Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Steering, Y / N?

Post Thanks / Like

Power Steering, Y / N?

I am about to buy a kit and this is another one I have to decide.
    On the one hand the car is light as a feather
    On the other hand a V8 is sitting on really wide tires
    I owned a car with manual steering when I was young and all you had to do was
    to make sure the care was rolling even the tiniest bit and it was ok.
    Bring the car to a stop and you have a workout on your hands

Not a big deal w/o PS and I tell you for an old car I could feel every pebble under the tires
    On the other hand, one fingered driving aint bad either

On a scale of 1-10 how hard is manual steering on one of these?

....Does F5 have units you can test drive?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have built/owned/driven 7 FFR cars, none with power steering and never really missed it. Currently have a 33 HR and this has the heaviest steering of them all (or is it my advanced age?) but once its rolling no problems at all. I don't believe F5 has test drives anymore (in the early days they toss you the keys and say go have fun. Insurance companies frowned.) Most people who have cars are willing to let you at least sit and ride in their build. Post your location and if anyone is close they'll show you what you need to know.

Post Thanks / Like
    As you mentioned, manual steering is hard when you are stopped. It's a 7 on my scale.

I added electric power steering after a couple of years with manual. I won't go back. The advantage with power steering is that you can add caster so it tracks straight better. I'm sure others will chime in. The advantage of electric power steering is that it is adjustable on the fly, so you can have manual steering if you want. However, with the added caster, I'm not sure if you would want to!!
    Steve

FFR #8305; IRS, 347; T5 Trans; EFI, 3.27 Rear; 17x9" Front; 17x10.5" Rear
    Paint - Ford Magnetic Metallic Gray (J7) with Black Stripes; Painted by "da Bat"
    Complete Kit Delivered 05/15/2014; Titled and Registered 4/14/2017 as a 1965!!

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Race cars don't have power steering! I have 6-degrees of caster on my car and manual steering -- no problem for this old man.
    Last edited by NAZ; 02-16-2021 at 06:24 PM.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

5. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've never driven one without PS and I'm guessing it isn't bad. However, I REALLY like my KRC power steering an it gives just the right amount of resistance as to not feel like a Cadillac. When making my decision I found no one that said they wish they didn't do PS and I wanted my Wife to be able to handle it when she drove it.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have built 14 FFR kits. On the ones I built for customers that did not want PS they wished they had listened to me and had it installed once they drove the finished car. Almost every car since the 1980's has had PS and PB. I personally will not own one without unless it is an 818 which is so light it does not need it. Just my 2 cents worth.
    16+ FFR kits and counting!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've only built one Factory Five MK4 and it has a manual rack.
    Do I wish the car had Power Steering?
    Nope!

Note:..The primary use of my car is cruising around with Mrs. Go-Dad & rare trips down the 1/8 or 1/4 mile drag strip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    I've only built one Factory Five MK4 and it has a manual rack.
    Do I wish the car had Power Steering?
    Nope!

Note:..The primary use of my car is cruising around with Mrs. Go-Dad & rare trips down the 1/8 or 1/4 mile drag strip.
    Because you don't know any better
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

10. Likes GoDadGo, Paul2STL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think this topic has been discussed many times and it's the same every time; strong opinions on both sides. I went with power steering on my car and like it. If properly set up, it doesn't feel light at all, but makes parking effortless. It also improves front end geometry compared with the "standard" manual setup. If you're asking about it, you're probably a good candidate to go power.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, talked about a lot. You'll get strong opinions on both sides. My standard response: Power steering isn't only about the effort, even though most seem to go there. Including your initial question and most of the responses so far. The big advantage is the improved front end geometry with increased caster. Just plain drives better. I've had both and won't go back.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Pros-and-cons

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Power-steering

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...anual-Steering

No, Factory Five doesn't allow test drives. Some have been lucky enough to get a ride from Dave though.
    Last edited by edwardb; 02-16-2021 at 08:21 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

13. Likes nucjd19 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both here too. PS no question and I’m a muscle bound gear head and always had manual setups. Once I drove one with PS I wondered why I was so stubborn before. Believe me after Building 6 and hardly driving them, anything you do to make the experience more enjoyable will get you on the car more.

