BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: tools for build

Post Thanks / Like

tools for build

As I am waiting for the kit to arrive I have been looking at tools I might need. I have about all "wrenching" tools, but limited fabrication tools. Here are a few I was considering:

1. Clecos -- I got them in acouple of different sizes
    2. Rivnuts -- Got these as well
    3. Brake tubing bender -- I have a basic one. What kind works best?
    4. Brake flare kit?
    5. Sheet metal brake?
    6. Rivet fan spacing tool?
    7. Plasma cutter? I really want one of these to go with my welder, but I just cant justify it for this project, or can I?

I really havent done much metal fabrication, just basic welding to fix stuff. I never knew about Clecos, very neat tool. Right up there with a pressure bleeder! Thanks.

ernest

Post Thanks / Like
    The basic tubing bender is really all you need. I ended up using sockets mounted in my vice (don't forget a bench vice - VERY handy) for most of the bends anyway.

Definitely get a good brake flare kit. I threw my Harbor Freight set in the garbage after 1 use and have been using a Sears Craftsman set ever since. Make sure you get the version that includes the caps for making bubble flares as you will need this to create the double flares required.

Sheet metal brake came in very handy - cheap Harbor Freight version worked fine

Rivet fan spacing tool - Breeze model is VERY good

For cutting, a grinder will come in very handy but I did most of my cutting with a basic jigsaw. A full Dremel kit is a must as well. With the grinder, dremel and jigsaw I had more than enough.

Other stuff to consider

Heat gun for your wiring (heat shrink tubing) and a soldering iron.

I used a 1 Ton Arbor press (Harbor Freight) a couple of times when nothing else could get the job done.

I bought a Harbor Freight air rivet gun and threw it out after 2 rivets. the thing would spew hydraulic fluid everywhere. Manual riveting wasn't too bad.

LOTS of drill bits for your rivets.

HTH

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I was thinking of getting a rivet gun.

I guess the #10 and #30 bits are the most used? I am going to search for some good high quality bits...if thats still possible!

There is so much cheap junk out there for tools, that can be frustrating. I have always been pleased with Craftsman, so I will check out their flaring kit.

They make a 10 hole and 20 hole rivet spacer. Breeze sells the 20, so I guess that is the ideal one? I just wondered if it would be too long for some of the shorter panels.

Looks like I am just about set....haha

Post Thanks / Like
    I definitely recommend the pneumatic rivet gun. I used the one from Jegs for $50. Also buy the swivel air connector for it.

I also recommend drill bits from Breeze. 10 small ones and 5 big ones (# 10 and 30 - I forget which is which).

I also used a lot of cleckos (100).

Post Thanks / Like
    The nice thing about the bigger spacer is that you can fill small areas by compressing it and skipping holes.

If I recall correctly I only needed 1 #30 bit but I think I went through 14-15 #10 bits. You are bound to hit a couple of welds along the way which is sure to break a bit but even with good quality bits, the fact is that you end up drilling so many holes that they eventually just snap.

One other comment, Breeze offers a small spring loaded tool that makes it really easy to create a small punch mark on the aluminum sheets. Since you only need one hand to operate it the job goes very fast and can use the other hand to hold the spacer. I found it easiest to mark and drill the aluminum sheets off the car and then install in place and drill one hole through the existing aluminum hole through the steel so that you can install a clecko to hold it in place. Next, I would drill through another on an opposite location and use a clecko to hold it in place. After that I just "went to town" with drilling the rest of the holes. Using this process everything lined up perfectly and the riveting was easy.

HTH
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by emac View Post
    Thanks, I was thinking of getting a rivet gun.

I guess the #10 and #30 bits are the most used? I am going to search for some good high quality bits...if thats still possible!

There is so much cheap junk out there for tools, that can be frustrating. I have always been pleased with Craftsman, so I will check out their flaring kit.

They make a 10 hole and 20 hole rivet spacer. Breeze sells the 20, so I guess that is the ideal one? I just wondered if it would be too long for some of the shorter panels.

Looks like I am just about set....haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Harbor Freight has some nice 1/8" double ended drill bits that come in a pack of 10. I've only killed one so far. I also used ratchet straps to act as a third hand when installing my rear axle and the gas tank(I don't have many friends). I have to be honest, I've not needed clecos or a brake, and I can't imagine what you'd need a plasma cutter for unless you were planning major mods.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piec...its-66213.html
    Last edited by jspa; 10-25-2011 at 12:10 PM.

Gas Fume Philosopher AJ Roadster NJ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    SAFETY GOGGLES

Post Thanks / Like
    Great posts, thanks! Just the feedback I was looking for.

After an expensive trip to the eye doc to remove a metal shaving, I buy safety glasses 20 at a time from Sams club.

I was kind of kidding about the Plasma cutter. I have had my eye on one since the summer, when I bought a new welder (Miller 211). They have really come down in price and size.

jspa, friends will show up about the time it gets finished!

Post Thanks / Like
    so having a cool car is kind of like owning a cottage

Post Thanks / Like
    Air Compressor, Air Drill, and Hydraulic Air Riverter.
    HTH
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Sharpies, you will use them alot
    Denny
    Mk IV #7365 Ordered 9/27/10, Pick-up 10/30/10, Go Cart 7/30/11 302 cid 030, Carburetor, T-5, 4 Link, Completed 5/27/12, Grabber Blue / Kona Blue
    "One day your car will be working and you'll see a reflection of yourself in a shop window, and trust me on this, that will be good" J.C.
    http://s841.photobucket.com/user/BLTFRDTUF/library/

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my list of tools not exactly in the manual:
    Keep in mind I love tools - the build is a great excuse to by lots of tools.

