done any car events yet.

Process was relatively straight forward. Submit all paperwork, pay your taxes and wait until they can review and schedule inspection. I have a file with the contact person in Montgomery that does everything and I can walk you through the process. Took about 6 week until inspector showed up in my shop and watched me attach the ViN. For inspection he did a walk around and said anyone that puts as much time and money into a car project has done it right. For title it took about 5 months and a couple of calls, supposed due to the virus. Only hiccup was they titled it as a 2020 replica Cobra rather that a 1965 replica.

Registration was not until June. Only surprise there was I had to pay taxes from project purchase in 2019 and a late fee. Couple hundred $ not expected. Email me and we can swap phone numbers.
    Hello,

I'm just now seeing your reply from almost 2 years ago... If you still have the names & numbers of the state people, I'd really appreciate it? I'm debating on building an FFR car or just buying something totally different, due to the registration process... I'd love to build a '33 Coupe, as long as I can fit in it?

I'll try to find your email, in case you don't get this reply?

Thanks,
    Jason