Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perfect quarantine project #9815

Post Thanks / Like

Perfect quarantine project #9815

Greetings all,

We are Alex and Alex, father and son, and we are building Roadster MK4 #9815. Ordered on Jan 31st, build date 3/21/2020, loaded on truck the day FFR shut down due to COVID-19, and delivered to Newtown Square, PA the next day, exactly a week ago — on March 25th. It's still hard to contain the excitement when we enter our garage! It's good that we have it now considering all self-isolation orders happening in PA and other states.

Some specs:
    • Complete kit
    • powder coated chassis
    • IRS, including brake kit, center section and spindles
    • headers
    • body cut outs
    • power steering
    • FFR GPS gauge set
    • Dash with glovebox
    • Right side rollbar (powder coated in black).
    • 15" wheel/tire package.

we also got a BluePrint 347 carb engine with TKO600 gearbox.

We already went through the boxes inspecting the parts (really helps to get acquainted with a lot of things). Only a couple of things were missing:
    - aluminum panel 10906 (rear tunnel cover)
    - 1 brake line adapter. There are two on the list in Box 2A (25502 10mm brake line metric adapter and 12409 1/4” brake line adapter). One of them is available - we think it’s a 1/4”, but couldn’t identify with 100% certainty). So I guess it’s a 10mm adapter missing.

I sent an email to FFR, but since they are shutdown, no response yet.

POL parts that are missing:
    - the wheels and tires package
    - FFR badges
    - wood steering wheel
    - transmission bolt-on mount
    - side exhausts
    - power steering return hose
    - power steering pressure line
    - right side rollbar

Our garage after accepting shipment (much worse now, of course)
    IMG_7995.jpeg

Our garage after taking the body off
    IMG_8063.jpg

some parts are on, yay!
    IMG_8085.jpg

Drilling and cutting the spindles and a center section was a bit nerve-recking
    IMG_8094.jpg
    IMG_8100.jpg

So far the hardest part was to pull in the bolts into a hub. We've read the tips here on the forum, and somehow managed to fix one of the hubs, but I'm still considering dropping another hub off to a mechanic and asking for help. We can spend the energy that it requires on something more productive:
    IMG_8086.jpg

Now we are putting the center section on a frame. Rear bolts are not aligning very well, but there is some wiggle room for us to try, we'll handle it tomorrow.
    IMG_8103.jpg

So far — a lot of fun! My only wish is for FFR guys to take a look at LEGO kits' assembly manual and get some inspiration from there for improvements, some clarity and details wouldn't hurt!

Edit: apologies about some photos being upside down!
    Last edited by alexmak; 04-01-2020 at 09:44 PM.

2. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! You’re going to love it. Best decision I ever made.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and you will love the build. The question is, who gets to drive it because once she is road worthy, neither of you will want to give her up.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    We'll figure the who gets to drive thing when we get there. meanwhile here we are, pretending like we are ready to roll
    IMG_7993.jpg

6. Likes Mark Eaton, GTBradley, Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    God bless you guys, stay safe, stay well, and enjoy your jigsaw puzzle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and enjoy

9. Likes Mick40 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's just say that inserting upper and lower control arms in the back is not for the faint-hearted! A lot of swearing and sweating.
    IMG_8118.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats guys! Perfect time for it to arrive. You shouldn’t get bored cooped up in the house...

Post Thanks / Like
    So far we’ve gotten pretty far along with the build, finishing off the front and rear suspension. We’ve moved on to the pedal box and encountered a problem. It seems that several parts are missing from the kit. They are not listed on the parts list for some reason. Just in case, we’ve searched all the boxes and still weren’t able to find the clutch quadrant and other parts. The photo of the missing parts is attached (the missing parts are circled).

Has anyone upgraded to a hydraulic clutch and might be willing to sell the parts from the assembly? We’ve obviously contacted FFR, but who knows when they are coming back.
    816B4723-A00E-4EC8-AC31-B23C18067155.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by alexmak; 04-05-2020 at 04:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on your project. As for as missing the Clutch quadrant parts, I would go back to the pack list see it it was packed and shipped. Maybe they did not ship it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmcallahan View Post
    Congratulations on your project. As for as missing the Clutch quadrant parts, I would go back to the pack list see it it was packed and shipped. Maybe they did not ship it.
    yeah, we went through the whole list twice, and don't see neither quadrant parts, no clutch cable, and a couple of other minor things related to the pedal box.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a slightly used cable and the quadrant parts. Yours for shipping costs.
    AAZ

Post Thanks / Like
    so for now we decided to skip the pedal box assembly, still working on getting the parts. Put a steering together (no steering wheel either), installed a fuel tank, bunch of panels and got to the fuel lines section in the assembly manual. I noticed in other threads that a lot of people do not use FFR provided fuel lines, instead opting for braided shiny fuel lines. Any suggestion on the fuel lines brand, length, routing, etc?
    IMG_8163.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's where we are so far:
    IMG_8131.jpg

IMG_8133.jpg

IMG_8134.jpg

IMG_8136.jpeg

IMG_8163 2.jpg

IMG_8188.jpg

and now we are at the fuel lines and brakes lines stage, and it gets a little bit more complicated. We'll see how it goes. Brakes lines should be fine, except the missing 10mm adapter (I also couldn't fine a page in the assembly manual that would mention using that adapter).

