Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: "Dip Your Car"

Post Thanks / Like

Question "Dip Your Car"

Hi all,
    Just wondering...has anyone used this approach as an interim solution between sanding and painting while deciding color?
    Mk4 Complete kit with IRS, IRS brakes, Power Steering, 302 mounts, 302 headers, TKO, 2 Rollbars, Leather seats,
    vintage gauges, polished stainless sidepipes, front and rear sway bars, all cutouts.
    Blueprint Engines 347 stroker; Tremec TKO 600; 3.55 IRS, 17" Bullitt wheels: 9" front 10.5" rear.
    Delivered Nov. 6, 2018. First start Aug. 11, 2019. First Go-Cart Feb. 21, 2020.

Post Thanks / Like
    My friend Craig (Mechie3 here on the forum) dipped his 818. I think he detailed the process in his build thread.

Jeff

3. Likes Jetfuel, nucjd19 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great!
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to show my ignorance here...DIP?
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankb View Post
    I'm going to show my ignorance here...DIP?
    It is a peelable paint.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/

I did some wheels in the past with the stuff worked great. When I black out my car this is what I will be using on the windshield frame so I don't have to risk the glass by pulling it apart. The only concern I have with it for a whole car is it doesn't react well to heat so not sure what it would do below the doors near the exhaust pipes.

Also you will still need to do all the bodywork before you dip the car for proper adherence which is the majority of the time/cost of paint anyways. Once that is done your not saving much over just painting it.
    Last edited by rthomas98; 12-14-2021 at 08:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't it a lot of work masking and spraying plasti-dip? Also, the body needs to be prepped well by sanding and bondoing... Prep steps are pretty much the same as the painting process. I believe the pre-pandemic price without the body-prep was in the $2-3,000s if you have the professionals do it. DIY is certainly doable, but just like painting, it might not come out clean... Plasti-dip has the same issues as the painting such as runny spots, zebra effects due to uneven coverage of the material... Lastly, when you want to peel them off, it's going to be a nightmare since the dip will be in every gap and hole... IMHO, I would just look at many paint samples, other finished cobras and paint mine permanently once and be over with it.
    Last edited by Madfor67; 12-14-2021 at 10:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J R Jones View Post
    …The advantages are not gloss or durability (3 years), it is peal-ability. That is good? It is not resistant to fuel. It requires six coats and most colors require base coats. Some colors are not UV resistant without a top coat. High gloss requires a professional top coat...
    “Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?”

Jeff

9. Likes nucjd19, Jetfuel, NC Cobra, JohnnyB, R. Button liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry paint guy Jeff. I defer to your wisdom and endorsement.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

12. Likes Joel Hauser, Cobradavid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    RJD, that's a great pic. Since it's in the 4 ft side of the pool would it be skinny dipping?
    MkII: 408 Dart block dry sump, 750cfm carb, G-Force T-5, 8.8 rear with 3.55 gears, 3-link, Kirkey seats, black ceramic coated twister mufflers with shields and adjustable turn down tips, passenger roll bar, front and rear roll bars. 2020 GT500 Magnetic metallic, with white and lime green stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now I know! BTW...thanks rthomas98!
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

15. Likes rthomas98 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas98 View Post
    It is a peelable paint.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/

I did some wheels in the past with the stuff worked great. When I black out my car this is what I will be using on the windshield frame so I don't have to risk the glass by pulling it apart. The only concern I have with it for a whole car is it doesn't react well to heat so not sure what it would do below the doors near the exhaust pipes.

Also you will still need to do all the bodywork before you dip the car for proper adherence which is the majority of the time/cost of paint anyways. Once that is done your not saving much over just painting it.
    did my wheels with this as well. then one time I forgot about it (yes, this stuff does look good), and tried to power wash the wheel. realized my mistake a bit too late, so then still used power washer to strip the paint. repainted and looks good. this stuff definitely helps to experiment with some color options, and make a decision. Probably will powder coat these wheels later though
    Build thread
    FFR mk4 roadster complete kit, 347 cu in carbed BluePrint engine, TKO600, IRS, power steering, ordered Jan2020, delivered 3/25/20, titled 8/23/20, finished 07/17/2021, graduated 10/06/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    ......"your car" isn't what comes to mind when I hear the word "Dip"...........WHAT!........Jus say'n.......I'm in one of my dark moods.......(music swells)....YOUR A MEAN ONE , MR. BAT, YOU'RE BALDING AND YOU'RE FAT, YOU'RE A DRUNK AND WOMANIZER, WON'T TAKE A SHOT FROM PFIZER........Come on man......you know the thing...Brandon. whoops I mean ...da Bat

18. Likes turbomacncheese liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    “Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?”

Jeff
    Just as I thought: not worth the bother and why waste the time and money. Best to just go ahead with body prep and "REAL" paint.
    Now...what color? Thinking Lexus Indigo Ink Pearl!
    Mk4 Complete kit with IRS, IRS brakes, Power Steering, 302 mounts, 302 headers, TKO, 2 Rollbars, Leather seats,
    vintage gauges, polished stainless sidepipes, front and rear sway bars, all cutouts.
    Blueprint Engines 347 stroker; Tremec TKO 600; 3.55 IRS, 17" Bullitt wheels: 9" front 10.5" rear.
    Delivered Nov. 6, 2018. First start Aug. 11, 2019. First Go-Cart Feb. 21, 2020.