Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: PAutomatic / Manu-matic Transmission Solution with Paddle Shifters

Post Thanks / Like

PAutomatic / Manu-matic Transmission Solution with Paddle Shifters

Let me preface this by stating that I regularly track my 2017 BMW M3 - and I'm obsessed with the DCT paddles. I've driven other manual //M cars in the past, and as sacrilegious as it sounds, the auto DCT has stolen my heart permanently.

Goal: (Automatic with driver-selected gears via paddles or gear-shift) Track-Only Type 65 Coupe-R

What I'm looking to resolve before I put in a buy for a Coupe-R is which transmission I should go with that will fit the frame and have manual mode gear selection options. I'm not looking to drop a DCT of any sort into the frame, as I imagine the fab-work would be preposterous and I'm not really looking to mate a DCT to any of the supported Ford engine listings. I saw recently that FP may sell their GT500's 5.2 Predator with its DCT, but I imagine it'll cost a small fortune.

So I've come to y'all - any input on automatic transmissions that fit (or require minimal frame modification) the Coupe-R (that fit the allowed Ford motor line-up) that also allows for manual drive modes via paddles?

I've only been able to find two real solutions:

• a TCI 6X 6 Speed that's based on the GM 4L80E mated to a Ford small block (can't find info on which engines it actually mates to so if y'all have any of that I'd love it) > pair with the TCI EZ-TCU controller > use the TCI Paddle Kit.
    • a 6R80 mated to any of the Ford small-blocks > use something like the US Shift Quick 6 which supports "Manutronic Push-Button / Paddle /H-Gate Shifting > find a compatible paddle shifter kit that fits my selected wheel (something like the PCS Paddles) or if paddles are impossible, a Lokar Automatic Electronic Shifter that allows both 'automatic driving' and 'sport mode (i.e. user-controlled shifting)'

I know this is a little out there, I've combed both the forums for some answers and only came across a few mentions of people using autos in a manual/automatic setting. I'm incredibly capable when it comes to all of the technical and wiring aspects of a kit car project like this, but I have next to no experience with transmission and engine selection and mating.

Looking forward to seeing what y'all think - excited to put my engineering degree to work on something of this caliber.
    Last edited by bspaulsen; 11-20-2020 at 03:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure how large this is or if it is even close to a size you could use:

https://www.tremec.com/anexos/TREMEC_TR-9070.pdf

Edit: Doesn't look like it's available in the aftermarket yet.
    Last edited by Papa; 11-20-2020 at 04:52 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

3. Likes NAZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found this video that may also interest you:

These guys have a BMW DCT 7-Speed in a Mustang, so it's definitely doable.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I found this video that may also interest you:

These guys have a BMW DCT 7-Speed in a Mustang, so it's definitely doable.
    Papa this sounds like a good candidate for the F9

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bspaulsen View Post
    Goal: (Automatic with driver-selected gears via paddles or gear-shift) Track-Only Type 65 Coupe-R

I've only been able to find two real solutions:

• a TCI 6X 6 Speed that's based on the GM 4L80E mated to a Ford small block (can't find info on which engines it actually mates to so if y'all have any of that I'd love it) > pair with the TCI EZ-TCU controller > use the TCI Paddle Kit.
    Here is an easy solution:

Join Forces With The Dark Side & Put That TCI It Behind An LS-3 or Stroker SBC.

That's what I would do if I liked paddle shifting instead of moving that pesky shifter around while pushing Da-Clutch.
    If I can stuff a ZF S6-40 in front of a Dana 44 Rear in a MK-4 Roadster, then you can easily pull off a Paddle Shifted Dark Side Daytona.

https://www.factoryfive.com/whats-ne...-mk4-roadster/

If you want that LS-3 to favor the look of a Ford, then buy this engine and put some generic valve covers on it.
    You can say it is a NASCAR MILL that has been adapted to your Daytona and 95% of the Ford Fans won't catch it.

https://paceperformance.com/LS3-533-...70413-CHX.html

What about the other 5%, well those guys are Factory Five Family Members which can seldom be fooled.
    They are the guys who truly understand the concept of built not bought.

Good Luck From The Dark Dart Side!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-20-2020 at 09:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Here is an easy solution:

Join Forces With The Dark Side & Put That TCI It Behind An LS-3 or Stroker SBC.
    I'm not sure I follow - (if I knew anything about Ford engines, I know even less about LS-swaps.) I imagine you mean I should mate an LS3 with a 4L60E/4L70E/4L80E / 6L80E or something, and get a TCI paddle kit and TCI EZ-TCU? Do LS3's mount up easily to the 65 chassis? Thanks for the quick responses guys!
    Last edited by bspaulsen; 11-20-2020 at 10:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes, the LS platform is FINALLY supported by Factory-5 in the Daytona Type-65 Coupes, MK-4, and FIA Roadsters.

https://www.factoryfive.com/order-a-...-complete-kit/

It took them a long time to embrace the LS Power from the Dark Side!

