Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: F9 Hypercar Update - Fall 2020

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

F9 Hypercar Update - Fall 2020

Fall has arrived in New England, and despite the many challenges of this year and COVID-19, work has progressed steadily on the F9R Hypercar program. Here is an update:

We have registered the F9, F9R, and F9E trademarks, and ensured that the IP of this exciting new design is protected as an all-new FFR design. Click here to watch the video update.

As far as the alpha prototype car, we did a 20 minute Facebook Live video with full details of the project and where we are going.

So much work has been accomplished! Following wind tunnel testing in late July, and track testing immediately after that, the team made the difficult decision to redesign the front end of the car to produce more down force and to make it look better.

Additionally, mold irregularities were revealed when the 1st body arrived and those mold sections have been reworked and replaced.

Phil Frank and FFR’s design team reworked the front nose of the F9.

The new design carbon fiber nose, and two (2) brand new carbon fiber bodies are on their way to our race shop. Before the year end, we will have tested the new body and the new nose design, and made a decision about production dates in 2021.

Everyone wants to know pricing and that is still up in the air as the bill of materials has not been finalized owing to the carbon fiber body costing. The design goal required a paint free carbon fiber body and we don’t want to relax that standard.

Concurrently we are working on the interior of the car and making solid progress. The alpha prototype had only a race pack gauge set up and bare aluminum interior.

We should have more details by the end of the year on the exciting F9R hyper car project.

Click here to read our F9 update from March 2020.
    Last edited by Dave Smith; 10-09-2020 at 12:22 PM.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

2. Thanks Papa, FF33rod, David Hodgkins, Jetfuel thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dave and the entire F9 development team, This thing is looking awesome! I really like where you are going with it.
    Last edited by Papa; 10-09-2020 at 12:35 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    ******* sick! I'll take 2

I love how you were able to reshape that nose to make what seems to be an additional "splitter" but for the additional flow of air up and around the hood. Can't wait to see more! nothing is more slippery than air

Post Thanks / Like
    You cannot believe how big a grin that this car gives me (and this coming from someone who suffers from extreme depression.) This is an amazing project and I look forward to the updates.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This Car Is Truly Art!

Post Thanks / Like
    Literally holding off on a Cobra, and joined the forum just to keep up on updates on this car. Looking forward to ordering one when they come available. Really hoping the project isn't scrapped!

8. Thanks David Hodgkins thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stunning!
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow ! Just Wow! An American Automotive Design Masterpiece on it's own merits and even better because almost anyone will be able to build one themselves. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    In my best Austin Powers voice...

"GRRR! You SEXY BEAST!!!"
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not a hypercar guy but I do recognize that the technology developed and lessons learned with the F9 have the potential to "trickle down" into everything else FFR does.

"Everything relates to everything."

Post Thanks / Like
    Has there been any recent updates? Haven't seen anything really since their last Facebook live a month ago. Curious if the new body came out as they were hoping while fixing the mold imperfections.
    Last edited by HerculezJT; 11-17-2020 at 10:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HerculezJT View Post
    Has there been any recent updates? Haven't seen anything really since their last Facebook live a month ago. Curious if the new body came out as they were hoping while fixing the mold imperfections.
    There was a Facebook live update today with brief mention of the F9. Short summary I gathered is that the body still has some issues which might require a new mold. The project will probably slow down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A bit of a disappointment in that regard but then again Dave is SLAMMING FFR with some Great Upgrades!

Regarding the body mold, I'd bet that will add 3-4 months to the dev process. The new body is a great improvement, but shadows are still visible in the video. No idea what it looks like in real life...

Can't wait to see the new nose. Hopefully images of that will be released to whet out appetite while we wait for the next iteration...

EDIT: I'm not saying that body isn't pretty freakin awesome. Dave's standards for the body quality are to be commended.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boostaddict View Post
    There was a Facebook live update today with brief mention of the F9. Short summary I gathered is that the body still has some issues which might require a new mold. The project will probably slow down.
    Yea i got off work and saw that there was a video and immediately watched it, somewhat disappointed, but glad Dave is taking the time needed and trying to come out with a respectable product.

I am interested to see the R&D Area, i know Dave mentioned in his previous videos something about an 818 with an LS maybe. Hope to see something cool, would like to see a Gen 3 GTM, but with everything else going on, thats a lot

Post Thanks / Like
    Since Dave went ahead and released the info in the video...

https://www.facebook.com/factoryfive...8938354863617/

I just want to say how proud we are to be working with FFR on the new F9R project. We have been speaking with Dave since before 2019 about this new car, but really kept quiet because we did not have a time line, and then 2020 happened.

2021 will be a transition year and we will still be running the FFR PDG GTM but also running the FFR F9R in select events.

Thanks to Dave Smith and FFR for all the support throughout the years and here's to hoping we can continue to be successful with the new F9R!!
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

18. Likes David Hodgkins, Geoff H liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really like how this the F9 is looking. I'm just finishing up my first GTM build and I'd like to build one of these next. I've been fantasizing about a flat plane crank Ford VooDoo (literally just for the noise) hooked to a TCI 6x 4L80e with paddle shifters. Will an auto-trans fit in this frame or manual only? I know they are much bigger and bulkier so I'm guessing that will be a challenge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Remember that the Voodoo comes with serious vibration issues. While the Voodoo sounds like it would make for a fun and unique build, the details of doing it are not easy. Given the cost, a Ford M-6007-A52XS Aluminator would be fun, basically a Coyote on steroids. With 580HP and 445 ftlbs of torque, more power and torque than a Voodoo or Coyote.

A owner of NPD is putting a Voodoo in a vintage Mustang, still looking for the details on how he got it done. It was supposed to be ready for SEMA 2020, should be there in 2021.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea I know you can't achieve secondary balance with a flat plane...but I'm cool with some vibrations to get the sound. I definitely wouldn't have solid motor mounts. If I go cross plane I'd go with an ls just because I'm more familiar with them.