Yeah yeah the shear power and raw race car is fun for a little while.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've driven both. That said, I have PS and power brakes
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Para View Post

1:On the one hand the car is light as a feather
    On the other hand a V8 is sitting on really wide tires

2:I owned a car with manual steering when I was young and all you had to do was
    to make sure the care was rolling even the tiniest bit and it was ok.
    Bring the car to a stop and you have a workout on your hands

3:Not a big deal w/o PS and I tell you for an old car I could feel every pebble under the tires
    On the other hand, one fingered driving aint bad either.

On all three counts you have it exactly right.

A few further thoughts on each:

1 - You've got it exactly right.

2 - You know exactly what to expect, and you ain't as young as you used to be - I started with manual, and it was exactly what I expected + not bad (if you know what to expect). Changed over to EPAS because I wasn't sure I'd want to continue to wrestle with it in advancing years. Also added a 1.5:1 steering quickener for autocross + other enthusiastic driving endeavors and you definitely don't want to try a ratio faster than 15:1 (about as fast as you can get std manual) without some form of power assist.

3 - You've got it exactly right (and time isn't doing any of us any favors).

Post Thanks / Like
    Many add it after the fact. Almost none remove it.

Post Thanks / Like
    As frd2 above stated, I am one of those who added it after the build was finished and driven for a year or so. It was manageable without power steering, especially since I never parallel parked it. But it was a workout when not moving or moving slow! So I added it in (E Power Steering) a year or so ago and am very happy I did. I keep it adjusted to minimum assist level and can only tell it is there when moving slow! Bottom line: If you are unsure, go with electric power steering and you can have it both ways! I'm betting you won't do without it once you have tried it!
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have driven both and I love my power steering!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    After a couple years, went with power steering. Plain old school OEM-type with the pressure spring trimmed to 1 7/16”. Plenty of assist when you need it, and great driving at speed due to the added caster.
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's no secret that edwardb and I are probably the top two proponents of power steering you'll find here. EVERY car I've built has it and EVERY one who asks me is advised to do it. People seem to think that it's all about steering effort, especially some of the "manly men" who like to do some chest thumping but the reality is that is far from the primary reason. Power steering allows you to run much more positive caster which promotes straight line stability and return to center as well as increasing camber gain while cornering. Plain and simple the car just drives down the road better. For autocross and track use it is pretty much mandatory if you really want to be able to get the most out of the car (some of those same manly men find out that there is no way they can truly hustle a manual rack car). As far as "road feel" this can be tuned to the driver's preference either by the use of a Heidt's variable boost valve or by changes to the pressure relief spring.

In the end...Just do it!

Jeff

22. Likes SSNK4US, Mark Reynolds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Power steering.

Post Thanks / Like
    This really is a silly debate. There aren't any real down sides to power steering, only upside. As has been stated, the best improvement come in how much better the car drives and handles, ease of steering is second. Had manual steering in the old car, power in this one, was amazed how much the stability of car improved on the highway. Don't think about just do it.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

25. Likes CaptB, NAZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Silly? Perhaps. But is it not silly to run power steering, power brakes, and still shift your own gears when auto trans technology has supplanted the manual transmission? Autos are outperforming manual trans in a variety of racing disciplines -- there's no manual trans that shifts faster than an auto, not even those $30K sequential clutchless transmissions.

Or maybe it's just one of those personal choice things that makes us feel good. I feel good knowing that I don't have an extra 10lbs of weight on the front end of my race car because I want easier steering at slow speed. However, on my street cars I'd NEVER buy a daily driver without power steering. Even my 1600lb SXS off-road vehicle has power steering and I'm looking at replacing my two 700lb ATVs with ones with power steering. So I get it. But do you need power steering in one of these light cars? That's a personal choice. I know if John Wayne was buying one he'd skip the power steering as a real man doesn't need it.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed PS using an early 90’s Mustang pump and a 3 turn LTL rack after driving my car for 18 years with manual steering. It’s the best change I ever made on the car!
    Phil: FFR 3121, Frame #2050, Mk 1.5, built 2002, 1991 donor with Blueprint 302 long block and 1993 Cobra intake, BBK 70mm T/B, no smog, power steering, T-5 and 3.55 rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    This really is a silly debate. There aren't any real down sides to power steering, only upside. As has been stated, the best improvement come in how much better the car drives and handles, ease of steering is second. Had manual steering in the old car, power in this one, was amazed how much the stability of car improved on the highway. Don't think about just do it.
    Correct, stupid debate. I drove a 280Z for 8 years with no PS and i'll never do that again. If you are blasting the car down a drag strip, I get it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Silly? Perhaps. But is it not silly to run power steering, power brakes, and still shift your own gears when auto trans technology has supplanted the manual transmission? Autos are outperforming manual trans in a variety of racing disciplines -- there's no manual trans that shifts faster than an auto, not even those $30K sequential clutchless transmissions.