Fuel lines is something else entirely, as I could see in other threads a lot of people use flexible lines (partially). Please advise which to buy?

Also a couple of questions regarding a location for fuel filter and a fuel pump:
    - what is the correct order? (carb engine, inline filter)
    - what is the best place to install both of them?

Post Thanks / Like
    The brake lines that come with the kit are fine, but more rigid and somewhat more difficult to work with (I used them). Some people opt for the softer Nicopp brake lines. I think they are a nickel/copper material.

There are tons of posts regarding enlarging the fuel line size too. I preferred the flexible braided fuel line throughout. It’s super easy to work with and Mark at Breeze was helpful in deciding what to use.

FYI, You are beyond the 20 post limitation now, you might consider doing a signature line. It’s a good place for quick information like engine type and other mods that will help people respond without investigating background info. No requirement by any means, but you might find it handy.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 04-10-2020 at 09:39 AM.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    FYI, You are beyond the 20 post limitation now, you might consider doing a signature line. It’s a good place for quick information like engine type and other mods that will help people respond without investigating background info. No requirement by any means, but you might find it handy.
    thank you, will do that

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, we need some help from the experts!

Couple of posts ago I asked about a quadrant and a cable for clutch pedal that was missing from the FFR kit. Apparently, our transmission from Blueprint is already "hydraulic-ready" — it has hydraulic throw-out-bearings, so we don't need them:

IMG_8241.jpg

One hose is a bleeder valve, the other is a feed line that needs to be connected to a master cylinder.

I was considering getting a hydraulic clutch conversion kit from Forte's, but if I understand correctly, I no longer need Forte’s complete kit.

We ordered a master cylinder, a reservoir and a hose, and got some instructions from BP on setting all this up. https://wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/MasterCylinderProd?itemno=260-10372

Will update on the progress.
    Last edited by alexmak; 04-16-2020 at 07:55 AM.
    Build thread
    FFR mk4 roadster complete kit, 347 cu in carbed BluePrint engine, TKO600, IRS, power steering, ordered Jan2020, delivered 3/25/20, titled 8/23/20, finished 07/17/2021, graduated 10/06/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    fabricated a bracket for holding all three reservoirs - two for brakes, one for hydraulic clutch. turned out pretty decent
    IMG_8429.jpg

IMG_8430.jpg

IMG_8431.jpg

dashboard and electric harness, here we go.
    Build thread
    FFR mk4 roadster complete kit, 347 cu in carbed BluePrint engine, TKO600, IRS, power steering, ordered Jan2020, delivered 3/25/20, titled 8/23/20, finished 07/17/2021, graduated 10/06/2021

22. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alexmak View Post
    Guys, we need some help from the experts!

Couple of posts ago I asked about a quadrant and a cable for clutch pedal that was missing from the FFR kit. Apparently, our transmission from Blueprint is already "hydraulic-ready" — it has hydraulic throw-out-bearings, so we don't need them:

IMG_8241.jpg

One hose is a bleeder valve, the other is a feed line that needs to be connected to a master cylinder.

I was considering getting a hydraulic clutch conversion kit from Forte's, but if I understand correctly, I no longer need Forte’s complete kit.

We ordered a master cylinder, a reservoir and a hose, and got some instructions from BP on setting all this up. https://wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/MasterCylinderProd?itemno=260-10372

Will update on the progress.
    I also have the same HRB setup from BPE. I bought the hydraulic clutch master cylinder option from FFR. It has a 3/4" master cylinder and once I bench bled it, bleeding the rest of the hydraulic clutch line was super easy. Did BPE mention anything about using a clutch pedal stop? I'm not using one but have read that others do.
    Thanks!
    Mk IV Roadster #9749, Kit received Jan 2, 2020, Blueprint SBF 347 TKO600 Holley Sniper EFI, Dual roll bars, IRS, 17" Halibrand, Nitto 555 G2 245, 315 Road legal Oct 20, 2020

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddy Dad View Post
    I also have the same HRB setup from BPE. I bought the hydraulic clutch master cylinder option from FFR. It has a 3/4" master cylinder and once I bench bled it, bleeding the rest of the hydraulic clutch line was super easy. Did BPE mention anything about using a clutch pedal stop? I'm not using one but have read that others do.
    Thanks!
    I haven’t heard anything about it, and didn’t see anything in the FAQ Johnny has sent out. Probably will have to ask him about that.

We only bought a reservoir from FFR, I bought a cylinder kit separately. Not moving fast because FFR is closed and we don’t have the wheels
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the manual is a bit clunky. No matter how well you try to follow it, you will need to utilize photos in later sections to understand some of it. We have all been there!

