Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: Getting the garage ready

Post Thanks / Like

Getting the garage ready

Getting closer and closer. Step 1: save as much as possible and budget accordingly. Step 2: clean out the garage and get it ready for the build. Step 3: build my ultimate dream car. Step 4: drive the bergeebers out of it. I have officially started step 2 this week! Its finally happening.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes tbl100, rsw81 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do not know if you have enough ladders, I have seen it posted here that they are important for building a car.

You might need a couple more.

Keep the cooler out there, that is important too.

4. Likes Bronco Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Step 5. Repeat
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Step 6. Please get yourself a set of REAL jackstand pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully that fire extinguisher won't have to be used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fire extinguisher or cooler, that is a close call.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't believe that you are even thinking of building a car when you don't have enough ladders.

What are we supposed to do with these noobs?

Post Thanks / Like
    So hopefully that's a before picture, and not an after..

I see you have a nice set of sawhorses under the work bench. If they are heavy duty enough, they are great for resting the frame on, while you do brake and fuel lines, and other work early in the build. It puts the frame at a nice working height.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good afternoon jrohrig

I saw Rancho Cucamonga and jumped a bit. Moved from there 22 years ago to Missouri. NE of Foothill (excuse me, historic route 66) and Archibald on Teak Way. Grew up in So Cal in LaVerne and finally escaped.

The ladders are because land is so valuable out there that the building is all going up, not out. He probably has a 4 or 5 story house and needs the ladders to get to the front door.

All joking aside the group on this forum will be invaluable to you and your build. Keep the cooler full and you will be at step 4 before you know it. Best of luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey AC Bill, looks great. How did you get the frame on/off the saw horses?

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha. Let me see if I can explain the ladders... ah, nevermind. It's more fun to leave it ambiguous.
    The garage has been more like a storage room for the last 10 years. Earlier this year I was able to build a large shed in the backyard and relocate most of the stuff that was in the garage. I was also able donate some other stuff and clear out some old cabinets. The garage build plan now is to add some attic ventilation to deal with the 100 degree summer's, add drywall to the ceiling, room off the water heater and furnace, and add some new cabinets and a work bench. I'll post an after photo in the next week or so hopefully. (Fingers crossed)

14. Likes Quincy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Building a car is like climbing a ladder - take it one step at a time. Think you're ready.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

16. Likes rsw81 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    One thing I did was to cover the work surface on my shop bench with stainless steel.

The smooth surface does not trap dirt/grit/filings and it's so easy to clean.

A squirt of brake cleaner and scotchbrite pad scrub down followed by a wipe with a clean rag and it's like new and ready for the next task.

And don't forget to improve your lighting. Working in the dark sucks and leads to mistakes.

18. Likes nucjd19 liked this post

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’m down in San Diego. Let me know if you need/want help with anything. I’d be happy to come up to lend a hand.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by narly1 View Post
    One thing I did was to cover the work surface on my shop bench with stainless steel.

The smooth surface does not trap dirt/grit/filings and it's so easy to clean.

A squirt of brake cleaner and scotchbrite pad scrub down followed by a wipe with a clean rag and it's like new and ready for the next task.

And don't forget to improve your lighting. Working in the dark sucks and leads to mistakes.
    +1 I nailed on a sheet of aluminum and it's lasted.. well, let me think.. 30 years?
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I got lucky, oldest boy has a part time job at a place that makes cladding panels for buildings. I got my piece of stainless in exchange for a case of beer and a pizza.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    I’m down in San Diego. Let me know if you need/want help with anything. I’d be happy to come up to lend a hand.

Ray
    Awesome! I appreciate that Ray. My plan is to take the build class early next year and purchase the kit that Summer.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrohrig View Post
    Awesome! I appreciate that Ray. My plan is to take the build class early next year and purchase the kit that Summer.
    Send me an email if you'd like. I have several files for different build items that you might find useful.

Ray

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the fun. I remember when I ordered my kit, I then had about 6 weeks to get my garage ready. Then I found another kit to buy and only had one week to get the garage ready... it was fun.. and then it was FUN!!!

