Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Insurance

Post Thanks / Like

Insurance

Hey All,

Question regarding insurance from delivery of Kit through build progression. I ordered a Roadster complete kit, (more on that later) and I am curious as to how you guys went about insuring said kit while you were assembling. I haven’t queried my insurance company yet which I will most certainly do prior to delivery but was wondering at what point you all set up for insurance should something nasty occur. Home owners coverage, classic car etc.

I am still working through the details and the planning of my upcoming build and I will post the details in a week or so. Expected delivery is mid September. I’ve been pouring through this and other forums and you guys have been a valuable source in putting this build plan together so I thank you all once again for the effort and substantial time required to post your builds and answer the multitude of questions that are asked here. Trust me when I say that I WILL most assuredly be asking many more.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    The answer is going to depend on what your insurance company says. Early in the process they may consider your kit to be a collection of car parts and covered under your usual homeowners policy. But at some point it will be considered a vehicle and then you'll need to see about actual insurance. Some companies offer a reduced rate for vehicles under construction (zero miles, no VIN, etc.). Robbin at Midwest Classic is a good place to start. But I found the premiums to be higher than expected. And complicated in some cases without a VIN. Personally I've decided the risk is less than the cost and effort. We live in a low crime area. Have a monitored security and fire alarm system in our house including my garage shop. Although very unlikely, a kit under construction as part of a complete loss is a very low percentage. I'm willing to accept the risk. I know not everything will agree, but that's how I've approached it.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is covered under my homeowners until I have a VIN. I called to see if I should get an individual rider but in my case it was not necessary. I do have to keep receipts but other than that I’m good up to way past the value of the car.
    MK4 #10008 - Ordered 10/06/20, Delivered 03/03/21, First Start 7/22/21, First Go Kart 7/24/21
    Paint by Metal Morphous 5/14/22, Legally registered 6/8/22, Graduated 7/20/22
    Build Thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...been-delivered
    Complete Kit, Ford 306, Sniper/Dual Sync, T5, Hydraulic clutch

Post Thanks / Like
    While it's under construction my insurance company is covering mine as part of my homeowners. No additional requirements or cost while it's still a collection of individual parts.
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gentlemen,

Thanks for the info. Pretty much what I figured but I wanted to see what some of you had done before I talked to any Insurance company.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Don’t be surprised if your regular insurance carrier will not insure you. State Farm would not insure me because my GTM is considered a race car. I went through NCM, 850 or so per yr for 3k miles per yr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic8 View Post
    Don’t be surprised if your regular insurance carrier will not insure you. State Farm would not insure me because my GTM is considered a race car. I went through NCM, 850 or so per yr for 3k miles per yr.
    Interesting .... I had no problem insuring my FF Cobra roadster with them .... and it wasn't expensive ..... good luck .... Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    For those who have been told they are covered under their homeowner policies, be absolutely sure you understand what your insurance company will pay you for all those "parts". Most will have some limit, and I doubt many will cover the $30-50k that you will have sitting there before it is completed. I worked with my insurance company to insure mine as a "build in progress" under my auto policy and it was covered for the invoice value of the collection of parts.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm covered through State Farm now that my car has received its VIN Number, but I was flying with No Coverage What So Ever while I was under construction.
    The big issue for me is that my shop is under my house and is in a flood plane so nothing is covered below my entrance door thresholds.

Shop Video:
    https://youtu.be/IGYtX-3p7xk

Check With Agent To See What Options Are Available!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 06-15-2021 at 09:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    For those who have been told they are covered under their homeowner policies, be absolutely sure you understand what your insurance company will pay you for all those "parts". Most will have some limit, and I doubt many will cover the $30-50k that you will have sitting there before it is completed. I worked with my insurance company to insure mine as a "build in progress" under my auto policy and it was covered for the invoice value of the collection of parts.
    This is a great point, I have USAA, I have full replacement value of my property up to $350k. They are the Cadillac of insurance company's and cannot recommend them enough. If you or your parents are veterans there really is no other choice.

But I have heard plenty of story's of folks being not as covered as they thought
    MK4 #10008 - Ordered 10/06/20, Delivered 03/03/21, First Start 7/22/21, First Go Kart 7/24/21
    Paint by Metal Morphous 5/14/22, Legally registered 6/8/22, Graduated 7/20/22
    Build Thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...been-delivered
    Complete Kit, Ford 306, Sniper/Dual Sync, T5, Hydraulic clutch

11. Likes JB in NOVA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did not insure this during the build. It was a bit sketchy doing some go kart miles around the neighborhood without insurance. I was able to get it insured through state farm once I got a title for the car. I called Robbin at Midwest but his rates through Haggarty were a bit higher than state farm. SF also allows me to remove the collision coverage during the months that I'm not driving it in the winter, and keeps the comprehensive insurance going at a cheap rate. I was also able to get titled in OH before my car was completely done without an inspection, but that's a different story for a different day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    ...It was a bit sketchy doing some go kart miles around the neighborhood without insurance...
    Nobody's insurance is covering that. I don't care what it is. Let alone whatever a LEO might write you up for if in the mood. It's a right of passage for the build and I guess everyone does it. Including me. But something to be very very cautious with. Some of the videos that get posted make this old retired guy very nervous. Not to get the thread off topic.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Allstate told me they only cover something minimal like $1500 for car parts. Asked about adding a rider and they refused.
    Ordered 9/24/2020, Delivered 1/18/2021 MK4 Roadster, 3 Link, 15" Halibrands, Blueprint Carb 347/TKX Installed 3/13/2022, first start 10/2022, go cart 11/2022, CA SB100 Reg Complete 12/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzboy54 View Post
    This is a great point, I have USAA, I have full replacement value of my property up to $350k. They are the Cadillac of insurance company's and cannot recommend them enough. If you or your parents are veterans there really is no other choice.

But I have heard plenty of story's of folks being not as covered as they thought
    I second this. I've had USAA for 35+ years, and they are a solid company. They insured my Mk4 with no problem whatsoever.
    MKIV Complete Kit #9822 l BluePrint 347 EFI l TKO600 l Power Steering l Heater/Defrost l Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a member of Hagerty Drivers Club and they advertise insurance for any collector car race or street.
    https://www.hagerty.com/

jim

https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/cl...1d2202d76379a9
    Last edited by J R Jones; 06-19-2021 at 08:55 AM. Reason: addition

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J R Jones View Post
    I am a member of Hagerty Drivers Club and they advertise insurance for any collector car race or street.
    https://www.hagerty.com/

jim

https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/cl...1d2202d76379a9
    I'm struggling with Hagerty right now getting insurance for my newly purchased MK2. They wanted a lot of information on the horsepower of the engine, assurances it didn't have nitrous. The topper was they wanted a high performance driving resume from me showing what cars I had owned with horsepower numbers and HPDE driving or racing experience.

I've had specialty cars with them for about 10 years now. They tell me the high HP to weight ratio on the Cobra replicas have caused a lot of issues for them in claims. My other car with them is a GT350R with more HP but lower HP to weight ratio.

Hopefully just submitted my last paperwork which was a document stating my 20 year old daughter would not drive the car. Starting to sweat as I am supposed to pickup the MK2 tomorrow.

EDIT - Got it wrapped up this AM, required a special underwriter but they stayed on the line with me while I answered all their questions. Good service I've come to expect from Hagerty.
    Last edited by svassh; 06-30-2021 at 09:24 AM.