Or maybe it's just one of those personal choice things that makes us feel good. I feel good knowing that I don't have an extra 10lbs of weight on the front end of my race car because I want easier steering at slow speed. However, on my street cars I'd NEVER buy a daily driver without power steering. Even my 1600lb SXS off-road vehicle has power steering and I'm looking at replacing my two 700lb ATVs with ones with power steering. So I get it. But do you need power steering in one of these light cars? That's a personal choice. I know if John Wayne was buying one he'd skip the power steering as a real man doesn't need it.
    John Wayne also chose a horse over a bike. :-)

30. Likes NAZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Race Car" is it really a "Race Car" if you're not actively racing it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptB View Post
    Hey Captain,

If you are talking about "The NAZ Man" his is a race car.
    From the firewall back, his car was 100% fabricated by The NAZ Man.
    Check it out and I'm sure you too will be impressed.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=1675

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-17-2021 at 06:37 PM.

33. Likes NAZ, CaptB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptB View Post
    Agree. Just having fun with the debate and my buddy Rich, who I also share many opinions with. Did you notice I'm actually considering trading two perfectly good ATVs in for ones that have Power Steering, and the power steering is the only reason I'm considering them? I truly get it.

Post Thanks / Like
    WAIT, so John Wayne's horse didn't have power steering?

36. Likes Joel Hauser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't NASCAR's have power steering...They are real race cars right?

38. Likes CaptB, NAZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have it. My car was built for autocrossing, so it really was necessary. However, I have the boost turned way down for the street.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Because you don't know any better
    Correct!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. And more yes
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I drove my roadster as a go kart the manual steering felt fine. Once I added the body I didnt like it so much. For me, part of the issue is the confines of the cabin. I find I am only steering with one, to one and a half arms, as my elbow always hits on the door, and I am not a big guy, round, but not big. I guess I could have thrown the drivers door away, but the car gets too much attention already. So power steering was the solution. I only fitted it a couple of weeks ago and I'll never go back.

Cheers,

Nigel
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

43. Likes GoDadGo, CaptB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both NASCAR and F1 have power steering but Indy cars do not.
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are going to even think about autocross - absolutely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes for power steering!

Post Thanks / Like
    This really is a silly debate. There aren't any real down sides to power steering, only upside.
    Weight, steering feel, parasitic drag. Not really any question that PS adds weight, adds parasitic drag, and decreases steering feel. May not make it "worse" overall but no question those are real downsides.

On a separate note, its all a steering effort question in the end. As far as I am aware there is nothing stopping you from dialing in a manual steering alignment to the same specs as a power steering alignment other than steering effort
    Last edited by Hoooper; 02-18-2021 at 03:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
    Weight, steering feel, parasitic drag. Not really any question that PS adds weight, adds parasitic drag, and decreases steering feel. May not make it "worse" overall but no question those are real downsides.

On a separate note, its all a steering effort question in the end. As far as I am aware there is nothing stopping you from dialing in a manual steering alignment to the same specs as a power steering alignment other than steering effort
    I do, they bogus
    Weight---the car is 2300#, 15# of steering pump is meaningless, I can take a dump and make 1/2 that
    Parasitic drag---can't get all the power to the ground now, and I'm running Avon track tires
    Steering feel---nothing different at all between this car and my old non-power car, in fact this one is WAY more stable and sure footed
    Go ahead and put 8* of caster in your car and tell me how great the road feel is.

Post Thanks / Like
    100% agree with Rich. Just dropped my daughter at school, then went for a spirited drive through some great twisties nearby. (Absolutely perfect driving weather over here right now) First run on this route since fitting EPAS a couple of weeks ago. Parasitic loss? Who cares. This thing is now so much quicker point to point.
    Extra weight? Who cares. It is way quicker. (Took a dump before I left)
    Reduced feel? Slightly, but most feedback was of big tyres trying to wrench the wheel from my grip on tight undulating bends. I don't miss that.
    The car feels safer as it can be recovered quickly and is now rock solid. Oh yeah, did I mention that point to point is way quicker.

Over and out
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

50. Likes CaptB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Need some info here:

Why and how does PS allow more caster in a FFR?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast