BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  35
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HUGE MISTAKE Ford Explorer. Going in a different direction...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    STILL at the dealer....

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Have a good loaner from them?
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceGuyEddie View Post
    Even though it sucks, I enjoyed reading the valuable testimonies here.

I am surprised the company that makes our beloved Coyote 5.0 would also make such a POS.
    Eddie: Engine guys are typically enthusiasts, production is simply pushing product down the line and out the door.

It is sad that David has to go through this kind of frustration with a new vehicle. We buy new vehicles with the expectation of reliability for at least several years after purchase.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds about right . . . "the dealer said it was a wire shorting out. Now they say the compressor is bad" FORD's are known for one part will ALWAYS take out the other parts it's connected to.

Had a spark plug go bad on a Taurus I owned, that took out the coil pack due to overloaded current draw trying to fire a bad plug, which took out the catalytic converter because the mixture was too rich due to no spark, which plugged up the exhaust manifolds to a point that they couldn't be repaired, needed to be replaced completely. AND because it was a EFI 6 cylinder, both sides needed to be done because of unequal pressures side-to-side (exhaust-wise). Cost me $5K to fix that car, sold it immediately after it would run more than 10 minutes without throwing codes.

I feel your pain David . . . You might want to "suggest" that you need to speak to the District Service Rep if they don'y make it right in a timely manner.

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 12-29-2020 at 12:55 PM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The current status is that the compressor they ordered did not work they have now replaced the computer also and it is not working correctly. They’ve had the car for two weeks now. At 30 days it’ll be declared a lemon and I can walk away from this piece of ****.

I have not received one call from the dealer. I had to walk into the dealership this morning to find out what the status is.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    It came with a non working ac system. First the dealer said it was a wire shorting out. Now they say the compressor is bad and a new part is on order.
    So is that strike 1 and 2?
    #8869 Delivered 5/11/2016 Traditional donor build using 1994 Mustang

Post Thanks / Like
    The current status is that the compressor they ordered did not work they have now replaced the computer also and it is not working correctly. They’ve had the car for two weeks now. At 30 days it’ll be declared a lemon and I can walk away from this piece of ****.

I have not received one call from the dealer. I had to walk into the dealership this morning to find out what the status is.
    Routing for ya that the clock will run out before they can figure out the issue.

Sounds like the AC compressor was not the problem. On my Coyote, only two wires to the AC compressor. Seems like the dealer techs have lost the art of troubleshooting, they just replace parts and "hope" for the best. I mean how hard is it to connect a voltmeter and see if the voltage changes at the compressor.

Piss poor customer service to not keep you updated on the progress.

Did you ever get in touch with the Ford Regional Rep? It would be interesting to hear their position. Are they providing a loaner while the car is being repaired?
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like

This really sucks and I feel bad for you. I'm presuming from this post that it would be your preference at this point to walk away from the car. If that's the case, than I wouldn't call them any more. You know the old saying, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease?" You want to be the quiet wheel right now and chances are they will forget all about your car, two more weeks will lapse, and you'll be rid of it. The more you check on it, the more likely it is that they will actually claim to have "fixed it" on day 30, and you'll then have to go through another round of this to get rid of that POS.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may not be the only one with this problem ...

My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    And another:

And a couple of articles:

https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...incoln-aviator

https://tflcar.com/2019/09/report-20...ay-deliveries/

Looks like Ford (Lincoln) may already be buying back 2020 Aviators:

https://www.torquenews.com/3769/ford...20-aviator-suv
    Last edited by Papa; 12-31-2020 at 06:02 PM.

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got mine back. loaner was a 2019 Mitsubishi Eclipse Crossover, badly designed and cheap, just an FYI. Said they did an update tp fix screen, guess wht this morning did not work and since the braking problem did not happen to them, its ok. Next time brake goes, for file lemon law

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been 2 weeks, so David what's happening?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    A 2021 Ford Expedition King Ranch just became a part of my family. I hope it's not THAT close a cousin to the Explorer. I must say this thread came into mind, but the decision was not fully mine. It's a lease, but still...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Eddie the platforms are different. I don't know of any issues relating to the Expedition.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok Spoke to soon driveing home and tach revved all the way and car didnt move. I got it back today with a NEW transmission.

16. Thanks David Hodgkins thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by first time builder View Post
    Ok Spoke to soon driveing home and tach revved all the way and car didnt move. I got it back today with a NEW transmission.
    Ugh. Ya know, it would be interesting to run the numbers to see if quality control has fallen across the industry due to Covid.

So... Update.