1) Patience
    2) Lots of your favorite beverage
    3) Safety glasses and googles
    4) Mechanix Wear Fabricator Gloves
    5) Blue Painter Masking Tape - to protect the powdercoating on the frame and the bare aluminum panels from scratches
    6) Air Compresor - at least 4.9 scfm @ 90psi - if you want to spend money spend on an air compressor over a plasma cutter
    7) Pneumatic Rivet Gun & Hand Rivet Tool - check Northern Tools, Craftsman, or Summit Racing
    8) Angle Grinder Air Tool (used often) with stone grinders and metal reamers - can be used on regular drill
    9) Right Angle Drill - pneumatic is cheaper and smaller - good for tight spaces
    10) Drill with 1/2 inch Chuck
    11) Jig Saw with sheet metal blade
    12) Cleco's (used often) size 1/8 (at least 50) size 3/16 (at least 20)
    13) Cleco Hand Tool
    14) Spring Loaded Punch from Breeze
    15) Cobalt Drill Bits - for hard metals - full set
    16) Drill Bits - #10 at least 2 incase one breaks - #30 at least ten - from Breeze
    17) Step Drill Set - great for clean holes in the panels up to 1 3/8 inches - for holes in Dash, firewall, etc.
    18) Metal Hole Saws - for holes bigger than 1 3/8 inches
    19) Welding C-clamps - at least 4
    20) Irwin Quick Grip Clamps - in small and medium sizes
    21) Dremel Tool (used often) - for cutting, grinding, stripping
    22) Big Vise
    23) Alignment Tools and Punches (used often)
    24) Hand Wrenches in larger sizes - 13/16, 7/8 , 15/16 sizes
    25) Sharpies - Black or Blue and Silver - silver good for dark metals
    26) Jack Stands - at least 3 ton size and more than 4 is helpful in holding extra parts like axle
    27) Rivet Spacing Tool - one comes in the kit - I use this one the most - but also got the adjustable one from Breeze
    28) Dead Blow Hammer - use the 37 and 26 oz the most

Favorite Vendors for tools - in case you where interested:
    1) Craftsman/Sears
    2) Summit Racing
    3) Breeze
    4) Northern Tools
    5) Eastwood
    6) McMaster Carr
    7) DeWalt Tools
    8) Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
    Last edited by Scott Zackowski; 10-25-2011 at 10:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Forget the rivet spacer. On a piece of elastic (like cut from your jockies) mark each 2-inch with a black marker. Clamp one end to the end of your rivet line and then slightly stretch to the end of the rivet line, mark with a spring-loaded punch. Perfectly proportional spacing on any length, cheap (free) and hangs on a nail. KISS.
    Pete
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    For some high quality tools, check out the aviation tool supply places. Brown Tools and ATS are great websites for high quality tools, drill bits, and everything else sheetmetal. Yardstore is also a good place for used tools. They are in great condition, and the price is great for the quality you get. Another option for those of you that live in a large city with a good aviation business (factories, airlines and such) check Craigslist and pawn stores. A lot of sheetmetal tools end up there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott,

Good list, thanks. I have about everything on the list except patience! Looking hard for some, it ain't cheap

Post Thanks / Like
    I did all of my sheet metal cutting and fitting with hand tools, since I had the time and wanted the increased amount of control over the cuts. For that, I used several different WISS hand cutters, some for straight cuts, and others for right and left-hand curves. Also, I used 1 4-inch wide duck-billed Vice Grip plier to adjust the angles of the 3/4-inch wide edge flanges. I know I am in the minority for doing this by hand, but I did find that part of the work most enjoyable, especially after I discovered that patience, trial and error, and lots of cleckos were part of the process as well. In fact, time after time, I found that the adjusted panels fit together much better than I would have ever suspected after my initial trial fittings.

Post Thanks / Like
    It might sound silly, but my go to tool is a hammer. I have a drawer full of different types now and I can't tell you how many times after using a hammer and think, "dang, this is a great tool".

The plasma cutter sounds a bit extreme for this kind of build but then again, I am not making any major modifications like others.

Also, my .02 when it comes to tools you get what you pay for. All the HB tools I have bought I end up throwing away or leaving them in a drawer. Not to say that all there tools a junk - just most of them.
    ----------
    FFR7469 MKIV 15th Anniversary Edition

Post Thanks / Like
    - Cordless drill, 3/8" VSR
    - Cordless impact wrench, 1/2" - I pick this up long before I use the air tools
    - Drill Dr. - Drill bit sharpener. I only use 1 or 2 #30 drill bits for the entire build.
    - Cutting oil
    - For rivit spacing I used a pencil and a kids drawing compass I had lying around the house.
    - Cleckos - I used about 20 1/8" and 5 3/16". I found that to be plenty.
    - Bead Roller. I bought a cheap one from HF, and used it to roll beads in a lot of the panels - prevents oil canning
    - Write on/Wipe off pens. For when you don't want to leave a permanent mark.
    - I didn't have to do any reshaping or fabbing of the alum panels. The only sheet metal I bought was a new pair of straight tin snips.
    - I tried to justify a plasma cutter, but couldn't do it. Not that much fabrication involved.
    - Home powder coating kit and oven. Now this is something I get a LOT of use out of.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com