Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  163
Likes Likes:  212

Thread: Jesse builds a Cobra #10,008 - Full of hot air

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm trying to decide if I like the satin finish of the frame PC better than the gloss. It's a moot point because I am not re coating it no matter what but I think the real test will be how does it look in a few years.

I took the axle down and mocked it up in the frame. One of the things I had been back and forth about was the quad shocks. I built the rear end out of a donor housing that was in remarkably good shape. They are useless but at the end of the day nobody really sees them. Why fix something that's not broke and besides they made for a great place to get a sling attached to. I took it off the stand and mocked it up in the frame and I had a change of heart. I just don't like the way they look and I could tell it was going to bother me till the end of time so I pulled it back down, took off the new parts then wrapped and taped the rest.

I used a sawsall and angle grinder. It went really well. I wish I had stopped to take pictures but I just got in the zone and forgot to.

Mounted everything back up. I did run into an issue where my axle was resting on the panhard bracket. It bothered me enough to make a thread on the main board but Dr. Kleiner said it was normal so that's good enough for me. I had the upper link tube shortened. In my mind that would put the axle at it's highest point, this is exactly backwards. When you lengthen it it rotates the axle up and away from the bracket. So learned a little something. So now I have it just off the bracket for now.

Re mounted the shocks and lined everything back up. I have the axles floating in there for now (nothing holding them in) and the back cover is loosely attached until my brakes come in.

One thing I had to do was I made the groove too deep on my frame dolly for the 4" round tubes to sit in. I had to modify it to make room for the LCA's. No big deal but something to keep in mind when designing yours. I also think your dolly has to sit behind the back 4' cross member. I had it in front and it was really easy to lift the front end. I would think rear axle would have been enough weight to make it tippy. Short term issue as you put things on the car it will balance itself out. Just my observations.

Last edited by Blitzboy54; 03-12-2021 at 01:33 PM.
    MK4 #10008 - Ordered 10/06/20, Delivered 03/03/21, First Start 7/22/21, First Go Kart 7/24/21
    Paint by Metal Morphous 5/14/22, Legally registered 6/8/22, Graduated 7/20/22
    Build Thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...been-delivered
    Complete Kit, Ford 306, Sniper/Dual Sync, T5, Hydraulic clutch