Got a call from the dealer service manager today. He said I should call Ford and get a CAS number to begin the buyback process. Turns out I'm lucky here because I called Ford when this whole fiasco started - 2 days after the deal was made - and there was already a "case worker" assigned and I already had that number, which I passed along. I didn't speak with "my guy" at Ford but the person who helped me said he was scheduled to call me Tuesday.

At this point I'm starting to feel cautiously optimistic. But that's kinda' my nature anyway. Hoping for the best!

18. Likes mburger, DSR-3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck, Dave. I hope Ford buys it back and you can move on.

20. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    These are the links I send my friends that every now and then try to get me to buy a Ford. I remind them of
    F=Fix
    O=Or
    R=Repair
    D=Daily

LOL. Sorry to hear about your problems.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did they make you keep up on the monthly lease payments all this time?

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by merim123 View Post
    These are the links I send my friends that every now and then try to get me to buy a Ford. I remind them of
    F=Fix
    O=Or
    R=Repair
    D=Daily

LOL. Sorry to hear about your problems.
    F=Found
    O=On
    R=Road
    D=Dead

I'm a Ford fan, and they have addressed their quality issues from the 80's which led to such acronyms, but it appears they have some issues today... Sad because my wife wants an Explorer ST and I was ready to buy, but now I'm reconsidering.
    Last edited by Traveller; 01-08-2021 at 09:21 PM.
    MK4 Complete Kit #9673 | Ordered: 08/07/2019 | Pickup: 08/24/2019
    Gen 2 Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, 18" Halibrands, Kirkey Vintage Race Seats, Gas-N Headers and Pipes
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...IRS-Build-9673

Post Thanks / Like
    The first and only Ford I ever owned was a F-250 King Ranch, and it was taken back on a Lemon Law for what should have been easy repairs. This and issues with other brands caused me to give up on most "modern" American factory cars a while ago. I had quality issues with nearly every one I've owned and that's a lot of cars.
    Last edited by RBachman; 01-15-2021 at 07:44 AM.
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank god for the lemon law. My new expedition is as good as any car I have had so far. No complaints. Smooth, power, love the eco boost.

Post Thanks / Like

Who's fault is that?

We lease one vehicle every 3 years as a commuter, primarily for my wife.

Day before yesterday I leased a 2020 Ford Explorer XLT.

I made a HUGE MISTAKE getting this POS Ford.

• No AC.
    • A random collision alert sounded at a stop light.
    • The transmission is unbearable.

Cali is a no-cooling-off period state. Once it's off the lot there is no unwinding.

I think I'll stick an LS in the F9.
    Well, it's hard to feel sorry for you if you didn't pay attention to what you were leasing! So because you were asleep at the wheel, the car is a piece of ****??? Some how, I just don't feel sorry for you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well.
    Ok then.
    Noted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well.
    Ok then.
    Noted.
    Dave, I hope you learned your lesson. I personally check the DOT numbers of every tire, the A/C system pressure, the radio presets, the speakers to ensure they are in phase, the cruise control at each MPH, each step of the intermittent wipers, the turn signal rate both left AND right), the headlight light output and aligning, the wheel alignment, the oil and transmission fluid levels, the lug nut torque, and the head bolt torque of each car that I buy.

Actually, I do that before each test drive. Really pisses the salesman off.
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

29. Likes David Hodgkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that seems pretty harsh. I know there is such a thing as buyer beware, but I would expect a 2020 vehicle from dealer should be ready to go and have everything working properly. Years ago when I worked at a ford dealer, we did an extensive PDI on it before it ever hit the lot. If something was missed and not working, it should have been taken care of in a timely manner - I guess the dealer doesn't rely on repeat customers!

I think David has been more than patient with them- I know some people that would have driven it through the showroom window by now.

Anyway, just my 2- cents worth.

Thanks John

31. Likes Alan_C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JAE View Post
    ../I think David has been more than patient with them- I know some people that would have driven it through the showroom window by now.

/..
    That would be pretty hard, they've had the vehicle since December 15.

I'm passing the 28 day threshold, and missed a call from Ford yesterday. I got a text from the service rep that the dealer GM is calling me tomorrow.

We'll see what happens in the next day or two. I think we're getting down to crunch time.

33. Likes DSR-3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Andrew View Post
    Well, it's hard to feel sorry for you if you didn't pay attention to what you were leasing! So because you were asleep at the wheel, the car is a piece of ****??? Some how, I just don't feel sorry for you!
    So many keyboard heroes nowadays.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Which dealer, David?
    FFR #6240 Delivered 8-2-07:
    Build started (after Mustang project finished) in October '07. First start 11/16/08 13:08 First Go Kart 11/30 15:33 Body on #1 1/11/08 11:40 First Shakedown Drive 3/1/09 13:30 500 Miles as of 4/5/09 at 11:00 1000 miles 5/2/09 07:00 Delivered to new owner 6/28/09 17:00
    Bought back 12/18/16 12:45

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LAPick View Post
    Which dealer, David?
    Tuttle-Click Ford, Irvine. Down the street from your old digs!

Just got off the phone with Ford. We contacted the dealer and got status. Currently they are waiting on parts with no indication from Ford when they will arrive.

We filled out the template for the buyback request. Now I have to wait up to 10 business days before Ford will approve or deny. We added all pertinent info to the request to they should have a full picture of the issue, the status and what it "should" take to fix the car.

When we reach the 15th the car will have been out of service for 30 days during the first 18,000 miles, which in California is described as one of the triggers of the lemon law. I'm hopeful that Ford will make the right decision.

The Ford rep also indicated that at some point she will put in a request to have my 2 payments reversed since the car has been out of service the whole time.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got off the phone with Ford. We contacted the dealer and got status. Currently they are waiting on parts with no indication from Ford when they will arrive.

We filled out the template for the buyback request. Now I have to wait up to 10 business days before Ford will approve or deny. We added all pertinent info to the request to they should have a full picture of the issue, the status and what it "should" take to fix the car.

When we reach the 15th the car will have been out of service for 30 days during the first 18,000 miles, which in California is described as one of the triggers of the lemon law. I'm hopeful that Ford will make the right decision.

The Ford rep also indicated that at some point she will put in a request to have my 2 payments reversed since the car has been out of service the whole time.

Sounds promising, Dave. Not sure if you plan to buy something else if this all works out for you, but I'll point to the Lexus RX350 if you want a really nice car that will see the dealer for regular service and not much else, and always with a courtesy loaner. Look closely at the lease turn-in CPO cars. Fantastic warranty for low mileage cars that are nearly new, or lease a new one! They are beautiful to drive. My wife has a 2019 that is fully optioned, including ice-cold A/C!

Dave

38. Thanks David Hodgkins thanked for this post
    Likes David Hodgkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That was my guess. Bought my second Explorer there in 2002. They haven't seen me since. Got my '17 at Santa Margarita - MUCH better experience. Oh, all three of my Explorers have been perfectly reliable (until #2 split the plastic radiator tank at 240,000 miles and the wife didn't pull over right away)
    FFR #6240 Delivered 8-2-07:
    Build started (after Mustang project finished) in October '07. First start 11/16/08 13:08 First Go Kart 11/30 15:33 Body on #1 1/11/08 11:40 First Shakedown Drive 3/1/09 13:30 500 Miles as of 4/5/09 at 11:00 1000 miles 5/2/09 07:00 Delivered to new owner 6/28/09 17:00
    Bought back 12/18/16 12:45

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The Dealer GM called yesterday. He assured me he is onboard with the buyback and is confident Ford will make the right decision. He also said the paperwork could take a while as there seems to be quite a backlog. He assured me he would make sure there would be no out-of-pocket expense to me.

Good to hear.

So we continue to wait. Of course my wife has already moved on the see what else is in the market. I'll post later what she likes and doesn't. Me? I'm in no hurry at all.

I'll have to make sure to do a better job this time to gain Mr. Andrew's empathy should something go wrong again.

41. Likes DSR-3, 7tvette, AZPete liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found this inspection kit online, maybe it will help. (LOLOL).

iu-4.jpeg

The Dealer GM called yesterday. He assured me he is onboard with the buyback and is confident Ford will make the right decision. He also said the paperwork could take a while as there seems to be quite a backlog. He assured me he would make sure there would be no out-of-pocket expense to me.

Good to hear.

So we continue to wait. Of course my wife has already moved on the see what else is in the market. I'll post later what she likes and doesn't. Me? I'm in no hurry at all.

I'll have to make sure to do a better job this time to gain Mr. Andrew's empathy should something go wrong again.
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RBachman View Post
    I found this inspection kit online, maybe it will help. (LOLOL).

iu-4.jpeg
    Indubitably!! Precisely!! Incontrovertible!

And all that rot!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Got my offer letter from Ford today. A couple of minor details to work out to make it 0-sum cost but we're almost there. I'm hoping to accept their offer by the end of the month.

Almost there... and then this fiasco will be OVER!

45. Likes RBachman, Alan_C, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great news, Dave! Good to see Ford do the right thing.

47. Thanks David Hodgkins thanked for this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Great news, Dave! Good to see Ford do the right thing.
    D-D-D-Double Ditto On The Good News!

49. Thanks David Hodgkins thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Happy to hear that it's ending well but what a pain in the rear to get there, huh? Hopefully whatever comes next is trouble free

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear the end is imminent. I have one word for you: Volvo.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast