Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: New to Forum. Intro..........

Post Thanks / Like

New to Forum. Intro..........

Hello all,

My name is Marc. I am 62 years old. I live in Plano, a suburb of Dallas. I have a desire to build one of the FFR Type 65 Coupes. Some info about my back ground.

I was a part time machinist while in high school and held a full time job there until I was in my mid 20's. Aside from building parts for Texas Instruments we also raced a 1968 Mustang in the SCCA region here. We also modified many a street car as well as other track cars. We designed and build high Vac plating machines as well as many other projects that we as employees were tasked with and left to design and building our selves. So we all could weld, machine and figure out just about any task.

Then for the next 15 years of life I got into fabricating composite cabinetry for military aircraft such as C 130's which were configured as hospital ships. Worked on a few interiors of VIP L 1011 Aircraft, one of which was for the king Hussein of Jordan. Then I got into Corporate aircraft interiors. Mainly retrofitting interiors to the new owners specifications. Re configure the aircraft to fit their needs. Mostly composite cabinetry, panel mods and also designing new cabinetry. I also did soft goods covering. We also did complete retro fits or refurbs.

Then I was asked by a friend to help help him, a friend who I worked with at the first shop. He was a one man shop that moved into a facility to be the support shop. He asked me to come help him modify, design and install production high vacuum plating machines for production of optic filters. While there for just under 2 years we set up, modified and brought on line over 20 systems. Then the first Tech Crash hit. We were sold off and within a year shut down. My wife's job in the financial world cratered as well with buy out after buy outs.

So then 9/11 hits. The wife took a temp job in Baltimore with a company that was to move to Dallas in 3 months. I took some time off and spent time with dad. My mom had just died and we both needed time together. It was a great period in my life. No wife, Lots of coffee with dad and his friends. Lots of time on my motorcycles. Then reality hit, I need to go back to work! LOL!

So after 9 months in Baltimore the wife is back. I finally get a job in a machine shop again. Ran the purchasing end, shipping end, did design work and assemble on production machines for Texas Instruments and I did parts identifying and inspection. We also did work for many military vendors such as Raytheon and DRS. I held that job over 18 years until January 2021 when I retired. Lots more. I will save it for later.

So to sum it up. I want to build a Type 65 Coupe. I am confident I have the ability and time to build one correctly and would be able to see the build to the end. , I have many questions and I will post a thread when allowed. :-) I look forward to many threads, many comments and hope to learn a bunch from all of you.

BDRAG

2. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, nice resume! I'm sure with your past experience you'll do just fine.

And if you do get into a jam that you can't think your way out of there are plenty of guys here more than willing to help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well thank you narly1. One can never have enough support. Read this thread of mine now and use your vast forum knowledge to solve it.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...t-in-a-type-65

BDRAG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    BDRAG,

I moved your thread to the Type 65 forum. The build thread forum is for just that; build threads.

I also gave you full access so you can use the gallery, ad an avatar and signature to your profile, etc.

Welcome to the forum!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Forum Marc from another newbie. I just joined the Forum two weeks ago and just ordered my Gen 3 Coupe this morning from FFR . from the looks of your resume i think you will be pretty comfortable building your Coupe. the forum is filled with like minded Gear Heads more than willing to share there experience.

7. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well thank you so much David! It will take me a few days to figure out the forum format and where and why I belong! LOL! Again thanks.....

Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Well hello fellow couper. If you wouldn't mind B Campbell, please feel free to PM the info of your build, ie, what you are starting with and the particulars like lead time and any other pertinent info like $ if you wouldn't mind sharing. A phone call is always a good start. I will pm you my number. Feel free to touch base with me. It would be a learning experience I am sure.

Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! You surely got lots of experiences and skills!