Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Roadster vs Coupe Build?

Post Thanks / Like

Roadster vs Coupe Build?

Sorry wasn't sure which Forum was appropriate for this question. Looking for opinions from builders that have completed both Roadster and Coupe builds. Which build did you find more challenging and why?

Thanks, trying to decide between these 2 is a difficult choice. Always wanted a Roadster but they are starting to look like Teslas they are everywhere. The Coupe obviously is rarer and looks to be more valuable when completed.

Post Thanks / Like
    The coupe is more difficult, maybe 2X in time. The big one is body fitting for the doors, hood and glass. Then add in AC and more interior finishing. I also put more effort into details under the hood, on the coupe you can see more of the engine.
    Cost wise the coupe is more and the body work and paint will be close to double. Both are cool, the cobra is recognized by most and everyone wants to know what the coupe is.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

3. Thanks svassh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've built and had both. Currently a Gen 3 Coupe is the one driver we have. Truck under construction. David about covered it. Coupe is more complicated and more expensive. But how much in each case depends a lot on build choices. Very common to add A/C, etc. and the costs go up quickly. I too found the body and paint work to be significantly more. Windshield is more difficult. But what you get as a result is a car that rides better (longer wheelbase), has a top and sheltered from the elements better (with heat and A/C), has a little more room to carry stuff (hatch area), and is very unique. My Roadsters got a lot of attention. But the Coupe way more. Draws a crowd everywhere. Takes some practice to get in and out and for some this could be a deal breaker. But similar to a Roadster with a top. And they are loud. Expect to wear earplugs with either. Both are outstanding and you wouldn't go wrong with either. But for us right now the Coupe is our favorite. Build thread and video in my sig line below.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

5. Thanks svassh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Edward and David that was very much the sense I got from reading the forums that the Coupe was a more complicated build. Surprised by how much both of you mentioned body work since that is my least favorite part of any project I think I'll stick with the Roadster plan.

My wife is upset I am replacing her favorite my C3 Corvette Convertible with the kit car as she enjoys the open top rides. Better to keep her happy and my other garage tenant is a GT350R so I already have a 2 seat coupe.

Post Thanks / Like
    A Tesla... really.....

Post Thanks / Like
    As someone who has completed neither but intends to complete both & drives a Tesla, the value of your car is in the quality of your build and like any good classic car restoration documenting it adds a ton of value.

This week my Coupe goes to paint but my interior is basically done and I have to say it’s been a ton of fun designing and fabricating it.

32C29961-0B10-40B5-951F-C2369D6591D8.jpg

Also you can spend more money under the hood but with that money you can take it to a different level than you can with a roadster.

C2D949C7-5491-4362-A102-A38DA1784CA3.jpg

I’ve never built a car before but the coupe is a fun challenge. If you have a hardtop 2 door, a open top is sure a good companion.

PS- If you build a roadster of any quality it would be better than any Tesla

9. Thanks svassh thanked for this post
    Likes svassh, D Stand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P100DHG View Post
    As someone who has completed neither but intends to complete both & drives a Tesla, the value of your car is in the quality of your build and like any good classic car restoration documenting it adds a ton of value.

This week my Coupe goes to paint but my interior is basically done and I have to say it’s been a ton of fun designing and fabricating it.

32C29961-0B10-40B5-951F-C2369D6591D8.jpg

Also you can spend more money under the hood but with that money you can take it to a different level than you can with a roadster.

C2D949C7-5491-4362-A102-A38DA1784CA3.jpg

I’ve never built a car before but the coupe is a fun challenge. If you have a hardtop 2 door, a open top is sure a good companion.

PS- If you build a roadster of any quality it would be better than any Tesla
    Beautiful Coupe and craftsmanship! Since my Tesla mention was tongue in cheek I guess I should clarify my intentions being the new guy. My only point is there are far more Cobra Roadsters on the road than Coupes. I could have just as easily used Toyota Camry or Ford F150.

11. Likes P100DHG liked this post