It's part of the build-Congrats!

Ernie
    7891RD arrived 10/02/2012, Go Kart 10/18/2013, Graduated 7/27/2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Who did you guys purchase the powertrain through? What an awesome Father Son project during the Quarantine

Post Thanks / Like
    We went with BluePrint engine
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    So we are almost done with harness routing (I’m sure there’s gonna be a lot more of electrical stuff in the future), and I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to set up FFR Vintage gauges with the dash harness provided (eve though our electrical experience is quite limited).

Anyway, we got to the “drivetrain install” section in the assembly manual, and here’s a question. Our 15” wheels/tires combo from FFR is backordered, and FFR is closed, so ETA is unknown. So far we had the frame on the dolly, but it looks like the dolly is not really compatible with the drivetrain. So to install the engine we need to swap it for jack stands. The fact that the frame will become immobile for the time being is an inconvenience, but we can live with that. Is it OK to drop in the engine and the gearbox while the frame is on jack stands? Is it stable/safe enough for such major undertaking? (I have 3-ton jack stands)
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, so FFR cannot send me my wheels and tires package because they are backordered, and the wheels from my Camaro don’t really fit, but the mad max look is totally worth it
    1B060B3D-9F33-4343-BB22-27C8092A67E6_1_105_c.jpeg
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that looks appropriate!!

Just wanted to say that I've been reading your posts along the way. I do not yet have my roadster (damn this pandemic!) so watching you and your son make progress is keeping me sane. I don't have much to contribute as I don't have experience, but please know it is helpful for those of us coming up behind you to watch how you get around issues.

Keep up the great work and enjoy the time with your son!

31. Likes alexmak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 400BA View Post
    I think that looks appropriate!!

Just wanted to say that I've been reading your posts along the way. I do not yet have my roadster (damn this pandemic!) so watching you and your son make progress is keeping me sane. I don't have much to contribute as I don't have experience, but please know it is helpful for those of us coming up behind you to watch how you get around issues.

Keep up the great work and enjoy the time with your son!
    Thank you so much for these kind words! Frankly I feel bad we don't post many updates like some people do describing all the struggles and issues we discover and solve. But it's so much fun. the steepest learning curve but so satisfying!
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI...
    I know the manual says to install the steering bearing flange on the engine compartment side of the mount but you should install on the inside/cockpit side. If you ever have to remove the steering shaft, it's darn near impossible the way you have it now. I found out the hard way.

By the way.... Your build looks great. Making great progress, quickly.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

34. Thanks bldr.rob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's ALIVE!!!

not without surprises, but we will get those ironed out. Holy sh.. what an amazing feeling!
    Build thread

36. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! That was quick to first start.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
    Congrats! That was quick to first start.
    Thank you! About 2.5 months, but yesterday was probably more intense. That’s the start after about three hours of meddling with fuel delivery issues, then fuel leaking, then replacing fuel line completely, then trying to fix power steering leaking, then solving the no sparks issue, etc, etc… and then it finally started! ��
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! I'm still a few months away (at least) from go-carting, but it's nice to see a successful start. Congrats!
    MKIV Complete Kit #9822 l BluePrint 347 EFI l TKO600 l Power Steering l Heater/Defrost l Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I can just listen to this on repeat
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work!!! Wow, 2.5 months to go-kart.... impressive. Your good motivation for me, I still have a long way to go. Congrats on the first start... sounds great!
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, at this point the drivetrain and wiring are officially finished! We had Mark the traveling builder checking on the build, confirming that everything looks good, and now the body part begins!
    IMG_9164.jpg
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Well done. You are doing nice work at a record pace. Glad to see quarantine time being put to good use. Thanks for sharing that sound.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

44. Thanks alexmak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you! About 2.5 months, but yesterday was probably more intense. That’s the start after about three hours of meddling with fuel delivery issues, then fuel leaking, then replacing fuel line completely, then trying to fix power steering leaking, then solving the no sparks issue, etc, etc… and then it finally started! ��
    Well Done. Getting ready to start my build next week. You have inspired me. Also a father-son build.

Post Thanks / Like
    curious how you attached the dash?
    MK IV - #9586, Gen 2 Coyote, TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D02G View Post
    curious how you attached the dash?
    The dash has Everson’s support panel underneath and some heavy duty Velcro on the tube and a dash. It makes it removable if needed, without hideous bolts visible in it.
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Took some photos for inspection

0DAFEA93-F2D2-4CD7-87C4-0EB748E2DC90.jpg
    DC322E4A-F28C-41AC-870E-F6F0AB749D83.jpg
    8A61AEF7-D3E4-4F16-9263-233208877CFC.jpg
    818453F0-B7B3-4CDF-B8F1-EB52BDD802F8.jpg

Nevermind the wipers wire hangin there - it’s for the inspection only. Also mirrors are on double-sided tape, thermal tape wrapped exhaust is also just for the pictures, oh, and the hood is not attached in anyway! But hey, looks finished, so we will see
    Build thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast