Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: One toe in the water (could be a big ocean out there)

Post Thanks / Like

Cool One toe in the water (could be a big ocean out there)

Well folks I have listened to everyone with their comments and concerns about the CANBUS and attempting to a build with the 818. I figured if I was going to do a build I might as well get some questions out of the way first and nail it down before I order the 818 kit. I am going to breadboard the electrical system (the brains) and try and make sure all the parts play together before I get hunkered down on the mechanical issues I will have to overcome in my build. Here is my plan:

1) CANBUS 2015 using a USDM 3.6L engine and matching ECU. (ECU purchased)
    2) BIU matching (same vehicle) already purchased
    3) Key, key switch, immobilizer unit from same vehicle (purchased)
    4) Main Bulkhead harness (purchased new for 2015)
    5) TCU from same vehicle (purchased)
    6) AGT Engineering Stand Alone Box with CANBUS emulator, VVT and Fuel (purchased)
    7) Instrument Harness 2015 (awaiting to see what I need from that harness)
    8) Cluster from same vehicle (purchased)

I am going to breadboard this like AGT Engineering did and try to duplicate their results starting with the immobilizer and then working all the way to the engine. It should be pretty exciting and cannot wait for the parts to start to arrive. Here is a clip from their site. [https://video.wixstatic.com/video/e6.../mp4/file.mp4]

Wish me luck

I will keep you up to date as I begin this big adventure.

Thanks

Bill

2. Likes fletch, David Hodgkins, Hobby Racer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's nice to see another EZ36 being built, you are now one of 3 that I know of.

BTW your video link does not work
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Try this here. It is the second clip on the thread. https://www.agtengineering.com.au/pr...-interface-box

Post Thanks / Like
    Well a quick update. The AGT Engineering stand-alone box with CANBUS emulator is being setup and will be sent out asap. The 2015 3.6L gear fizzled after they called me back and told me someone has stolen the key for that system. Not to let a little think like that get in my way, I procured today a 2010 set with the ECU, BIU, Key switch + immobilizer/antenna, key and a bonus steering column. Not sure I can use the last piece but worth it. What will make this change a little more palatable is that the transmission comes from a 5AT verses a CVT. The mod to a 6 MT should be more straight forward. Digging into all the service manuals right now and setting up an engineering book to track what I learn and need to still find out.
    Thanks

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Well not much of an update as life has gotten in the way of progress on the pre-build. With my wife getting diagnosed with cancer and getting her the best care we can find, I have not have much time to devote to the project. I can say that I have dieted the harness and now believe I have a plan to test the various components prior to the kit arriving mid year. I will try and post some pictures and results from the tests as I build up from the basic immobilizer, ecu, biu, cluster and key with the AGT box to adding the ePB, VDC and some other components from a 2010 Legacy. Hopefully the next few weeks will bring good results.

I do have one ask for the group. I am trying to source the connector plug for the 2006 Impreza Fuel Pump assembly. My plug from the Legacy will not work. If I cannot find one, I will have to come up with a splice approach to the top connector. This is not ideal. Any suggestions, much appreciated.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Might try Rockauto.com. They often have connectors.
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...onnector,13066
    Is it one of these?

Post Thanks / Like
    The Subaru part number appears to be 42086FA041. I can't find a good photo of that part number, but it should look like this one from my 2006 Impreza. The Turbo, NA, and STI use the same connector.
    fuelpumpconn.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks I will take a look

Post Thanks / Like
    iWire also stocks OEM Subaru connectors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Ordered with some other parts from the Little Rock online Subaru

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill-

Checking in to see how your wife is doing. I hope she is well, and Covid hasn't gotten in the way of her getting the best care she can! We are thinking of her (and you) and hoping things work out, and she recovers quickly. I know you just posted about this, but presume this happened a bit in the past given the delay from your previous post...

Let us know if we can help!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the kind words and thoughts. She is getting to start round 3 of chemo on Monday. It has taken a lot of her energy so far and she is down 17 lbs. Signs are good so far for the treatment. She has not had Covid, like me and a member of the long-haulers.

Thanks

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Well folks I had a little time over the last few days and was able to get a simple test done with the AGT box and the immobilizer system. I have not figured out yet how to load videos, but the test consisted of the ECU, Key Switch, TCU, BIU and the AGT Box. I wired up the fuel pumps and was able to see the red flashing key light on the AGT Box and place the key in the ignition to start and have the IMMOBILIZER status go to off. On the cluster the Red Car immobilizer signal went out, so we can say that with this box you can get by the immobilizer circuit and maintain the ECU, BIU and key from the donor vehicle.

Thanks

Bill

Last edited by maclonchas; 02-01-2022 at 06:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did I read that correctly? With the AGT you no longer need the immobilizer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes that is true. You will need to talk with them since I left that project a long time ago. They have a lot of experience in that realm
    Roadster MK4 #10653 Date: 4-27-23; First Start: Oct 2023; Go Kart: Nov 2023; Body and Paint: To Kleiner EDD - April 2024; Graduated: TBD
    SBF Boss 347, Edelbrock ProFlo 4, Milodon Road Race Oil Pan, Tremec TKX 2.87/0.81 OD, IRS Dakota Digital Dash, FFMetal Firewall Forward, BOIG Lower Cool Pipes, Forte's Mechanical Throttle Linkage and Hydraulic Clutch, Breeze Radiator Fan Shroud- Radiator Support Kit and Battery Forward

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, that's pretty amazing. I sent them an email, hopefully they get back to me with good news!