Note:.. They DO NOT support the SBC or BBC in either the Daytona or Roadster platforms.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-20-2020 at 10:51 PM.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting project and while I think the Type 65 is a great looking design, don't dismiss the new F9 as perhaps a suitable candidate for a DCT transplant. One thing to keep in mind, when you go off the reservation with modifications the cost and difficulty increases exponentially. You will have to design / engineer your way around fitment and incompatibility issues most everyday of your build. Having an engineering background certainly helps but you will also need fabrication and welding support depending on what your goals are.

Keep us posted on your progress. Where are you located?
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm located out in SoCal near LA. That's what I'm struggling with is finding a combination of an engine from BluePrint Engines that will bolt up easily along with a tranny that will take as little modification as possible to the chassis.

I'm actually starting to like the LS3 idea, I didn't even think to look around there. The TCI 6 speed automatic is in a 4L80E case (32.17 inches versus a 6R80 which is 26.625) From what I gather, the 6R80 fits with almost no modification - wondering how much of a headache the beefier 4L80E would be to fit, doesn't turn up any results in the forums unfortunately.

Has anyone fit a 4L80E or something of comparable size? Looks like a T5 is 31.6 and a TKO is 31; doesn't seem to be too impossible assuming width isn't a huge difference..

BluePrint has a nice LS376 - as long as it isn't too tall. Assuming it has no issues mating with a 4L80E (does it? Can't find a straight answer in the GM catalogs as they recommend 4L75's and whatnot), I'd be able to keep all the transmission controls under one brand (TCI 6X Tranny, TCI Transmission Control, TCI Paddles), which would be fantastic.
    Last edited by bspaulsen; 11-21-2020 at 02:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Try reaching out to Pace Performance.

https://paceperformance.com/

They sell a ton of GM and other performance parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 6R80 is huge and cannot imagine it is smaller than the 4L80E, I know as I am putting one into a 70 Mach 1. The paddle shift controls are very simple and the Ford Performance controls pack for the 2nd Gen Coyote supports the paddle shift function. In my case, I am using the Lokar sport shifter for the 6R80. As I understand it the 6R80 is a very robust transmission that can be rebuilt to handle big HP if necessary.
    Ford developed the follow on 10R80 in conjunction with GM as they use it too. So question to ask would be if the FP supports the 3rd Gen Coyote with the 10R80, I believe they do. GM may support a LS3 and the 10R80, something worth looking into.
    When I looked at aftermarket paddle shift systems they were very expensive, so I went with the Lokar shifter. I will be interested to see what you decide to use as your solution.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    Reached out to a few companies (Pace, TCI, and BluePrint to name a few) about compatibility and sizing, will edit when a definitive answer is given. Appreciate your guys'/gals' help.

Definitely leaning toward an LS376 from BluePrint, as I like the front-mounted throttle body / intake design as opposed to the top-mounted air cleaner of the Fords minus the Coyote. Not to mention there are some really attractive, low-profile coil and plenum covers.
    Also likely that if not an LS3, I'd go with a Gen 3 Coyote.
    Going to pair with a TCI 6X Six Speed with a TCI EZ Transmission Control Unit and the TCI paddle kit - I'm using the dimensions of the Tremtec TKO as a length/height/width standard.
    There is a chance, assuming TCI confirms that their 6X is PNP with a Gen2 or Gen3 Coyote that I may go that route with the full TCI setup, as their intake sys is similar to the LS3.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_C View Post
    Ford developed the follow on 10R80 in conjunction with GM as they use it too. So question to ask would be if the FP supports the 3rd Gen Coyote with the 10R80, I believe they do. GM may support a LS3 and the 10R80, something worth looking into.
    I did temporarily look into the 6R80 and 10R80 systems, but I'm a little skeptical of the controllers I'd have to use with them, I reached out to US Shift as well. As for the 10R80, I'm sure it'd be a ton of fun to drive in plain auto, but paddling through 9 of the 10 gears sounds like quite an interesting track experience - though if I were able to find a transmission controller that autoshifts down for me so I only shift up, 10 would offer a lot of viability.
    Last edited by bspaulsen; 11-30-2020 at 05:46 PM.