FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 Front & Rear Suspension & Steering Question

Post Thanks / Like

818 Front & Rear Suspension & Steering Question

As noted in my other email on the build I am trying to do an 818C with 3.6L and 6MT transmission. I have no donor and building around a 2010 Legacy platform. My kit is not due until the end of June and I am purchasing and do my due diligence on parts that are needed for the car.

For the front suspension and steering I will use front lower control arm from a 2006-2007 WRX /STI OEM or Mevotech. This is the aluminum lower control arm and am trying to see if I am locked into a 2006/2007 knuckle (spindle) or can swap out to the 2010 knuckle?

The second question is a little more complicated. If I use a newer 6MT transmission (2010 -2018), will the CV axles from that same year cause a problem with the build? I am trying to go with newer electronic parking brake and rear rotors/calipers.

Thanks. Any wisdom or telling me that is not going to work is fine.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maclonchas View Post
    ... This is the aluminum lower control arm and am trying to see if I am locked into a 2006/2007 knuckle (spindle) or can swap out to the 2010 knuckle?
    I do not know if the 2010 front knuckles from a Legacy are compatible with the older WRX control arms (I highly doubt it). Without looking at them side by side I'm not sure how you could find out. I would stick with either WRX or STI knuckles. Remember, you can not mix and match knuckles, either use all WRX or all STI for the front and rear.

Quote Originally Posted by maclonchas View Post
    The second question is a little more complicated. If I use a newer 6MT transmission (2010 -2018), will the CV axles from that same year cause a problem with the build? I am trying to go with newer electronic parking brake and rear rotors/calipers.
    You do not use the donor axles, FFR provides new axles. What I think you mean is, "Will the donor CV joints work with the FFR supplied axles?". They should work without issue as the spline pattern has not changed for 6MT since they went with the newer style male ends. You will need the rear CV joint that matches whatever knuckles you go with (either WRX or STI).
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    I used 2008 legacy knuckles and WRX CV joints without issues. The outer splines seem to be the same, however the inner splines are not and you will have to make sure your ffr axles are correct, and will match with the CV joints you use.

Post Thanks / Like

Hobby Racer,

Thanks. That is what I thinking would be the case, but wanted to ferret out any items so my tracking list stays current and correct.

Thanks again,
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    I just learned the hard way you need to inspect your donor axles to make sure they are OEM and not aftermarket. Aftermarket axles sometimes have different spline count and diameters than Subaru OEM axles. I had to go buy new inner CV joints this weekend because my donor front axles were not OEM. Unfortunately Subaru does not sell the internal CV parts specifically the tri-lobe gear so I have to buy a whole salvaged axles so still cheaper than brand new. Just something to be cautious about when getting donor parts. FFR mentioned to me they only support the OEM specs so aftermarket is untested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all for your inputs. This helps me a lot in that search for parts.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neeraj Ahluwalia View Post
    I used 2008 legacy knuckles and WRX CV joints without issues. The outer splines seem to be the same, however the inner splines are not and you will have to make sure your ffr axles are correct, and will match with the CV joints you use.
    What LCA did you use with that combo? Were the rears also 2008Legacy knuckles? Can you snap a few photos of your install.

Thanks

Bill