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    welcome to the madness!!

Post Thanks / Like
    jrohrig, our shop is just one town West of you. If you'd like to stop in and see completed or under construction Factory 5 cars let me know and we can arrange a shop visit.

Frank

You can check out our current builds here: https://www.facebook.com/IE427-891650054204648/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by richtersand View Post
    Hey AC Bill, looks great. How did you get the frame on/off the saw horses?
    I used two engine hoists, one at each end. Much easier then trying to use jacks, and lowering it down in stages, which would have been necessary.

The frame sat on those sawhorses, from the day I got it, till it could finally stand on it's own four wheels. I was such a proud father that day..lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Progress... drywall and paint is mostly done. Ill be doing the floors and new cabinets next

Screenshot_20200830-113638_Gallery.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duster View Post
    Good afternoon jrohrig

I saw Rancho Cucamonga and jumped a bit. Moved from there 22 years ago to Missouri. NE of Foothill (excuse me, historic route 66) and Archibald on Teak Way. Grew up in So Cal in LaVerne and finally escaped.

The ladders are because land is so valuable out there that the building is all going up, not out. He probably has a 4 or 5 story house and needs the ladders to get to the front door.

All joking aside the group on this forum will be invaluable to you and your build. Keep the cooler full and you will be at step 4 before you know it. Best of luck!
    Thanks Duster! yeah, we moved here 10 years ago and so far its been a great place to raise a family. (all things considered) I will definitely keep the cooler full!

Post Thanks / Like
    Floor is done! Next will be the cabinets on the back wall.

31. Likes rsw81 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That looks so good...I know you're pump about it so keep hammering down
    One thing that you may consider are shelves to hold components up high until needed

Jet

Post Thanks / Like
    Floor looks great. Don't mind me but I would have waited until the build was done before making the floor that pretty. It may take a beating during the build.

I got lucky and was able to coat my two car garage in epoxy for about $120. 10 years later and still holding up really well. Just not as pretty as yours.

F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    CDXXVII: that epoxy will last a lifetime though and looks fine by me

Post Thanks / Like
    Back cabinets in

36. Likes GTBradley liked this post

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    You do know that it’s tradition to host a little welcome party when the car finally arrives......

Ray
    Last edited by Ray; 09-15-2020 at 05:45 PM.

Cobra Doc
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good! Always good to get the garage cleaned up and organized before the massive load of boxes come in. Word of advise is to keep the boxes organized. Even if only a few items are left, keep them in the numbered boxes so you know where to find them from your inventory list. Nothing more frustrating than spending an hour hunting for the little part you need for the build instead of actually building!

And welcome! This forum is amazing and such a huge source of information. Be careful not to fall down the rabbit hole of deviating from the build too much. Pick your deviations carefully or it can get out of hand very quickly.
    - Rob

MkIV Roadster, Complete Kit #9624, Coyote 5.0, TKO600, IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Halibrand Wheels
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...kIV-Bld-Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Garage is done!

Next, have to keep saving! Should be ready for the kit next Summer
    Last edited by jrohrig; 10-04-2020 at 09:26 PM.

40. Likes RBachman, RSCamaro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That garage looks great! Especially the floors - mind if I ask what product you used for the floors? I'm at roughly the same stage as you and getting my garage ready before ordering the kit next year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremustang View Post
    That garage looks great! Especially the floors - mind if I ask what product you used for the floors? I'm at roughly the same stage as you and getting my garage ready before ordering the kit next year.
    Racedeck. I like the floor so far. Mostly a great product. Couple minor things prevent them from being perfect: The white tiles are very hard to keep clean. I like the look so I guess its worth it. Secondly, they aren't as durable as I though. I spilled some stucco mix on them, and had to kinda chisel it off. It came off and cleaned up fine, but I scratched the tile pretty bad. It makes sense, they are just plastic.
    Last edited by jrohrig; 09-30-2020 at 10:25 AM.

43. Thanks jeremustang thanked for this post